× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: AC810s remove telstra firmware and reset with netgear standard firmware

gt38
Initiate

AC810s remove telstra firmware and reset with netgear standard firmware

Hi Netgear forum, I have had my Aircard 810s for appx 1 year on plan with a telco in australia (telstra). The aircard is rebranded by telstra in aust as the Telstra WI-FI 4GX ADVANCED III;

Its working fine, but I have recently finsihed my plan; I own the device outright and have moved to a different telco in aust named Optus. The device is unlocked and i am now using an Optus sim card; Optus provided me with the correct APN details so I could enter into the web interface settings of the device and it's working correctly EXCEPT for one feature:

Where the data usage is usually displayed across the middle section of the screen, i have the words "Detecting Service" dsiplayed instead... the unit accesses the internet fine, and wifi is working fine BUT I am told that as this had telstra firmware added to it by netgear as part of their promo with telstra, it is still looking for the telstra server somewhere to transmit data usage for each session ... Now that I am receiving my data service from Optus on the device, I cannot see my data usage in each session on the actual screen of my AC810s.

I have tried resetting the device using the settings and while the unit does reset ok, wehn i start it again, the device still shows the words "Detecting Service" where the data usage should be shown on the display.

Can anyone please advise if there is a way to reset the device OR change the firmware of the device to a standard netgear AC810s format and not with the telstra firmware ... so in essence remove the telstra firmware so no matter what telco carrier I use, so long as I have a valid account and sim and a correct APN, I would like to see the data usage on the main screen while the device while it is being used.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated ... 

many thanks 

gt38

Model: AirCard 810S|Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III
Message 1 of 3
SkimMilk
Aspirant

I will love to be able to do this as well. I own the unlocked AC810S. It works well, but the data usage information is tied to Telstra's service.

This is a mobile router, so in my opinion, it should not be limited to 1 telco's information.

It's great as a travel router, where family members can connect to it when we are traveling and pop in a local data sim.

If we cannot switch the firmware to a non telco one, I'd hope that Netgear / Telstra come up with an option for us to change the display. Let us choose whether to use Telstra's or just display a generic counter (just like those data counter apps on our phones) whenever we wish. That will definitely make this a near perfect device.

Message 2 of 3
gt38
Initiate

Hi SkimMilk,

have been tearing my hair out trying to get this issue resolved ... Netgear blame telstra, testra blame optus and yep optus suggest it's still a netgear issue - I'm on the help desk merry go round Man Sad

latest: I am still trying to resolve with an Optus techie who actaully users the netgear model before the 810s and maybe out of pitty she's trying to help me ... Either way I will take any help I can get. If I get anywhere I will add a nother note to this community message with details.

A note for netgear:

I am extremely dissapointed with your customer support - you insist your device is working correctly because it's receiving a signal and is transmitting data BUT you still do not acknowledge that the model is designed to display data usage in each session but it does NOT display data usage if you use any carrier other than telstra ... pretty poor guys !

gt

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7