× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

AC791L - pushed update bricked my out of warranty device, gee thanks.

dylanbaxter
Follower

AC791L - pushed update bricked my out of warranty device, gee thanks.

Last night VZW pushed an update to my AC791L.

This morning I found it unresponsive and, assuming it was pulling it's usual routine of spontaneously shutting down "to prevent over-charging" I unplugged it from power, then held the power button. The device came back to life, flashing something about preparing an update, then the screen flicked back off, and back on and off and on and off again. After a series of attempts to communicate its status to me, the device gave up and the screen went black, the status light slowly flashing becoming its only sign of life. With the device in this entirely unresponsive state my only recourse was to pull the battery, re-insert and repeat the process again, and again, and again.

So now what? I called VZW and they offered to sell me a new AC791L with the update pre-installed. All I gotta do is buck up $150 and sign a new two-year contract.

Sure! Let's double down on a product that the manufacturer broke for me and won't warrantee. F that. 

Model: AirCard 791L|Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot (AC791L)
Message 1 of 5
trott46
Aspirant

Re: AC791L - pushed update bricked my out of warranty device, gee thanks.

I am having the same issue.  does anyone know how to get these going?

Message 2 of 5
b3peter
Aspirant

We have 788 of these devices deployed since April of 2017 and I have received reports of 45 AC791 units that are no longer working after a recent software update that they received beginning on 8/21/18. I have reached out to Verizon support to find out what the options are for replacing the unit and have not received a response yet with their solution. I am waiting to get a broken device back on site so I can troubleshoot the issue. Please let me know if you hear of any solutions. Thanks

Message 3 of 5
Tigerdmd
Aspirant

That’s garbage - mine from VZW is doing the same thing since Friday. Unresponsive - can’t shut down, pulling battery does nothing. Very frustrating - anyone come up with a fix?
Message 4 of 5
brandall10
Aspirant

I am seeing the same issue. Is there a utility available to push firmware to the device and reflash it?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7