Shop Meural NFT Display
Welcome to the Community Please Login

Brand new Meural Canvas II MC327 doesn't connect to home wi-fi in initial setup

ArtFan
Tutor

Brand new Meural Canvas II MC327 doesn't connect to home wi-fi in initial setup

I purcgased a brand new Meural Canvas II MC327. I tried to connect it to my home wi-fi, but it didn't no matter what I tried.

The Meural app shows this message "Incorrect network name or password".

I have an older Canvas MC227 that works normally on the same wi-fi network.

I was on the phone with tech support for hours yesterday.

The only step forward was getting away from Welcome screen on the Canvas to Gesture Tutorial screen. I skipped Gesture Tutorial on the canvas,
and the screen changed to display a picture of mountains and message at the top "You don't have any images on your Meural. etc". I had access to the canvas' Main Menu.

It didn't help, whatever I did led me back to the same login failure message and the same Welcome screen on the Canvas.

Here's the instructions from Meural expert I followed:

Kindly find the below Trouble Shooting Steps for Meural Canvas.

1. First take a paper clip and do the hard reset of the Meural Canvas for 60 seconds.
2. Now connect your Phone/ Laptop to the meural Wi-Fi network and then open up a web browser and type 10.42.0.1/remote on the address bar.
3. Now you can see the Meural remote page and then select Wi-Fi network option and below that select your Home Wi-Fi network and enter the password.
4. Now on the canvas screen Gesture Tutorial will start. Kindly follow the on screen instructions.
5. Now connect your phone to the Home Wi-Fi and then open the Meural App and complete the setup.
Now your canvas is Online and connected to the Wi-Fi.

With Regards,
Afnan Khan | Meural Expert

Then I was on the phone with another tech support agent and I followed all his instructions, no success. Removing the Canvas from the account and adding/registering it again by scanning QR code on the Canvas (or entering S/N manually, it's the same thing), clearing all networks on the Main Menu on the Canvas. All available and imaginable operations...

Please, help!

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
ArtFan
Tutor

Re: Brand new Meural Canvas II MC327 doesn't connect to home wi-fi

I finally managed to connect (yesterday morning) my new MC327 Canvas to my home Wi-Fi.

I did the same actions as I did before many times, but this time it did connect!

The only difference was that I first cleared the Canvas' router record:

I opened my Xfinity app, went to Connect, then to Devices Not Connected list, opened the Canvas' (initially automatically assigned by my Gateway/Router to 5Ghz band) record, and tapped the button Forget.

Therefore, I believe that was the reason.

The rest was easy: 
I just added the Canvas to my Netgear/Meural account by manually typing in the app its S/N or Product ID.
The Canvas appeared (with Online status) in the Meural app and in my online account page (my.meural.netgear.com/canvases/).

Sequence of actions and their results:
1. hard-reset the Canvas (Meural logo with "Powered by Netgear", then followed by dark screen, appear three times in a row)
2. scanned its QR code.
3. connected my laptop to its Wi-Fi local network.
4. opened its Remote Controller (10.42.0.1/remote by default in Chrome browser) webpage.
5. selected (in Wi-Fi Network section of the webpage) my 2.4Ghz network SSID in the drop-down (Loading...) list, then "Join Network", entered the key/password and clicked on Connect button.
6. the SSID name of my home network was displayed in place of "Loading...".
6. the Canvas showed something like "Connected to the [SSID name]..." and the first image on my SD card (I inserted it before, or it would display an image in Meural Sampler playlist). In the Browse menu there was Sampler playlist.

Conclusions:
1. the Canvas software/firmware FAILED to work seamlessly with Comcast Gateway (XB7 type) Wi-Fi at the start, because it had one single Wi-Fi combined of two bands 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and one single SSID and key/password. At first it assigned the Canvas to 5Ghz automatically band behind the scenes.

2. the Canvas software/firmware FAILED to connect to my home Wi-Fi after I made a split of one combined Wi-Fi into two bands, though all my other devices didn't even "notice" the change (that split means I turned off automatic control of which device to which band to connect).

3. These failures are especially troublesome considering other two facts:
- my 10-year old Canvas MC227 didn't have any connection problems in my home Wi-Fi network,
- Netgear (major networking equipment manufacturer, that makes Wi-Fi routers) acquired Meural 5 years ago, it could make the Canvas Wi-Fi functionality simply the best there is. 

There is only one explanation now: the router kept the record of initial band assignment of the Canvas, and that was somehow (?) the reason why the Canvas couldn't connect.
Only AFTER I cleared that (see at the top of this post) the Canvas' was able to normally connect.

I hope this may help you with resolution of similar problems.

I consider it unacceptable that the newest Canvas' firmware has these Wi-Fi connection problems. 
Tech Support tried to but couldn't resolve this issue.

My thanks to the expert Abhay (sorry if I misspelled his name) who helped and cared for my frustration. We spoke on the phone several times. The conversation yesterday (after I resolved the problem) was very useful for both of us.
I very much hope that this would help other Meural Canvas owners.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Brand new Meural Canvas II MC327 doesn't connect to home wi-fi in initial setup

Hello ArtFan,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having issues connecting your Meural to your home Wi-Fi. The error that you are experiencing is an authentication issue that occurs when the network credentials do not match the current network credentials of your network. 

Please ensure that you are using the most updated version of the Meural app then double-check your network login credentials then do the following:

1. Plug in and turn on your Meural Canvas.
  2. Wave down to display the menu.
  3. Select WiFi > Clear all connections.
  4. Wave down to display the menu.
  5. Select More > Walkthrough.
  6. Launch the Meural app.
  7. Tap the Canvas icon at the bottom left of the screen.
  8. If you own more than one Canvas, tap Canvas at the top left of the screen and select your Canvas.
  9. Tap Connect Canvas at the center of the screen.
  10. Tap GET STARTED.
  11. Scan the QR code at the bottom left of your Canvas.
  12. Select your home WiFi network and enter your WiFi password.

(You may want to do these steps with your MC227 first to verify your network credentials.)

(If you have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks please try connecting to the 2.4Ghz band first.)

Please keep me updated on the progress of this issue!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 2 of 7
ArtFan
Tutor

Re: Brand new Meural Canvas II MC327 doesn't connect to home wi-fi in initial setup

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I did all that already multiple times while on the phone with two tech support agents.

I checked and re-checked my home Wi-Fi network credentials on my cell phone and on my laptop. I entered the SSID and password (security key) correctly on the Meural Remote webpage and in Meural app every time.

I didn't make any changes in my home network settings.

I have only one single band 5GHz.

MC227 is connected to 5Ghz band and working, though I read some messages that it can't connect to 5Ghz according to Meural experts in the community.

So, the new MC327 I am trying to connect is supposed to connect to the same band, I don't choose which band to use.

My cell phone, my laptop and every other device are connected to 5GHz.

At the initial setup of my Comcast Xfinity that band was selected automatically by default.

What is the rationale then to move to 2.4GHz, I don't understand?

(If the new MC327 is not working well with 5GHz, but I think it is.)

Thank you again,

- ArtFan

Message 3 of 7
ArtFan
Tutor

I have to correct myself about my Wi-Fi home network facts.

I have a Comcast Xfinity xFi Advanced Gateway XB7. Here's Comcast explanation: 
"these gateways have been upgraded with software that manages advanced WiFi settings automatically to help optimize your home network and provide the best performance possible.
Advanced WiFi settings for gateways with this software enhancement are not visible and cannot be managed from the Admin Tool or Xfinity xFi."

I don't see two separate band network names, they have one name and one key, so, it's impossible to make a mistake by entering wrong credentials when asked to connect the Canvas to home Wi-Fi network.

I looked at my Gateway/Router settings and saw no way to change anything in the Wi-Fi. The Gateway's software decides which my device connect to which Wi-Fi channel.

Currently my older Canvas is connected to 2.4Ghz. I don't have any way to select it for my new MC327 Canvas, it is selected automatically by the Gateway's software.

I can't follow your instruction to connect it to 2.4Ghz band.

What should I do?

Message 4 of 7
ArtFan
Tutor

Hello Kevin,

I did some digging into Xfinity xFi Wi-Fi working. I found that I can split the combined ONE channel back into two channels 2.4Ghz and 5Ghzm, with two separate SSID's and security keys (passwords).

I did that and now all my connected devices are connected to 2.4Ghz, except for some that were automatically connected to 5Ghz I will need to re-connect them due to new credentials for 5Ghz channel.

Then I did the following:

1. hard-reset the new MC327 Canvas

2. connected my laptop to the Meural Canvas MC327 local network

3. entered 10.42.0.1/remote in Chrome browser URL address bar for the Remote Tool webpage

4. on the Remote Tool webpage  I selected my @2.4Ghz network SSID, entered the key and clicked on Connect button

5. popup message "Please check your Canvas for the connection status" appeared while the Canvas was showing "Connecting...".

6. the Canvas showed the same Welcome screen.

The new Canvas shows on My Meural Devices in the Meural app, Offline.

If I remove it from my account and try to register it anew by Add New Meural, the app shows an error message:

"There's an issue with your network

You're not connected to the internet"

Does it refer to the Canvas? 

As for my phone it IS connected to the internet on the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi.

It is very ironic, that a networking company Netgear owns Meural for 5 years but the new Canvas has so many problems with Wi-Fi connection. While the old 2013 MC227 works normal, the newest one can't connect to the same network.

I don't know what else I can do at this point. I can't make it even to the point that the Main Manu is accessible on the Canvas.

No options to try are left for me. I really need your assistance.

Help, please!

Message 5 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ArtFan,

Thank you for providing that information!

Please provide the following information through private message so I can endorse you to our support team:

Name:
Email:
Phone Number:
Device Model:
Firmware:
Serial Number:
Preferred time to be contacted:
App version:

Please provide this information as soon as possible!
I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 6 of 7
ArtFan
Tutor

Re: Brand new Meural Canvas II MC327 doesn't connect to home wi-fi

I finally managed to connect (yesterday morning) my new MC327 Canvas to my home Wi-Fi.

I did the same actions as I did before many times, but this time it did connect!

The only difference was that I first cleared the Canvas' router record:

I opened my Xfinity app, went to Connect, then to Devices Not Connected list, opened the Canvas' (initially automatically assigned by my Gateway/Router to 5Ghz band) record, and tapped the button Forget.

Therefore, I believe that was the reason.

The rest was easy: 
I just added the Canvas to my Netgear/Meural account by manually typing in the app its S/N or Product ID.
The Canvas appeared (with Online status) in the Meural app and in my online account page (my.meural.netgear.com/canvases/).

Sequence of actions and their results:
1. hard-reset the Canvas (Meural logo with "Powered by Netgear", then followed by dark screen, appear three times in a row)
2. scanned its QR code.
3. connected my laptop to its Wi-Fi local network.
4. opened its Remote Controller (10.42.0.1/remote by default in Chrome browser) webpage.
5. selected (in Wi-Fi Network section of the webpage) my 2.4Ghz network SSID in the drop-down (Loading...) list, then "Join Network", entered the key/password and clicked on Connect button.
6. the SSID name of my home network was displayed in place of "Loading...".
6. the Canvas showed something like "Connected to the [SSID name]..." and the first image on my SD card (I inserted it before, or it would display an image in Meural Sampler playlist). In the Browse menu there was Sampler playlist.

Conclusions:
1. the Canvas software/firmware FAILED to work seamlessly with Comcast Gateway (XB7 type) Wi-Fi at the start, because it had one single Wi-Fi combined of two bands 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and one single SSID and key/password. At first it assigned the Canvas to 5Ghz automatically band behind the scenes.

2. the Canvas software/firmware FAILED to connect to my home Wi-Fi after I made a split of one combined Wi-Fi into two bands, though all my other devices didn't even "notice" the change (that split means I turned off automatic control of which device to which band to connect).

3. These failures are especially troublesome considering other two facts:
- my 10-year old Canvas MC227 didn't have any connection problems in my home Wi-Fi network,
- Netgear (major networking equipment manufacturer, that makes Wi-Fi routers) acquired Meural 5 years ago, it could make the Canvas Wi-Fi functionality simply the best there is. 

There is only one explanation now: the router kept the record of initial band assignment of the Canvas, and that was somehow (?) the reason why the Canvas couldn't connect.
Only AFTER I cleared that (see at the top of this post) the Canvas' was able to normally connect.

I hope this may help you with resolution of similar problems.

I consider it unacceptable that the newest Canvas' firmware has these Wi-Fi connection problems. 
Tech Support tried to but couldn't resolve this issue.

My thanks to the expert Abhay (sorry if I misspelled his name) who helped and cared for my frustration. We spoke on the phone several times. The conversation yesterday (after I resolved the problem) was very useful for both of us.
I very much hope that this would help other Meural Canvas owners.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Shop Meural NFT Displays