× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

4G or 5G Modem

Thrasherg
Follower

4G or 5G Modem

Sorry to pester everyone, I wanted to ask Netgear about their equipment but apparently they don't want to talk directly to possible customers and force you to join this community if you have a question.

Where I live there is no wired internet access available (not evedn the old twisted pair phone lines), I have therefore been using a microwave link to get Internet access, but the service is very unreliable (they claim 16MBPS, but I never see more than 4) have filed many complaints with the provider (RISE Broadband), who confirms there is an issue but after 15 months still hasn't addressed it and has no idea when it will be addressed, I therefore decided I would look for other solutions, a GSM modem seems to be an option (we have GSM reception here (not great but it works), I have a very nice ASUS gaming router and my home is hardwired with all my devices (~20) connected to a 1G wired LAN network,tablets and phones use the wireless network provided by the router. I therefore need a 4G and/or possibly a 5G (If it is offered in this area) modem, I do NOT want a modem router as I want to retain my ASUS gaming router. I keep seeing adverts for hotspots, but to me that means they contain the modem, router and wifi transponders. Does Netgear or anyone else sell a MODEM only for the 4G and/or 5G Networks? I would like to just unplug the microwave modem that I currently have, plug the router into a 4/5G Modem and run like that (My router providing all IP addresses), My home network is quite large (more than 20 devices) and most of the modem routers I have seen only have 1 or 2 LAN ports and they seem to be 100MBIT speeds not 1GB LAN!! So my router is much better.

Thanks for all and any suggestion.

Regards  Gary

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: 4G or 5G Modem

I haven't seen a specific cellular modem only device. 

But many support ip passthrough or modem only mode. 

The netgear M1 for instance supports passthrough.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t1RJsYymGg

supposedly there's the MR5200 being released that supports 5G cellular. Not sure if it supports ip passthrough though. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7