× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Ac790s

WarrenTr
Initiate

Ac790s

Been trying for 4 hours to unlock a ac790s from telstra which is long out of contract and i brought outright anyway. I have a MEP code from telstra but thier software interface does have anywhere to apply the code. The information on netgear community is there but just sends you around in circles. Does not give you access to the info. Really thought netgear was a bit better than this
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello WarrenTr

You will want the Netgear aircard watcher program to do this I linked the article on how and the download.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23681/related/1

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/aircard/AC340U/Watcher_Generic_UM.msi

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
WarrenTr
Initiate

I already had aircard watcher on one of my computers but it wont find device. So i tried your link and downloaded again and installed on my laptop by got the same problem, unable to find device. I have a vodafone sim in the aircard 790s and it reluctanly sort of works but only on international roaming. It will not work on normal data downloads. I have never been able to enter the mep code that telstra gave me though. They seem really unhelpful on this matter wven though i have been with them for 10 years and paid about 14000 dollars for a poor internet connection in that time. Then i have also had to buy two hotspots outright from them in that time also because of a sim card problem. The telstra firmware is stopping the vodafone sim connection from working unless its in a international roaming which costs more. Is there a generic firmware or some hidden setting i can change to allow the ac790s to work with other isps in the normal data mode.
Thankyou kindly for your help.
Warren
Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Typically no there is no firmware since the ISP pushes out there own so no real way around that. Best thing to do maybe is buy a unlocked aircard not from the ISP and use the sim card that is compatible.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7