Shop Meural NFT Display
Welcome to the Community Please Login

Re: Meural Canvas II: Bug? Removal of SD card w/ playlists does not completely remove references

Vic_G
Apprentice

Meural Canvas II: Bug? Removal of SD card w/ playlists does not completely remove references

Hello,  please let me know if I should be posting this elsewhere .....

Issue 1 involving SD card based playlists

On SD card created 4 playlists: meural1, meural2, meural3 and meural4 with a few photos in each.

Turned off Canvas II, inserted SD card, restarted Canvas II.

Playlists displayed as expected on Canvas II.

Removed SD card, turned off Canvas II, turned on Canvas II.

Selected Browse on the Canvas II.

Expected the SD playlists to have been removed.

However the playlists meural1, meural2, meural3 and meural4 are still displayed as SD card playlists even though the SD card is not inserted in the Canvas II. 

There are no photos displayed in any of the SD card playlists because the SD card is not inserted in the Canvas II.

If the Canvas II settings are set to rotate playlists (which mine was), when one of the empty SD playlists are rotated to, the display goes blank and the Canvas II appears to freeze.

I was able to select a different playlist as well as disable the Canvas II playlist option rotation.

The only way I could remove references to the SD card based playlists from the Canvas II was to

• Remove the meural1, meural2, meural3 and meural4 folders from the SD card
  • Power down the Canvas II
  • Insert the SD card that had no playlists into the Canvas II
  • Power up the Canvas II

At this point the SD playlists were no longer displayed on the Canvas II.

Issue 2 involving SD card based playlists

I tried to workaround issue #1 by creating on the Meural Canvas user interface playlists named meural1 .. mueral4, hoping that I would be able to send these to the Canvas II, overwrite the SD versions of these playlists, and then delete those four playlists.

This didn’t work.

I ended up with 2 of each of the meuralx playlists on the Canvas II, with the SD based playlists labeled with SD.  Is this expected behavior?  Two playlists with the same name?

Thanks!

Vic

Model: MC321| Meural Canvas II
Message 1 of 15
KevinJ_K
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Meural Canvas II: Bug? Removal of SD card w/ playlists does not completely remove references

Hello Vic,

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. At this point, it sounds like you might want to speak to our support team for technical assistance. You will find several options for contacting support using the provided email or link: 

meuralsupport@netgear.com

Regards,

Kevin K., NETGEAR Meural Community Team

Message 2 of 15
lmir
Aspirant

I have the same issue. 

After inserting sd card with folders meural1 and meural2 and rebooting, Meural correctly recognized the images. However, when I updated the SD card and added new images to meural1/meural2 folders, it still shows the old content. I have tried to restart Meural several times and still see the same behavior.

Also after I removed the sd card both folders are still visible but the images are not displayed (top right corner shows the icon with a broken image).  

After the restart I also see that sometimes the SD is not recognized at all.
Model: MC327| Meural Canvas II
Message 3 of 15
Vic_G
Apprentice

Hello Imir,

I started to get better results when I completely powered off the Meural Canvas II by unplugging it from the wall and waiting 10 seconds before restarting it whenever I inserted or removed the SD card. 

When I reported the problem I was using the button on the side of the Meural Canvas to restart the Canvas after inserting or removing the SD card.  I think when I used the button the Meural was not completely dropping electrical power.

The steps that I use when inserting or removing an SD card are:

1) Unplug Canvas from electrical outlet

2) Insert or remove SD card

3) Wait 10 seconds

4) Plug Canvas into electrical outlet

I hope this is of some use to you.

Vic

@lmir 

Message 4 of 15
lmir
Aspirant

Thanks @Vic_G 

I did as you suggested and the SD card is being recognized, however still the new images that I have just added are not recognized.

I wonder if this has something to do with the directory structure.  

Here is mine:

<meuralx> is the name of the SD card. On the card I just have two directories: meural1 and meural2.

-meural1 directory with multiple files: 

• Chocolate.jpg,
  • test eleven.png
  • test five.tiff
  • test four.tiff
  • test one.jpg
  • test seven.tiff
  • test six.tiff
  • test three.tiff
  • test two.tiff

-meural2 directory with 

• Adoration.jpg
  • Christ on cross.jpg
  • Heilige Sebastian.jpg
  • Immacuate.jpg
  • Madonna and the child.jpg
  • test seven.tiff

Right now, only Cholocate.jpg is recognized in meural1 and in meural2 all jpg images except "test seven.tiff".

Could you share what is your directory structure and file format? What happens after you update the SD card and add more images?

Message 5 of 15
Vic_G
Apprentice

Hello Imir,

I searched for the formats supported by the Meural Canvas II and found this link:

https://kb.netgear.com/000060767/What-image-and-video-formats-does-the-Meural-Canvas-support

I do not see .tiff files listed as being supported.  Maybe that is the root of your current issues.

On my SD card there are 2 folders each with 3 files:

meural1

• DSC 0003.jpg
  • DSC_0001.jpg
  • DSC_0009.jpg

meural2

• DSC_0003.jpg
  • DSC_0007.jpg
  • just_a_file.png

All of my files were handled correctly at the Meural. I wondered if the blank in the file name would cause an issue and it did not.  And the .png file was handled fine too.  Which is as expected since it is listed in the above link as being supported, but sometimes I just have to see it work to be certain  :).

When I add additional images to an existing folder, such as meural1, as long as I leave the Meural unplugged for at least 10 seconds, maybe even a little longer, after reinserting the SD card, all seems to work fine for me.

So at the moment I would suggest removing the .tiff files and see if that helps.

@lmir 

Happy New Year Imir.

Vic

Message 6 of 15
lmir
Aspirant

Thank you @Vic_G! It worked. Indeed, the problem was the TIFF files being not recognized.

Happy New Year to you too! Greetings from Switzerland from a Polish friend 🙂

Best,

Lukasz

Message 7 of 15
Vic_G
Apprentice

That's great!  I'm happy that I was able to help!

Vic

@lmir 

Message 8 of 15
HolgerScheller
Aspirant

Hey guys,

have a Canvas II since Friday and I'm struggling with the SD card handling too. Did you try ever to use subfolders in the meuralx folders? Does not work for me 😞

You also mention that the SD card content is shown as a playlist!? I have to open the menu and the option search to see those folders.

Thanks and greetings from Heidelberg, Germany

Holger

Message 9 of 15
Vic_G
Apprentice

Hello Holger!

I've never gotten subfolders to work.  I doubt that they do.  My guess is that the Canvas will only recognize files within the folders meural1 through meural4.  Folders within the meuralx folders probable will not be recognized.

As for having your meural1 through meural4 folders appear as playlists, the only thought that comes to mind is that once you insert the SD card into the Canvas, completely unplug the Canvas from the power outlet and wait 10 to 20 seconds (go for 20) before plugging the Canvas back into the power outlet. Do not depend on the power button on the side of the Canvas to do this.  I needed to literally pull the plug.

When I followed that process, the meuralx folders on the SD card started showing up as playlists.

Hopefully these ideas will help a little bit.

And greetings to you from Kentucky in the United States!

Vic

@HolgerScheller 

Message 10 of 15
HolgerScheller
Aspirant

Hey @Vic_G ,

seems to work now. Thanks for your response, very much appriciated! Looks like it lists the files in subfolders beneath meural1 for example but it can't display!? Very strange.

Did you ever try to connect to the micro USB? Thought I could have a look how the store pics on the internal memory. I connected the Meural to my Windows PC but nothing happens there, it can't recognize the device. Any ideas on that!?

Do you know how the store the information about the picture like Artist and the description? If possible I'd like to add that for my pics stored on the external SD card as well 😉

Greetings for a very windy, rainy Heidelberg!

Regards,

Holger

Message 11 of 15
KevinJ_K
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Holger,

Thank you for reaching out. We would recommend contacting support for technical assistance. You will find several options for contacting support using the provided link: www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Regards,

Kevin K., NETGEAR Meural Community Team

Message 12 of 15
Vic_G
Apprentice

@HolgerScheller Hello Holger!

I see that Kevin has posted a reply for you on how to contact the technical support team.  That is probably your best chance to find the answers.  After experimenting with the SD card, we only use the web interface to create playlists and populate the Canvas.  I never considered how to add Artist and Descriptive info to files on the SD card.  If the tech support tells you how to do that, would you please share the answer here?

On my list of interesting things to try is to connect my Windows PC to the micro USB port, as you have already done.  I have yet to finish enough of my other chores to try it though.  Given your experience, maybe it is not worth my time to try it.  I doubt that it is an officially supported access point but it would be useful if one could do as you were thinking and manually populate the folders on the Canvas. 

The wind and rain in Heidelberg has come to Kentucky.  With maybe a bit of snow in a few days!

Vic

@HolgerScheller 

Message 13 of 15
Webu
Aspirant

Hallo Holger von Heidelberg,

Grüsse von Schwerin,

können wir in Verbindung kommen, da ich die SD-Card immer noch nicht erkennen kann an meinem Canvas II , Mac und iPad, und noch Hilfe brauche

am besten mal per Mail.

Besten dank für die Antwort

Werner

Model: MC327| Meural Canvas II
Message 14 of 15
IoannisDM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hallo @Webu,

ich wollte Ihnen mitteilen, dass ich Ihren Beitrag bearbeitet habe, in dem ich Ihre Email entfernt habe.

Folgende Information könnte für alle Community- Mitglieder von Interesse sein. Ihre persönlichen Informationen sollten Sie besser nicht öffentlich, können Sie aber gerne durch PM mitteilen/ austauschen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Ioannis

NETGEAR Team

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Shop Meural NFT Displays