× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

AT&T Unite Pro and Surface Book Wifi Issues

Orgbrat
Aspirant

AT&T Unite Pro and Surface Book Wifi Issues

I have a new Surface Book i7/16GB/512GB laptop and I also own a AT&T Unite Pro ( Netgear ) wifi hotspot that I have used with my Surface Pro 2 for almost a year with no issues. With the new Surface Book you see the UnitePro in the available wifi devices and it connects just fine. Open a browser and it surfs the internet fine if you hurry because after about 10-20 seconds the wifi connection closes leaving you without internet. Go back to wifi list in Windows 10 and the UnitePro has disappeared. The only way I can get the UnitePro back in list is by restarting the hotspot. You can watch the Windows 10 available devices and it appears. Make your connection and 10-20 seconds later it is gone again. Strange thing is when hotspot disappears from Windows 10 list and connectivity is gone the UnitePro says the Surface Book is still connected.

Now all that being said, I can turn on internet sharing on my HTC Windows 8.1 phone and the Surface Book uses that wifi connection just fine without errors or loss of connectivity.

So does anyone have a clue on how to use the AT&T Unite Pro with the new Surface Book just as I have for almost a year with my Surface Pro 2?

Orgbrat

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Orgbrat
Aspirant

Re: AT&T Unite Pro and Surface Book Wifi Issues

Hi Darren,

The solution for this issue was posted on Microsoft's Surface Book forum here. But it does seem to fix the problem

Seems to be a Windows 10 Marvell Wifi driver issue.

if this does not work, change the parameter back.

1.Press Windows button. Search for regedit. Open it

2. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\mrvlpcie8897

3. Find the item labeled “TXAMSDU”. Double tap and modify the value from 1 to 0

4. Restart the machine

Cause:

Microsoft states there a known issue with the .41 Marvell driver that results in low throughput with specific access points. The issue is specific to MAC layer aggregation (AMSDU over AMPDU) and only impacts a small subset of access points. They state they are working on a fix for an upcoming update. Until the fix is available, please update the registry key setting to work around this issue

Orgbrat

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Orgbrat

Does this just happen when using surface and not other devices? have you tried to tether it to see if it is having the same issue. hope to hear your feedback.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
Orgbrat
Aspirant

Hi Darren, As I stated in my original post this only happens with the new Microsoft Surface Book. I also have a Surface Pro 2 that I have used for over a year with the Unite Pro and it has worked perfect with no issues what so ever. On a side note the Surface Book works fine with my HTC Windows 8.1 phone as the hotspot. The Surface book only has issues with the AT&T Unite Pro hotspot.

Orgbrat

Message 3 of 5
Orgbrat
Aspirant

Hi Darren,

The solution for this issue was posted on Microsoft's Surface Book forum here. But it does seem to fix the problem

Seems to be a Windows 10 Marvell Wifi driver issue.

if this does not work, change the parameter back.

1.Press Windows button. Search for regedit. Open it

2. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\mrvlpcie8897

3. Find the item labeled “TXAMSDU”. Double tap and modify the value from 1 to 0

4. Restart the machine

Cause:

Microsoft states there a known issue with the .41 Marvell driver that results in low throughput with specific access points. The issue is specific to MAC layer aggregation (AMSDU over AMPDU) and only impacts a small subset of access points. They state they are working on a fix for an upcoming update. Until the fix is available, please update the registry key setting to work around this issue

Orgbrat

Message 4 of 5
greenbergm0625
Aspirant

I have the same issue with a 781s and a Surface Pro4. Only the 4 model - the V3 works fine - both on W10.

Will try this fix and see if it works

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7