Shop Meural NFT Display
Welcome to the Community Please Login

MC227 Meural Canvas firmware update w/o network?

OhJim
Follower

MC227 Meural Canvas firmware update w/o network?

I have a first generation MC227 Meural Canvas which just came out of the box for the first time (long story).  

Is there a way to do a firmware upgrade using the SDcard or micro USB port without a network connection?

Much more than you want to know:

I’m unable to configure the Canvas due to the incompatibility of the new Meural App (Version 5.2.6.6755) with the original Canvas firmware as described by the article:

New Meural: "You are not connected to the internet” - by thingsrbad

As thingsrbad commented: "I might be wrong but as far as I can tell the firmware in the frame itself is incompatible with the latest version of the phone app. Would be great if someone from Netgear would respond.”

Thingsrbad had a Canvas II that includes an ethernet port that allowed direct internet connection to do a firmware update - that enabled normal operation with the new App.

Another user in my situation was felkoh-digital who posted:

"Meural Leonora (MC227, gen 1) won't come 'online' during setup”

In that case the inspired workaround was to find an older iOS device that could install an older version of the App, which allowed configuration and firmware update.

Unfortunately that solution isn’t working for me - evidently the Apple App Store only allows downloads of older App versions if the device can’t be updated to new iOS versions AND the appleID had previously ‘purchased’ (here downloaded) some version of the Meural app.  My older device is an iPhone 5 running iOS 10.3.4 - it’s possible that there’s an even older iOS that might run on my iPhone 5 that would enable download of an older Meural version, but Apple doesn’t allow rollbacks that far back.

So, I kinda used to do this stuff for a living.  There is always a debugging strategy that allows resuscitation of bricked devices during development - very good odds that there’s a Meural/Netgear-internal method to reinstall firmware and reboot without any network connection.  But everywhere I ever worked we never wanted to tell our customers about this since it’d open the door to hacking and support chaos!  So I don’t suppose there’s a method for mere mortals to download a firmware update and apply it to this Canvas?   Or even a Silicon-Valley worksite where I could leave the Canvas at the back door with some donuts/pizza, and return in a few hours to find my Canvas magically had new firmware?

Thanks
Model: MC227| Meural Canvas
Message 1 of 2
jkfoote
Aspirant

Re: MC227 Meural Canvas firmware update w/o network?

Update:  Amazingly I had a friend who offered the use of their old iPhone 4 to use the workaround outlined by felkoh-digital who posted:

"Meural Leonora (MC227, gen 1) won't come 'online' during setup”

On the iPhone 4 I had to erase the device and set up as new so it would accept my AppleID for App Store downloads:
Settings>General>Reset>Erase all Content and Settings

Then downloaded the latest compatible Meural App and used it’s setup system to connect my Canvas to my local network.  After that I was able to control the the Canvas from my normal iPhone with the latest Meural app.

I’m going to go order a refurbished iPhone 4 of my own from EBay for $20 so I can return the borrowed iPhone 4 and have my own backup in case I ever need to do a factory reset of my Canvas.  Hilarious!

Major props and thanks to both @felkoh-digital and @thingsrbad who’s detective work helped keep my Canvas out of the electronics recycling bin!

My free recommendation to the Meural development team (worth just what you paid for it):  Confirm function with a factory reset of all your Canvas devices in your testing lab before pushing new versions of the Meural App.  You do have an instance of all your released Canvas devices in your lab, right?

This discussion thread can now safely be closed.

Thanks.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Shop Meural NFT Displays