× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xs728 switch interconnect

rc42
Aspirant

xs728 switch interconnect

Let's not go into the why I'm doing it this way, it is what it is.

I've got two xs728T switches. On both vlan1 has an IP address and is used for management. One port on each switch connects back to the distribution stack. This is used for management only.

Both switches also have vlans 101 and 102. Thes should not have any communication with the distribution switch, which does not have these vlans.

I need vlans 101 and 102 to communicate between the two xs728t switched, this can not go through the distribution switch.

Normally I'd create a trunk limited to just the 101 and 102 vlans and interconnect the switches. But despite limiting the ports to vlan 101 and 102, when it's connected something happens that looks like a loop and I lose access to the management IP of the second xs729t.

I have to admit I haven't worked with the Netgear much and the lack of a CLI to look at the actual configuration, has me thinking I'm missing something. I've tried a number of vlan and seurity/traffic flow option but nothing seems to make any difference.

Any help would be greatly appriciated. 

Message 1 of 3
Carl_z
NETGEAR Expert

Re: xs728 switch interconnect

Hi rc42,

Welcome to the community!

From your description,I have the same doubt that there have a loop  .

So can you kindly try to disable STP from gloable  then let us see how things going.

About how to disable STP on gloable you can refer this page119. (Chage Spanning tree State to Disable).

Tips: Switches like XS728t provide a management via web which is more convenient than CLI.  And this is the user manual,I think I can help you to get familiar with Netgear siwtch

Hope it helps

Best Regards

Carl

Netgear Employee

Message 2 of 3
rc42
Aspirant

Re: xs728 switch interconnect

I ended up disabling BPDU Forwarding, and everything seemed to be working, this was last night. Just now I took a look at the CST Port Configuration and it shows the Port State as Blocking, which doesn't sound good, but everything does seems to be working, so why does it say Blocking? Well it is working so it's not a critical thing.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements