Shop Meural NFT Display
Welcome to the Community Please Login

Re: Meural Software - Crap support, crap developers

growlf
Initiate

Meural Software - Crap support, crap developers

So Netgear sells a product that is dependent on software, pushes out software updates, and provides ZERO support for the software - awesome - what a craptastic company.

First issue - Light detection has been borked for several updates.  Gave up, wrote my own to sit on a raspberry Pi and update the canvas brightness properly.

Second issue - and this is a big one - some update has added auto-sleep and auto-power off settings. Cool. Mine are in continuous display mode on a wall about 20 feet off of the ground. Imagine my surprise when, after a recent update, all three frames popped up with a message saying they were shutting down. 

That message stayed on the screen for at least 2 hours until I cut power to all of them. (Photo of one of them w/ the message attached.)

They rebooted fine, but this morning, they were all offline and shut down.  (They sleep at 9pm.)

I've now toggled the power mode to "sleep" on all of them, then back to "continuous display mode."  I've also reset the schedule and rebuilt it on all three canvases. 

If, tomorrow morning, they are all shutdown again, I'm going to be pissed.

If *one* canvas had an issue, fine.  All three tells me that this is some stupid software issue that shouldn't have made it into production.  Yes, I write better software than this, and I've mostly rewritten all of the canvas functionality so that it works properly with my own apps. What I can't do is magically fix the devices from shutting down.  Hitting a power button 20 feet off of the floor is a problem.

Does this sound angry?  Yup.  That's $2k worth of screens on my wall, a subscription I pay for - and Netgear should have to support the damned software they write and push out.

Model: MC327| Meural Canvas II
Message 1 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello growlf,

I'd like to look into this further and address your concerns. May you send me a private message with your email address and serial number. 

Thanks,

Christian

Message 2 of 7
iklier
Initiate

The latest FW (2.2.10_2.0.13) is super buggy for me as well. The three things that broke for me were:

1. Auto-sleep on low light (was working in previous firmware and now is completely broken)

2. Auto brightness (this was always a bit buggy, but seems flat out broke in the new FW)

3. Album switching was buggy for a bit post-update, but a power cycle seems to have solved the issue.

EDIT: math is hard.

Model: MC327| Meural Canvas II
Message 3 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello iklier, 

May you send me a private message with your email address and serial number. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 4 of 7
pbellard
Aspirant

I have the same problem with my Canvas, any firmware update to address these bugs?

Message 5 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pbellard, 

May you send me a private message with your email address and serial number. I'd like to assist with having your concerns addressed. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 6 of 7

I gave up on "auto brightness" soon after buying these things (the MC315 "photo frame" Meural that isn't even in the popup for Model for some godforsaken reason.

For the last three months, icloud album linking has been completely broken. Some albums partially "upload" and show in the iOS app/photo frames, some don't upload at all. I haven't been able to make rhyme or reason for why. I've tried re-linking; I've tried removing all videos from the albums; I've tried un-linking older albums I'm not actively displaying. No dice with anything.

I bought one of these hunks of junk, sent one to my parents, and sent one to my in-laws. As Christmas gifts last year; so they could all see pictures of their grandkid. Useless now.

And since I bought these more than three months ago, I can't even open a support case. I really should have listened to my gut instinct, that even a "luxury brand" of Netgear would still be crappy Netgear garbage.

I'm going to go on a mission to post everywhere I can about how bad the software is for these things. The App store, Amazon, anywhere else I can find. This level of neglect is unconscionable. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Shop Meural NFT Displays