Announcements

Shop Meural NFT Displays

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?

Ambient light sensor should support color temperature

Competing products, such as the Google Hub line for example, have ambient light sensors that not only measure the amount of light but also the color temperature of that light. As a result they can color correct the displayed artwork to look natural given the color temperature of the ambient light.

When looking at my Meural Canvas and my Google Hub at the same time, in a dim room with warm light, the Hub manages to look more natural because the artwork will match the temperature of the ambient light. The Canvas, on the other hand, will still have pure white highlights that look out of place compared to the yellow-colored matte on the frame.

If the ambient light sensors currently built into the Canvas II line also have a color temperature sensor, it would be amazing to see support for this built into an upcoming firmware of the Canvas frames. If they do not, I would recommend the next generation Canvas be fitted with a sensor that does support color temperature, as current competing products look far more realistic in low/warm light conditions.

2 Comments
khalid29
Fledgling

I just got a canvas and was disappointed to see that it didn't match the warm bulbs in my living room! Ambient color matching is a must for a realistic digital photo frame

Razor512
Prodigy

I wonder, in such a case, if the unit lacks a sensor capable of measuring color temperature (no way to know for sure without the model of sensor), I wonder, what if they added a room calibration function inthe app where it simply used the color temperature sensor in the smartphone's light sensor (or on the camera if they lack the proper light sensor), and apply that to the display?

That in addition to more granular brightness control (it seems to currently use large brightness steps instead of the more common 255 brightness levels that nearly all backlights support), they could simulate the look of metal photo prints extremely accurately where most people will not be able to tell that it is an LCD display with a backlight.