× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: vlan participation question

tbirddave
Aspirant

vlan participation question

I am having trouble understanding the "Vlan participation" command.   I have an uplink from this switch to our core switch.  My predesssors have put in the following definition for the interface:

interface 0/23
mtu 12288
switchport mode trunk
vlan participation include 23-24
exit

There are vlans 1 - 25 defined on this switch.  We are including 23 and 24 as you see, but what happens to the rest?  Are they considered auto participation?

Thanks in advance.

Model: M7100-24X (XSM7224)|ProSAFE 24-port 10G Fully Managed L2 Switch
Message 1 of 9
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi tbirddave,

Welcome to our community!

VLAN participation configures the degree of participation for a specific interface or range of interfaces in a VLAN. "Include" means that the interface is always a member of this VLAN. This is equivalent to registration fixed. The other VLANs will be excluded.

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
tbirddave
Aspirant

Thanks, for your response.  However I do not believe that this is the case, and that is the reason for the question.  If what you are saying is true, then the other vlans should not be available via this uplink.  This uplink is the trunk port to the core.   I can access hosts through this link on other vlans directly attached to the switch. 

I'm guessing if what you are saying IS true, then we should not be using this command at all and set the port to auto.   Does that make sense?

Message 3 of 9

Hello Smiley Happy

It simply means the interface 0/23 is a trunk port on VLAN 23 & 24.

interface 0/23
mtu 12288
switchport mode trunk
vlan participation include 23-24
exit

Message 4 of 9
tbirddave
Aspirant

Ok,  Thanks.

Message 5 of 9
tbirddave
Aspirant

So if I want to include all the vlans defined (1-25)  I would include those vlans too or do I delete the statement altogether let it assume auto?

Message 6 of 9

Hello,

Based on the configuration on interface 23 only VLAN 23 & 24 are allowed on this ports. I hope that clarifies it.

Message 7 of 9

Defining the VLAN (1-25) is a more secure option Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9

Hello 

Yes, you can delete vlan participation include but the more secure option is to indicate a VLAN 😃

I hope that answers your question. Please hit thumbs up if you like my response. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements