Shop Meural NFT Display
Welcome to the Community Please Login

new wifi with same name and password, Meural wont connect

ikky
Aspirant

new wifi with same name and password, Meural wont connect

Hi, 

I recently purchased Google Mesh access points to help with some external smart cameras located outside the house.

. I used the same network name and password for it as my old network as I hoped it would reduce the workload of reconnecting the smart devices.

I disabled the AP on the old router.  We have a a lot of 'smart' devices... each one needed to be reconnected to the new network ( PITA).. a couple required a reset as they seemed confused ( would not connect to the new network ) because the same network name was  different piece of hardware.  Factory resets solved that. 

We have a Meural Canvas II MC327. It wont connect. It keeps saying wrong wifi name or password error during the setup. 

These are the steps I've done  ( incrementally as each one didn't work, I kept trying more invasive resets...) . 

-I did a factory reset of the hardware. 

-I deleted the app on my iPhone and reloaded it. 

-I used a new device previously not connected to it. 

-I deleted the device from the Meural app. 

-I removed my firewall. 

All did not help. The error remained the same. 

I created a new guest network with a new SSID and it connects no issue. 

I'd prefer not to have an extra SSID just for this device. 

Is there a way to flush the cache somehow ( is it cached on the Meural website ?  or ?? ) 

Any ideas ? 

Thanks

Damon  

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: new wifi with same name and password, Meural wont connect

Are you using any special characters or spaces in the ssid or password? 

It shouldn't be an AX issue as I've used AX networks with both my meurals. 

Are you using wpa3? You could try setting wpa2?

Message 2 of 12
ikky
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. 

SSID is alpha, password is alphanumeric... no special characters.  Using WPA2.

It connects to the guest network without any issues..(its on the same hardware its a s/w config.... and it has the same configuration and a similar password layout) and has no issues.

I have to assume its cached a MAC address of the AP and the SSID associated with it and it doesn't like that the SSID is now associated with a new MAC address. Deleting the App, factory reset of the display, using a new device to configure, all did not help. 

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

if you set your phone hotspot with the same exact ssid/password as the router, can you set it up? (shut off the router while trying this)

Message 4 of 12
ikky
Aspirant

Sorry, it took a while until I could shutdown my home network ( I work from home, and small children etc use the network all day...) 

Results were the same. 

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

so it wouldn't even connect to your phone's hotspot with the same ssid/password?

Message 6 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Ikky,

I understand that you are having issues connecting your MC327 to your mobile network. Please ensure that you are connecting to the 2.4Ghz band of your network. Also, ensure that the devices used to operate the Meural is also on the 2.4Ghz network band.

Let me know if this solved your issue!

Cheers!

Kevin 

Community Team

Message 7 of 12
ikky
Aspirant

Yes, its 2.4,,  a gueast network on the same hardware with a different SSID works... I would prefer not to have the frame on the guest network. 

As I suspect that somewhere the Meural frame /app/cloud backend ....something isnt happy with an old SSID using new hardware... I'm hoping that there is a timed expiry on if this data if it being cached.  

Thanks for your feedback. 

Message 8 of 12
Jeffgear
Luminary

Here's a paste from a different post with info on resetting the WiFi connections on a MC or changing its WiFi association. It may help. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R62depmJeds

Message 9 of 12
ikky
Aspirant

Thank you. I watched thee video, but its basic setup. I had tried a compelte wipe of the config, and deleted the device on  the online portal, but it didnt help . 

I have no issues connecting to a new SSID, the issue seems to only be when the SSID has new hardware ( and a new MAC address ).  I've been an IT manager for 20+ years, and while this doesn't make me infallible 🙂 , I'm generally pretty comfortable with basic networking, troubleshooting, etc. 

I will be trying to reconnect to the 'old' ssid when I get a chance, as its now on a guest SSID on the same hardware, same configuration and works without an issue...   I just prefer not to have a guest network with exceptions to access images... I'm pretty security minded... probably due to what I do for a living...

Hopefully, if there is a lease, it will have expired. 

Message 10 of 12
Jeffgear
Luminary

Hi ikky - this is an odd one! The only things I can think of are the Meural cloud service has cached some info related to your MC connecting via your old AP, but you’d have thought this would have got over written or timed out. Have you tried registering the MC with a different name on the original SSID to see if that gets treated as a different MC but I guess the MC MAC will still be carried through? The other thing is your router that may have some persistent session or even a manually provisioned entry like an IP or firewall rule that was set for the MC that you’ve forgotten about that’s confusing matters. Have you tried resetting your router in case that’s the protagonist here?

Message 11 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi ikky,

Please check your PM.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats