× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

AC791L has been available for 6 months: Where's the Firmware Update?!?!?

AC791L has been available for 6 months: Where's the Firmware Update?!?!?

The Netgear AC791L Jetpack for Verizon Wireless has now been available for 6 months.  It went on sale in September of 2015.  I purchased mine about a month later, in October.  It's now February, 6 months after launch.  This Mobile Hotspot has known bugs, including a tendency to drop device connections every couple hours, even when the Auto Sleep mode is turned OFF.  It also has a very unreliable tethering mode, that causes devices to be unable to connect to it via USB and/or ethernet (when using the optional Signal Boosting Cradle.)  And yet, we STILL don't have a Firmware Update to fix these issues! Smiley Mad

It's time to get with the program, Netgear.  Where's our Firmware Update?!?!? Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 21
MikeShyu
Tutor

Re: AC791L has been available for 6 months: Where's the Firmware Update?!?!?

Upvoted for visability.

Message 2 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Mikeshyu and Jack_T_chance

I have checked on this issue and we expect new firmware to be certified by VZW and pushed to devices by VZW late Q1/early Q2 if no issues in the cert process.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 21
MikeShyu
Tutor

I appreciate your follow-up and status update on this issue.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 21

Thanks for the prompt reply, Darren M. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 21
kowkow
Initiate

Device works perfectly for me, but upgrades always welcome. Thanks for the info.
Message 6 of 21

*BUMP!*  Gotta keep this visible.  Thanks for the replies, everyone.  If/when you see that the Firmware Update is finally available, would you please post that info in this thread?  I'm having to use an alternative, more reliable device until the Firmware Update comes along, so I'll have to move my SIM back into the AC791L and turn it on to get the update once it's released.

Message 7 of 21

*BUMP!*  Anyone seen the Firmware Update come through yet?!? Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 21

Anyone?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Message 9 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jack_T_Chance

As of right now the firmware is still in the approval process of Verizon so we do not have a ETA on this.

DarrenM

Message 10 of 21
AngelV
Tutor

Hi, i have this fantastic hotspot...

Working great, but the new firmware always is appreciated.

Waiting for update!
Message 11 of 21

STILL waiting for this LOOOOONG overdue Firmware Update! 

I used the Jetpack for about a week last month, while I was on vacation, and no Firmware Updates became available at all during that time.

I just used the Jetpack for an hour or so today and checked for Updates, again with no luck.

The rest of the time, I use my SIM in a different hotspot model, one that's older, with support for fewer bands, but which is far more reliable and actually HAS received a Firmware Update this year!

And in the meantime, my AC791L sits in a box, waiting for an update to be issued that will (hopefully) fix the numerous bugs and make it the device it was intended to be all along. Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 21
USdiver
Aspirant

I bought an Aircard 790 unlocked in Hong Kong and found the similar problems - sometimes it can't connect to the network which I have access right or, if connected, it easily drops and connect to another network which I have no access right.  The firmware should be upgraded to allow manual selection of network. Yet the last firmware version was released in late 2014 and no upgrade available since then!

Message 13 of 21

STILL waiting for the Firmware Update!  Had to use the AC791L again over the last couple of days, so while I had it on, I checked for an update, and.... still bupkis!  Sinceriously, Netgear, you really need to have a serious discussion with Big Red about these unacceptably long release delays! Smiley Mad

Message 14 of 21

Nothing to say, Netgear?  Smiley Frustrated

Message 15 of 21

As of this week, the long-awaited Firmware Update is FINALLY AVAILABLE!!!  Took Verizon long enough! Smiley Mad

I'll be testing the newly-updated hotspot over the next few days and I'll see whether or not this update resolved the issues that myself and several others have experienced. Smiley Frustrated

Message 16 of 21
AngelV
Tutor

Hi,
I try install the update (from device menu and from web menu)...

Model: AC791L
SW: NTG9X35C_02.08.29.00
Config: F14.NTG.AC791L.0

Last check for update:
12/16/2016 6:46 PM

Software Update / Check Now

Software installation was
Unsuccessful.

OK

Any suggestions? Link to download firmware file directly?

Thank you.

PD:
I live outside of U.S. and use the device with other operator (no Verizon Wireless)
Message 17 of 21
MikeShyu
Tutor

Sadly, I think you'll need to use a Verizon SIM and/or be on the Verizon network for the update to work.

It doesn't look like there is a downloadable firmware update file (at least I couldn't find one online) that you can perform a non-OTA update.

The reason why I believe the above to be true is that after the new firmware announcement above, I tried updating from the device and it kept on giving me the same "Software installation was Unsuccessful." error message.

At that time, I was using an AT&T SIM from my work line.  Try after try, it kept on giving me that error message.  Out of a hunch, I popped in my Verizon SIM from my phone and it updated on the frist try.

After the update, I put back my AT&T SIM.  I had to manually retype in the AT&T APN again via the web menu since the update seemed to wipe it out, but the AT&T SIM worked fine.  Was able to connect to AT&T LTE Network.  

Message 18 of 21
AngelV
Tutor

@MikeShy

Bad news if this is true for me...

I will try contact with Verizon Wireless for more details about the options for update. Maybe send me a link for download the firmware manually. Cross the fingers 🙂

If another guy have more information is useful

Thank you
Message 19 of 21
AngelV
Tutor

Response from Verizon wireless on Twitter:

@VZWSupport
... I understand. The update is only available over the air on the Verizon network. I apologize for this inconvenience. ^AXS

Any suggestions?

Netgear can put the firmware on your site?
Message 20 of 21

Sadly, AngelV, there is no solution for you.  You are using a Verizon Wireless Branded Mobile Hotspot.  It is intended for use primarily on the Verizon Wireless Network in North America.  Therefore, Netgear and Verizon Wireless are making that Firmware Update available ONLY Over-the-Air when you're connected to the Verizon Wireless Network using a Verizon Wireless SIM.  For whatever reason, Netgear and Verizon don't want to make those Firmware Updates available any other way. Smiley Sad

I would advise you to switch to a Mobile Hotspot model that's actually offered in the country you're using it in, and intended for use on the network of the carrier you're using.  That's the best way to make sure you can get the Firmware Updates.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7