cheers

Rolf

Model: MC321| Meural Canvas II
Message 1 of 20
KevinJ_K
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: is there an API for meural canvas?

Hello goll,

Thank you for the question. No, unfortunately there is not any additional options to control the Meural Canvas. The only application that works is the Meural app found in any online smartphone store.

Rgeards,

NETGEAR Meural Community Team

Message 2 of 20
goll
Tutor

Thanks for the answer Kevin.

It's a pity, that there is no other way to use meural canvas. This means I'm totally depending on the app and the cloud service. I have experienced with other products that a supplier decided to discontinue a product.

I'm guessing, without the cloud service the product is useless, and I end up with expensive garbage hanging at my wall, right?

best

Rolf

Message 3 of 20
Vic_G
Apprentice

Hi,

Would you please ask the development team/product manager to consider producing an API available to product users? 

As stated by the originator of this thread, "goll" I think, that would allow people who use the Canvas II to display our own photographs, and I am one of those people, to more easily integrate the Canvas II with our photo collections.  The current process of using the Meural app or the Netgear Meural web portal works but is best when dealing with a few photos.  When dealing with lots of photos, it can be cumbersome.

I'm just speculating but the current Canvas II supporting architect may already have libraries underneath it, possibly in the form of APIs.  It might not take too much effort to put a wrapper around the existing core libraries that you use internally, and expose that wrapper interface to the user community.

Thanks!

Vic

Message 4 of 20
KevinJ_K
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Vic,

Thank you for the feedback. We will be sure to pass your suggestion on to the product manager and Mueral team. Perhaps this is something that could be implemented in a future update.

Regards,

Kevin K., NETGEAR Meural Team

Message 5 of 20
Vic_G
Apprentice

Thanks Kevin!

Vic

Message 6 of 20
goll
Tutor

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for passing the suggestion to the meural product manager.

Could you please tell us what their response was to this feature request?

cheers

Rolf

Message 7 of 20

@goll I was able to figure out some nice simple REST API calls by examining network traffic, and I posted them here last night, but my message disappeared. Perhaps Netgear doesn't want people to know about this?

Message 8 of 20

I second this request. I am considering putting Meurals up in my company's customer briefing centers, and I want an API to switch photos automatically before customers arrive. It would be far too dificult to coordinate this manually worldwide, so I want our enterprise software to automate the process. We give 3000 briefings per year, so it would be a nightmare without an API

Message 9 of 20
Vic_G
Apprentice

Hello VoiceOfSoftware!

Thanks for your earlier post.  I will be trying it out just to learn and have a little fun.

Indeed the administrator might have removed it for the reasons that you alluded to. If they did though, it would be just common courtesy to let you know that they did remove it and why. 

I can understand a company not wanting to encourage the use of undocumented interfaces.   Any future changes to the i/f, which could happen in newer versions of the product, might break customer tools.  If the i/f is documented then the company would have to spend resources communicating said changes to customers.  If the i/f is not documented, then customers who figured it out and used it anyway might be a bit upset if their tools break, though use of undocumented i/f's is a "use at your own risk" sort of thing.

Anyway, I appreciate your earlier posting.

Thanks,

Vic

@VoiceOfSoftware @KevinJ_K 

Message 10 of 20
KevinJ_K
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Rolf,

Thank you for the question. Unfortunately, we did not receive any response or feedback on the suggestion. It is possible that they will take this into consideration and it might be available in the future. At this time, we honestly just don't know. Stay tuned for future announcements on any features that might be implemented.

Regards,

Kevin K., NETGEAR Meural Community Team

Message 11 of 20
IlyZ
Initiate

@VoiceOfSoftware Could you share what you figured out? (even if thorugh private message, if Netgear is removing public posts).

Thanks!

Message 12 of 20
therealcmj
Guide

Message 13 of 20

Yup, that looks like what I found by using Charles proxy and listening in from iPhone

Message 14 of 20
Vic_G
Apprentice

Thanks!

@therealcmj 

Message 15 of 20
PapaMarc
Aspirant

I too would love to hear what folks have been up to; feel free to DM me if that's your preference...

Model: MC227| Meural Canvas
Message 16 of 20
growlf
Initiate

@VoiceOfSoftware -

I appologize for what is likely an idiotic question, but... I'd like to get the API access sorted out before I commit to buying a handful of the Canvas IIs -

Looking at the postman docs for the REST API, it looks perfectly lovely to use, but... what is the API_ORIGIN and VERSION? (I understand what these are, but...)   I'm assuming the endpoint (API_ORIGIN) would be my.meural.netgear.com, but what I'm assuming is a valid request just gets me 404 responses.

For all I know, each canvas is running a web server and is the actual endpoint (this doesn't make much sense given the functions in the API, but...)

This might be entirely obvious if I actually had a Meural, but my use case requires 3, and I don't want to drop that kind of money without at least having some clue the API is going to work.

Thanks for your time and any assistance,

johnray@mac.com

Message 17 of 20
therealcmj
Guide

The base URL https://api.meural.com

You can see source code for an example written in Node.js at https://github.com/evantahler/tweet2meural

Message 18 of 20
jkimrey
Aspirant

It would be nice if Netgear would open up Meural to IFTTT.

I'd like to trigger a specific playlist based on an action - for example, if I start watching a movie, I'd like my meural to start playing my "movies" playlist.

If it's raining outside, I'd like my Meural to show my "rain" playlist, etc.

It would make the Meural so much more interactive.

Message 19 of 20
therealcmj
Guide

Don't ask for IFTT support.

Ask for the API to be publicly documented and supported.

Then anyone can create anything they like - including IFTT support. But more importantly anything else anyone can imagine and code up. Like connections to Apple or Google Photos albums. Or from Facebook albums. Or one click upload from Unsplash.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 21 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Shop Meural NFT Displays