Shop Meural NFT Display
Welcome to the Community Please Login

Re: Meural Canvas displays blank images

mfrank1
Star

Meural Canvas displays blank images

My Meural Canvas (orig model) has suddenly started interspersing blank screen between some of my uploaded artwork & photos.  I've tried renewing the WiFi connection, but it hasn't helped.  Many of my uploaded images display fine, but every so often the blank screen pops up and stays until the timed interval is up and the next image loads.  Does anyone else have this issue and, more importantly, a solution?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 26
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello mfrank1, 

Welcome to the community! May you factory reset your Meural and let me know if your issue persists.

Christian

Message 2 of 26
mfrank1
Star

Welcome to the community! May you factory reset your Meural and let me know if your issue persists.

Christian

The factory reset didn't correct the problem.  Is there anything else I might try?

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello mfrank1, 

Model: MC227| Meural Canvas
Message 3 of 26
stevesw
NETGEAR Expert

If you manually cycle thru the images by swiping or using Canvas controls in app, are you able to reproduce the issue where screen goes blank when you switch images?

If so, it may be that the canvas cannot display a certain image correctly because it is corrupt or due to the image file format.

If you can identify an image which is not being displayed, then you can try to delete that image and see if issue goes away.

Message 4 of 26
mfrank1
Star

@stevesw wrote:

If you manually cycle thru the images by swiping or using Canvas controls in app, are you able to reproduce the issue where screen goes blank when you switch images?

If so, it may be that the canvas cannot display a certain image correctly because it is corrupt or due to the image file format.

If you can identify an image which is not being displayed, then you can try to delete that image and see if issue goes away.

Thank you for this suggestion.  My Meural iPhone app was always difficult and never seemed sync'd (e.g. the photo on the app was not the one on the canvas).  But swiping through the playlist, I was able to identify images that wouldn't display.  There are many more of them than I thought.  What concerns me is that these images displayed fine until recently.  I hate to delete them, but will do so and see what happens. Is there a way to remove them from the canvas but still keep them on the app or website so I can re-install at some point?

Message 5 of 26
stevesw
NETGEAR Expert

You can remove items from a Canvas by going into Canvas -> Settings -> Manage Art

Then choose either Playlists, Albums or Recents and press Edit

Then can remove items by pressing the red dot.

Message 6 of 26
mfrank1
Star

@stevesw wrote:

You can remove items from a Canvas by going into Canvas -> Settings -> Manage Art

Then choose either Playlists, Albums or Recents and press Edit

Then can remove items by pressing the red dot.

Thanks.  Here's something interesting.  The same images that came up blank during the auto rotation on the Canvas display just fine when I select them and press Preview from the web site.

Message 7 of 26
wisdom23
Aspirant

I’m having the same issue. It used to work fine until a few weeks ago. I send a playlist and random pictures show up as blank. If I resend the same playlist again, different pictures show up blank. I just did this four times, and each time different photos would be blank.

And let’s say I send a playlist to canvas and picture 3 is blank, I can swipe back and forth and 3 is always blank. And let’s say I resend the same playlist, picture 3 is fine but now 5 is blank. Weird. Not happy. Hope this is fixed soon.
Message 8 of 26
mfrank1
Star

Sorry to hear you're having the blank screen issue, though admittedly there is some reflief in knowing it isn't unique to my frame.  Netgear hasn't been of much help, I'm afraid.  If I figure out a solution, I'll certain post it here.

Message 9 of 26
JustRachael
Tutor

Phew, I know it doesn't help solve this but I thought I was going mad. I randomly see a black screen but when I check my account on my laptop or tablet, there are no blank images in my playlists. Moving to the next image brings it back on-screen.

The Alex integration is buggy too.

I have to say that if I hadn't spent so much on the darn thing, I'd take it down and put it away. It's been a hideous experience and I've noticed that sicne the Netgear takeover, its only gotten worse. It was so much nicer at the start, before it became just another revenue tool. When you contact support which I'm tired of doing, they seem to have a policy of asking dumb questions until you give up and go away. I've yet to see them ever admit to a bug/defect.

Sorry for the frustrated rant. Has anyone managed to stop the blank image issue?

Message 10 of 26
PMILP
Tutor

Looks like it is a botched software update. This is why factory reset also does not help, since it updates to latest. Support said they are working on fixing it but have no ETA. Pretty disappointing that this expensive and usually wonderful device is not working correctly. I used to show it off to visitors now it just looks like it is off since the picture is blank (in the corner hidden by the matte it shows a little broken pic icon)
Message 11 of 26
mfrank1
Star

PMILP -- I'm impressed you were able to get this from Support.  They didn't have aclue when I contacted them.  Wonder if they'll advise when a solution is implemented?

Message 12 of 26
PMILP
Tutor

No idea. But in the meantime I tried the suggestion from the other thread here - unplug for 30-60 seconds and plug back in. This seems to have fixed the issue at least for now. We'll see how long it continues to work.

Message 13 of 26
Kylie_v
Tutor

Are you still having the same blank screen issue?
Mine has been doing it for months too. I have spent the past month trying to problem solve it with the help of their support team. I have factory reset, done everything they asked, numerous phone calls and they were very helpful but over a week ago they told me to leave it on for 48 hours so a technician can access something via cloud. Now I am getting no response from support and the problem isn't resolved. I'm really disappointed that they have stopped communicating with me.
I'm wondering how many people have the same issue.
Message 14 of 26
PMILP
Tutor

Yeah, it still happens. I end up rebooting it (unplug and plug back in) and the problem goes away for a while. Wish they would prioritize investigating it.

Message 15 of 26
Kylie_v
Tutor

It is very frustrating and disappointing considering the expense of the product.
Message 16 of 26
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Kylie_v - May you send me a private message with your email address and case number. 

@PMILP - Have you had a moment to get in touch with our support team? 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 17 of 26
Kylie_v
Tutor

Do you have an open case with the support team?
I'm struggling to get through to them that it isn't an issue with my photos- How can it be when they can display correctly for a few days and then the white screen appears. I need some more people to request support to try and get the issue fixed.
Message 18 of 26
mfrank1
Star

Kylie_v:

I don't know if my case  is sill active, but I  had contact with support over this issue seveal times, wth no solution.

Message 19 of 26
Powerguy37
Initiate

I too have been having this same issue for several months. Its very annoying. The only solution I have found is to turn it off and on again. It works for a day or so then back to blank images.
Message 20 of 26
Kylie_v
Tutor

It may have taken months but I think the support team have found a solution to my blank screen issue! I must admit I don't know what they have done but they told me it may be related to the file size of some of my images. They are sending/clearing something on my canvas daily. It has been almost 2 weeks with no blank screen and I have used several playlists during this time to test it out. Fingers crossed.
If you need further information to help you log your error with support let me know.
Message 21 of 26
mfrank1
Star

kylie_V:

I'd appreciate your help with customer support.  When I contacted them with the blank screen issue they were clueless.

@Kylie_v wrote:
It may have taken months but I think the support team have found a solution to my blank screen issue! I must admit I don't know what they have done but they told me it may be related to the file size of some of my images. They are sending/clearing something on my canvas daily. It has been almost 2 weeks with no blank screen and I have used several playlists during this time to test it out. Fingers crossed.
If you need further information to help you log your error with support let me know.

Message 22 of 26
petikmanggoes
Aspirant

i have too this issue , how to fix this ?
Message 23 of 26
Kylie_v
Tutor

My issue has been resolved by the support team however it took months of communication with them. I don't understand the exact solution however it was related to file size. Some of my photographs were large files from a DSLR camera. This apparently created an issue and it was resolved by them setting up an automatic "refresh" daily on my meural. Or that was what I was told anyway.
I would suggest looking at your image file sizes and reducing them to see if that helps.
Message 24 of 26
Ovecarleone
Aspirant

Hi, I got the same exact issue with the samples from the canvas app. The only solution was to restart the sample directly from the canvas. The issue reapears after 2-3 days. Has anyone at Netgear any permanent solution to this since the issue comes from the samples netgear offers.
Model: MC327| Meural Canvas II
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Shop Meural NFT Displays