Shop Meural NFT Display
Welcome to the Community Please Login

Re: Meural Canvas II - is the a maximum numper of my own photos I can have in a slideshow?

TomInOslo
Follower

Meural Canvas II - is the a maximum numper of my own photos I can have in a slideshow?

Hi.  I consider buying Canvas II, but before doing so I need to know if the WiFi connection will allow me to have slideshows of a large number (many thousands) of my own photos (sized dowrn to the screen resolution).  Are there maximum number of photos in the web interphase.  I use Nixplay today, and is has limitations where i have to manually change albums from time to time.

Appreciate any advice.

Best regards

Tom

Model: MC321| Meural Canvas II
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Meural Canvas II - is the a maximum numper of my own photos I can have in a slideshow?

Hello TomInOslo,

We suggest that you contact our Pre Sales team to better assist you with your inquiry. Please see our Support page: http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx Select "Get answers about NETGEAR products before I buy" They will be able to assist you in answering your questions. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
unnamedny
Guide

Whatever many thousands you can fit on 4gb of internal space it will show. You can also use SD card and you can fit many more images there, however you can not control SD card from app, use scheduler or move images between cloud/internal storage and SD card.

Message 3 of 4
Ken6432-1
Guide

For what it is worth, I am using an SD card with about 8800 jpg images on it (all in one folder).  Using the SD card is a bit finicky, but it does work.  As @unnamedny said, you cannot control the images on the SD card with the app.  Also, you cannot mix playlists between the built in memory and the SD card.  It other words, you can't have it show all images in the built in memory, then start showing the images on the SD card, it's one or the other.  For me since I am using only the SD card for my images the app says there are no images on my Canvas.  It isn't smart enough to show that all images are on the SD card.  It only reports images that are stored in the internal memory.

I have found that there are oddities with how the images stored on the SD card are displayed.  It takes a fair bit of time for it to read all of the images from the SD card even though it starts displaying after it reads about 200 images.  There is no indication that it is reading the other images in the background so it appears that it missed most of the images.  When I left the device running and came back an hour or so later, it listed the total number of images on the SD card.

Also, the images are displayed in file name order the first time through.  After that, mine are shown in random order (which is what I want).  I do have the app setting for random play set to on, but I don't know if that is controlling the SD image display or not (I assume it is, but it is not clearly stated that it will work that way).  Everything the support people tell me is that images on the SD card only display in name order, but that seems to happen only the first time though for me.  (I have verified this a number of times, even after a device reset.)

The system responded very slowly with this many images being used until I turned off the setting that says to display the thumbnails when manually moving forward or backward between images.  Once I set that to off, the response time became reasonable.

Also note that I have found controlling the Canvas by waving my hand in front of it to be completely worthless.  There is so much of a delay between the time you wave and when the menu changes that you think it did not see the wave.  The system also has a built in delay between reading consecutive waves so that makes it hard in my opinion.  I exclusively use the controls in the app to navigate the display's menu.  This seems to work very well.

In summary, yes you can show a large number of files if you store them on an SD card, but the behavior is a bit weird.  Once set, though it seems to work reasonably well.

Model: MC327| Meural Canvas II
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Shop Meural NFT Displays