× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

switch con porte sfp+ da 10Gb

VinceFerr
Aspirant

switch con porte sfp+ da 10Gb

Stavo guardando alcuni switch 1Gb con 2/4 porte SFP+ da 10Gb.
Scrivono tutti porte da uplink/stacking, cioè dovrebbero servire per collegare altri switch e usare una banda fino a 20-40Gb tra i vari switch collegati.

MA è possibile collegare dei pc con schede SFP+ con cavo sfp+DAC direttamente a un solo switch?
Cioè se ho uno switch con 4 porte sfp+, posso collegarci 4 pc con schede sfp+ da 10Gb e farli comunicare a 10Gb o a 1Gb con altre porte normali? Oltre ad essere porte di uplink, si possono usare anche come normali porte di access?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Rif.: switch con porte sfp+ da 10Gb

Reason for my curiosity question was hat I was not aware of such a Netgear switch model with GbE plus four SFP+. On the GS728TX (and all four S3300 models), of the four dedicated 10 GbE ports  are two 10GBASE-T, and two are SFP+: 

Screenshot_20180217-102226.png

Said that, all the 10 GbE ports are generic ports, available for any purpose at any speed (except of the new 2.5G and 5G MultiGig). 

What I don't know is if Netgear does enforce the usage of Netgear SFP+ modules with a Netgear ID on this model line. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
VinceFerr
Aspirant

I'm sorry, I thought I was in the italian section...

Anyway I was looking at some switches with sfp+ ports with 10Gb: they say they can be used to uplink/stack other swtiches at 20-40Gb.

My question was if I have 4 sfp+ 10Gb ports on a 1Gb switch, can I use these ports to directly connect 4 pc with 4 10Gb sfp+ boards and sfp+DAC cables? Do they communicate among them at 10Gb or with other machines in the switch at 1Gb?

Message 2 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Non preoccuparti, puoi italiano, inglese, tedesco, francese ... but easier to commmunicate in English here.

@VinceFerrwrote:

My question was if I have 4 sfp+ 10Gb ports on a 1Gb switch, can I use these ports to directly connect 4 pc with 4 10Gb sfp+ boards and sfp+DAC cables? Do they communicate among them at 10Gb or with other machines in the switch at 1Gb?

In general yes, there is non-blocking almost full wire switching speed on all 10G and 1G ports, any to any.

Not sure what Netgear switch model you have in mind.

Message 3 of 9
VinceFerr
Aspirant

For example the S3300

http://www.netgear.it/business/products/switches/smart/S3300-28X.aspx#tab-specifichetecniche

It has 24 normal port at 1Gb and 4 sfp+ 10Gb ports for uplink/stacking.

They only speak of "uplink/stacking", so instead you say you could set VLAN and other rules also on these 4 sfp+ ports? And communicate with all the other ports like if they were normal access port, even L2+ routing and so on?

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Reason for my curiosity question was hat I was not aware of such a Netgear switch model with GbE plus four SFP+. On the GS728TX (and all four S3300 models), of the four dedicated 10 GbE ports  are two 10GBASE-T, and two are SFP+: 

Screenshot_20180217-102226.png

Said that, all the 10 GbE ports are generic ports, available for any purpose at any speed (except of the new 2.5G and 5G MultiGig). 

What I don't know is if Netgear does enforce the usage of Netgear SFP+ modules with a Netgear ID on this model line. 

Message 5 of 9
VinceFerr
Aspirant

Ok, so those 4 sfp+ are considered like normal ports (that can be used ALSO to uplink/stack), good.

So you think it could not work using a generic sfp+DAC cable? Maybe that ID thing could be a problem only with optical sfp+ modules?

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@VinceFerrwrote:

Ok, so those 4 sfp+ are considered like normal ports (that can be used ALSO to uplink/stack), good.

As per the specifications I see there are just two SFP+ plus two 10GBASE-T ports - so not sure why you continue to talk of four SFP+ ports. Just want to avoid you are going to order something wrong 8-)

@VinceFerr wrote:

So you think it could not work using a generic sfp+DAC cable? Maybe that ID thing could be a problem only with optical sfp+ modules?

No experience with non-Netgear modules/DAC on this model line on my side.

Message 7 of 9
VinceFerr
Aspirant

Yes, you are right, but my originally question was more generic, i.e. 2/4 sfp+ because I saw also this other model M5300 that has 10Gb and 6 sfp:

http://www.netgear.it/business/products/switches/managed/M5300-28G.aspx#tab-specifichetecniche

BUT, I was misleading by the pic, because in the specs there still are only 2 sfp+ 10Gb (+2 RJ45 10Gb), whilst other 4 sfp are only 1Gb...

Anyway my overall question was if the uplink ports can be also used as normal access ports, and the answer was: yes, good. Thank you.

Message 8 of 9
Marv21
Guide

Care with the M5300. The front ports are NOT dedicated, the 4 Ports are sharing 20GBits.

I have the M4300, and use Allnet, 10Gtek and Netgear modules in it.

If you have the money you could buy a sfp programmer or look here at flexoptix.net.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements