Shop Meural NFT Display
Welcome to the Community Please Login

Re: SD card not detected on Meural Canvas II

HJV
Aspirant
Aspirant

SD card not detected on Meural Canvas II

Hi, I recently purchased a Meural Canvas II. I am unable to use an SD card on my device - it is not detected when I put it in. I have followed all the suggestions mentioned on your website but am unable to troubleshoot this. Can someone please help me with this ASAP? Thank you!

Message 1 of 25
plemans
Guru

What sd card do you have?

What format is it in? 

What format are the files in? 

did you follow the setup guide for the card? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060777/Can-I-use-a-micro-SD-card-to-show-my-own-images-or-videos-on-a-Meur...

Message 2 of 25
mattwillhill
Guide

I experienced the exact same problem in December 2020 and used and reformatted many of my existing older SD cards to no avail and much frustration.  My last gambit was to buy a brand new SD card, so  I bought a  "SanDisk Extrem Pro 32 GB SDHC Memory Card - Up tp 95MB/S, Class 10, U3, V30 - Black". This worked straight away.  I created 3 folders "meural1" to 3 and the frame recognised the folders for the first time.  

It is not clear to me the technical reason why but many others perhaps could advise.   The fact is for minimal investment it worked.  I also found that the Meural should be powered down and the plug removed always when removing and reinserting the SD card.  Hope this helps . . . .

Model: MC321| Meural Canvas II
Message 3 of 25
gorillashots
Tutor

I am also having SD card problem, Meural can't detect my SD storage, I followed all available info online as far as size and formating, still no avil, customer service is not helpfule at all and there is no official trouble shooting steps from Netgear/Meural, let me know if you find the way to solf this problem, I totally regred paying $600 for this unit 

Model: MC327| Meural Canvas II
Message 4 of 25
HJV
Aspirant
Aspirant

As an update to my previous post, I have to admit that I was making an error in following the instructions (my folder was labelled 'meural 1' instead of 'meural1'). Once I changed that, the issue resolved. Thank you all for your input. My advice @gorillashots would be to follow the instructions EXACTLY!

Message 5 of 25
gorillashots
Tutor

@HJV Thank you for your respons, I have my folders exactly as you mentioned (meural1, meural2, meural3 and meural4) where excactly you find this folders, under Favorites? Playlists? or Albums? just for your info, I checked my phone App and also my pc/online, still can't see the SD card, one more thing what do you named your sd card intself?

Thank you 

Message 6 of 25
shertek1
Aspirant

Hi 

I am on my second frame now and still no detection of the camera card...I've done everything support has said.  Bought a new class 10 micro chip card, made folders. The frustration of the customer support even brought me to tears at one point until they were really listening to me and I got  someone that would actually call me back.   I really like this frame and had high hopes getting one without what seems to be a defect,  but I'm ready to not only return the first one but return the second one as well.  This is really bumming me out.   A couple of you said you were able to get it to work. I'd like to try give it one more chance.  Would you guys be able to guide me? Maybe I'll get better advice...lol  Sorry if this all sounds scattered but I'mr really that frustrated.

Sheri

Message 7 of 25
gorillashots
Tutor

They sent me a replacement Frame, this one is fine and can see the SD Card,

but here is the CATCH!

they don't thell you that SD Card can be seen only from the frame it's self not from the App nor web browser, it's a lame crappy design with hefty price. So here is what you need to do to see the SD Card. Basikley I am writing SOP for Nergear/Meural for free sinse their engineers are so busy with other bull **bleep**.

1. Make sure you have good quality SD Card (Class 10 UHS) I am using Lexar

2. Create 1 to 4 folders and called them as - meural1 meural2 meural3 meural4

3. Paste your "mpg" pictures in thoes folders (I have about 100 pictures in each folder)

4. Insert the SD Card and Unplug the power of your Frame

5. Plug the power back in and let it boot up completley 

6. Use you hand gestures front of frame and go to "Playlits" 

7. Then try to wave Up or Down till you see the SD Card

DON"T use the APP or Web Browser

Message 8 of 25
Muda
Aspirant

Thanks GS.

Yea, Netgear, build an app that can't see the SD card and play the playlist.

Really?  Built by the "C" team?

Shame, as it's a really nice product.

Oh well, it works now.

Message 9 of 25
haguin93
Aspirant

But I have no issues with meural convas I am using it from last threee months and I used SD card it it several times and the output was very nice tell me the complete detail may be I canhelp you in any way to solve this issue.

Message 10 of 25
meuraldon
Aspirant

My Meural Canvas II was able to see my SD card.  It worked for a few months.  Now it no longer detects the card.  I've called Support three times on this and never receivedd the promised callback.  

Message 11 of 25
mattwillhill
Guide

In my experience the Meural never sees the SD Card if its reinserted while WITH POWER.
Have you tried a complete reboot, meaning completely removing mains power?
i.e.
Remove the SD Card. Power down by removing the plug (don’t just switch off at the monitor). Leave for 3 mins.
Now reinsert the SD card while powered down ensuring its fully re-engaged.
Now power up by plugging in at the mains.
Wait 2 mins before scrolling the menu for files?

If the unit still fails to read this SD Card, try a new one for comparison as a test. Again completely power down at the mains, insert while powered off and power up with card in situ. Remember that the file folders must be labelled correctly.
Message 12 of 25
meuraldon
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I actually have 2 SD cards; neither work.  The formatting is correct and, in fact, both worked at one point.  Now neither works.  I've done a full reset, taken the power cord out.....

No luck.

Supposedly a "high level technical person" is going to call me tomorrow to try to problem solve.

Thanks again.

Message 13 of 25
meuraldon
Aspirant

THe Meural SD card "documentation" on the Netgear site it says that there is a "MICRO SD" slot on the BACK of the canvas.  On my canvas II, there is a SD card slot on the BOTTOM of the canvas.  Does anyone know if a normal class 10 SD card will work or do I have to get a micro SD card with the adaptor for the SD sized slot?

Message 14 of 25
mattwillhill
Guide

My meural has only the SD Card slot on the bottom side - it makes no sense for there to one on the back. I did experience a problem with old SD cards & reformatting so I bought a new one which worked fine. The Meural only recognises SD cards and card updates if the unit is completely powered down and switched off at the mains supply.
Message 15 of 25
svetaketu
Luminary

Hi @meuraldon,

A class 10 regular SD card or a micro SD card with an adapter should work. 

Message 16 of 25
meuraldon
Aspirant

Netgear shipped a replacement unit.  Same problem, it does not detect either SD card,

Message 17 of 25
Cottonsusan
Guide

After trying to communicate with Netgear several times regarding the same issue and finding out that none of their technical support people had any real experience with the product, I was about to tear my hair out. They told me I had to buy bigger, more expensive SD cards, then they told me it was the wrong brand or the wrong format -pretty much every excuse in the book but fixing it. I followed the step-by-step, formatted it, made the correct file name on the SD card and inserted it in every direction possible and finally gave up. I in advertently left it in the canvas overnight and two days later it magically started working. Again, they need a proper manual for this product which is incredibly expensive and they need tech-support that goes beyond saying they just don’t know.
Message 18 of 25
meuraldon
Aspirant

I've learned a lot by working with a Netgear engineer (NOT in support).  First thing was learning how to insert the SD card properly; you insert it with the contacts facing OUT.  That resulted in my canvas finally detecting the card.There are undocumented limits on the number of pics in the meural folders.  I tried a folder with 13,000 photos and the canvas could still detect the card but was not able to display the images.  I made 4 folders of 3,400 images and it works fine.  I tried 4,700 images and it does not work.  So the limit is somewhere between 3,400 and 4700😃.

Message 19 of 25
Cottonsusan
Guide

So, Again, why is Netgear not responding to these questions?
Message 20 of 25
gorillashots
Tutor

I said it before and i'll say it again, this unit is crap! it's a garbage, I built new picture frame by my self and it's an awesome, go get a Samsung Smart monitor for $200 and use android app called "Fotoo" you can use this app to add/remove/play/stop etc right from your app and it's way better plus you have full controll from your phone's app, Meural is pice of **bleep**! They will never give you a controll, they want you to subscribe for monthly service and take your money every month! I say **bleep** THEM! and **bleep** Netgear for letting this happen.

By the way my Meural is up for sale if anyone interested can contact me 

Message 21 of 25
Ken6432-1
Guide

For what it's worth, I have just over 8800 images in a folder and it does work.  In order to have it find all of the images, I needed to go to the reload menu selection on the device.  Each time I did this it found more images.  It finally found all of them after four reloads.  I think the device operates so slowly that it cannot read all of the files in before the process times out.  Using reload gives it additional time, I believe.

I don't know that I recommend having this many images in one folder, but it does work.  The response time is very slow when you want to look at the image information screen or any other menu screen.

Message 22 of 25
meuraldon
Aspirant

Thanks for this.

The four folders now work fine.  After all the hassle, I don't think I have the patience to make larger folders.

Message 23 of 25
Ken6432-1
Guide

One question I have for you is once all of the images in one folder are shown, does it go immediately to the next folder or do you have to select the new folder?
Message 24 of 25
meuraldon
Aspirant

Random behavior.

It seems to stay in the same folder.  Every now and then, though, it will cycle back to the meural default images

Consistent with "beautiful product, terrible software, no documentation"

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Shop Meural NFT Displays