× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

AT&T Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router MR1100

pkdstuff
Tutor

AT&T Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router MR1100

Is it bad for the device to leave it usb connected and charging the battery? After my battery became fully charged the display on the router said to disconnect the charging cord.

Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1
Message 1 of 13
pkdstuff
Tutor

Re: AT&T Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router MR1100

The Manual doesn't address this question.

Message 2 of 13
pkdstuff
Tutor

The device actually says: Battery is fully charged, please remove power.

Message 3 of 13
roxyz
Aspirant

I can address this. I have the same question, because I use the hotspot as my only source of internet (I live in a rural area where there is no viable internet service). I have been plugging it in every morning and have to remember to unplug it every night and plug it back in the next morning. I would also prefer to just leave it plugged in, as I don't need to move it. THAT is the problem with unplugging it.

Message 4 of 13
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi @roxyz,

There are many MR1100 users here on this forum that have had very good success running the hotspot with the battery removed.  Be sure to get a QC2 or QC3 capable charger from a reputable company like Anker.

Many have found that the oem supplied charger is inadequate to run without the battery and trying to do so can result in crashed and reboots of the hotspot.  But many on this board using a QC2 or QC3 charger (plugged into the USBC connector) have been running rock solid for months without a battery.

The other issue some have experienced and/or postulated may be a concern is overheating under high load which can also results in crashes and reboots.  Though I'm not sure if this cause and effect relationship is as clear cut.  Some use fans and or heatsinks to cool the device and leave the back open and elevated after removing the battery.

Some folks also lower the display brightness, though I don't really see how this would really help much as the display is only on for 30s or a minute typically when you push the button.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 5 of 13
roxyz
Aspirant

Thanks very much. Am I looking at it 18 W or 24w?
Message 6 of 13
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

I use this one.  But I think the max wattage PER PORT according to the QC3 spec is only like 18W.   I use the USBA to USBC cable supplied with the hotspot but I know others have replaced with a high quality cable as well.  It's been reported the hotspot firmware will say "Quickcharge" when plugged in to such a power supply.  But I'm not sure which firmware versions display this.

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/PowerPort-Speed-5-Ports/A2054111

Message 7 of 13
roxyz
Aspirant

Thanks! I ordered the same one.
Message 8 of 13
RBar
Aspirant

The PDFManual says..."The mobile router, by default, is configured to optimize battery life. If your mobile router is plugged in for an extended period of time, the mobile router automatically reduces charging levels to help protect battery life."

https://www.netgear.com/images/InstallationGuide/mobile/MR1100ATT/MR1100ATT-USERS-MANUAL.pdf

Message 9 of 13
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pkdstuff,

We recommend you not to leave the device plugged in when the battery is full. This can overheat or damage the battery. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions. :]

- Jason N

Message 10 of 13
pkdstuff
Tutor

Is it true I can plug it in and run it without a battery in it?

Message 11 of 13
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pkdstuff,

Yes, There are some users on here are powering their M1 device with a quick charge power supply without the battery. You can do a search on it. We do not recommend it because it is not our product.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. :]

- Jason N

Message 12 of 13
Jerbaker
Aspirant

If you leave it plugged in ( like I do all the time ) !! I have  noticed that it goes into right now charging battery mode and will just charge the battery when needed  !

thank you 

JB

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7