× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

AC791L Mobile Hotspot

steelsteedrider
Follower

AC791L Mobile Hotspot

I was told by Verizon support that the Verizon Jetpack 4GLTE Mobile Hotspot AC791L - a Netgear product - is not compatible with Roku devices when I was unable to have the password accepted for this unit although it recognized the SSID of the signal. Please confirm if this is true. My iPhone as a hotspot works fine with my Roku Stick so I do not think this is a Roku issue.
Message 1 of 3

Re: AC791L Mobile Hotspot

That seems to me to be a very strange thing for Verizon Wireless to say.  The AC791L should work with any WiFi-compatible device.  Gonna keep an eye on this thread, 'cuz now you've got me curious, too!

Message 2 of 3
expert7700
Aspirant

Re: AC791L Mobile Hotspot

I can confirm it is incompatible. I am in the computer support industry myself so I want to know why. Netgear must be doing something proprietary with the AC791L. What? and why is only the Roku sensitive to this?

I have tried multiple AC791L and muliple Roku3 units. Wl

-2.4ghz only, 5ghz only
-Wired to gigabit port on Netgear docking station with wireless disabled
-setting roku3 IP as a DMZ on AC791L
-toggling all other possible AC791L settings (vpn passthru etc)
-disabling obtain DNS automaticallty and using 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8
-setting roku3 network to 192.168.10.55 instead of 192.168.1.1 (to rule out any hard coded IP conflict)

here are the symptoms of the issue:
The Brand new Roku3 I just bought today (and a hard reset/software reset 6 month old unit both act the same)

It will connect to the internet immediately, give a link code, recognize when I add it to an existing or new Roku3 account and uncheck all optional channels. My unit then gets signal from Roku HQ that this is done, and it goes to the next step of checking/updating firmware (which DOES download and succeed). Then it stalls and says error updating channel list. Internet connection test always succeeds. Going to streaming channels/channel store on the Roku unit shows half circles where channel logos and names belong. If I move the Verizon SIM to my Galaxy S5 and turn on the native hotspot the Roku works 100% fine.

On an 'already setup/working' Roku3 it gets more interesting. Moving this to the Netgear AC791leaves MOST aspects in working order. Vudu and Netflix login/play fine. BUT Amazon sits without opening for a long time before 'failing to update customer catalog'.

I do plan to eventually capture and post wireshark pcap files. I will make one clicking Amazon and failing while using the AC791L, and another while using a different internet connection such as an older Verzon wired hotspot.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7