× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

traverse multiple vlans with a device that has no gateway

auniquename
Aspirant

traverse multiple vlans with a device that has no gateway

I have vlan 10, 20, 30 and 40 configured on 4 switches

I have a device(let's call it "BBB") that does not have a default gateway (it's configured w/another route for remote access)

Presently I can access any device on the same vlan (it's cabled to port 2 w/vlan 10) on the same switch via BBB

The switch has a trunked port allowing all vlans, the switch also has vlans built w/an ip address 4th octet ending in 100

The default gateway points to a fortinet

But I can't access any other device in another vlan on another switch using BBB

The 4 switches are all trunked together allowing all vlans (it's inline  switch A <> switch B <> switch C <> switch D)

I've replaced BBB w/a laptop configured w/a default gateway and I can ping all devices on all vlans on all switches.

but the laptop w/o a default gateway, I can only ping devices on that switch (switch A) and nowhere else

any ideas?

Message 1 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: traverse multiple vlans with a device that has no gateway

Hi @auniquename

Welcome to the community!

According your description, it's work as design.

If host want to ping same VLAN device, it's no need forwarding by gateway, just running Layer-2 forwarding(mac table-based).

If host want to ping different VLAN device, it's need forwarding by gateway, need running Layer-3 forwarding(route table-based).

So you must set default gateway for device, then it can ping both same VLAN devcie and defferent VLAN device.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

EricZ
NETGEAR employee

Message 2 of 7
auniquename
Aspirant

but you're not reviewing the question well enough.

The device (BBB) already has a default gateway which points to the WAN.

Device BBB is used for remote access, and it does not have a 2nd default gateway.

again no default gateway can be configured on the LAN NIC

On device BBB connection to the LAN via switch, it can only reach devices on that switch, in that vlan.

I need to be able to ping another device on another vlan which resides on another switch.

I hope this make it a bit clearer

Device BBB <-> switch A vlan A (all devices ping) <-> switch B vlan B (unable to reach any device)

Message 3 of 7
auniquename
Aspirant

does the switch have intervlan routing capability?

GS752TPS

Message 4 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@auniquename,

GS752TPS does not support intervlan routing capability. You might need to check intervlan routing on your router / firewall as it is the one that handles your VLAN gateways.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Message 5 of 7
auniquename
Aspirant

none of the answers are relevant, the topic is a device without a gateway address, needs to traverse more than 1 vlan, can this be done with your switches? if yes, how to configure?
Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@auniquename

Of course support.

You have to add the uplink port(connect between two switch) to VLANs with tagged mode, then the port will traverse these VLANs traffic.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements