× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

AirCard 313U (AT&T) not recognized on Windows 10 machine

jkershner
Aspirant

AirCard 313U (AT&T) not recognized on Windows 10 machine

Tested AirCard works fine on Windows 7 machine

Insert AirCard into Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop - AT&T All Access app shows "modem unplugged" when it is inserted into USB port.

Contacted AT&T support they tried to help by pointing me to this support article http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29490#win10_aircard

I followed instructions and downloaded updated FW for AirCard 340U at  http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/aircard/AC340U/AC340U_FW_Upgrade.exe

I tthen tried to update fw on aircard, but update fails, I've tried multiple times, restarted my PC. 

any ideas on how to get it to work with Windows 10?

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: AirCard 313U (AT&T) not recognized on Windows 10 machine

Jkershner

Thank you for the screen shots. Have another thing we can try to do is Click on your windows/start button go to File Explorer then on the left hand side Click This PC on this screen you should see Devices and Drives If you see a Drive named AT&T or tru-install Right click on it and then select eject once this ejects see if Windows 10 sees and installs the aircard. If it is still not detected you can use the Netgear Aircard Watcher install this and check to see if the aircard is detected and working. Here is the link to download Aircard Watcher. 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/aircard/AC340U/Watcher_Generic_UM.msi

Let me know if this works

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 13

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jkershner

Welcome to the community

We are currently looking into your issue with the 313U and windows 10. We are testing to see what may be causing the issue with windows 10 compatibility I should have some more information for you shortly.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello jkershner

May of found a fix for the issues you are having. 

Uninstall AT&T All Access or AT&T Communication manger software. Reboot computer  and then plug AC313u in once Win 10 detects it look for AT&T connection and click on it to access connection setting then click on connection to connect and configure it if not already auto connected . Once Win10 connect using mobile broadband you should be good to go. Let me know if this solves the issue or if you have any questions or concerns.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 13
jkershner
Aspirant

DarrenM -
Thanks for the response.  I uninstalled AT&T AllAccess app.  Restarted my machine.  Inserted aircard into my usb port.... and nothing happens.   No prompt to use device.  Seems like Win10 is missing driver to recognize device?  or FW on device doesn't have correct protocol to communicate with Win10.
Let me know next steps.  
Thx!

Message 4 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

jkershner

I know you said you tried to update the firmware on the Aircard before and it failed. Have you tried to update the aircard while it was on the Windows 7 pc? Also under your Network connections do you see At&t listed as a network if so try to click connect and give it a minute and see if a network connects. And if the device is not showing up at all could you take a screen shot of your Network Connection screen and also a screen shot of your Device Manager with the Network Adapters, Ports, and USB sections expanded.  Hope to hear your feedback.

Thanks 

DarrenM

Message 5 of 13
jkershner
Aspirant

Darren -

Thanks for the follow up.

Have you tried to update the aircard while it was on the Windows 7 pc?

- I tried to install the Win 10 version of FW and got dialog box in bottom right corner, showing progress of driver installation.   Looks like 100% complete.  Then got the same fwup failure message.   I then tried to to install the Win 7 version and nothing seems to happen after starting the installer

Also under your Network connections do you see At&t listed as a network if so try to click connect and give it a minute and see if a network connects

- There are At&T wifi networks that belong to my neighbors, not the aircard.

http://screencast.com/t/hh4mPxJkO

And if the device is not showing up at all could you take a screen shot of your Network Connection screen and also a screen shot of your Device Manager with the Network Adapters, Ports, and USB sections expanded.  Hope to hear your feedback.

Here you go...http://screencast.com/t/eJPOOndzddu

Any other ideas?

Message 6 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Jkershner

Thank you for the screen shots. Have another thing we can try to do is Click on your windows/start button go to File Explorer then on the left hand side Click This PC on this screen you should see Devices and Drives If you see a Drive named AT&T or tru-install Right click on it and then select eject once this ejects see if Windows 10 sees and installs the aircard. If it is still not detected you can use the Netgear Aircard Watcher install this and check to see if the aircard is detected and working. Here is the link to download Aircard Watcher. 

DarrenM

Message 7 of 13
cmcpher5
Aspirant

If it's helpful, I logged on here to find an answer to the exact same problem. My 340U works fine on a Windows 7 machine, I've updated the firmware to the latest version, and I installed the watcher software as suggested but it doesn't see the device on the Windows 10 machine (because windows doesn't see it). It doesn't see it as a storage device either...

Also note, it's not that the device drivers don't install, windows never notices that ANYTHING usb has been plugged in so it never even tries to look for drivers...

It didn't work on a Windows 8.1 machine either.

The 340U powers up, but the device screen never shows the "ready to connect" screen. Only flashes the At&t logo.

Don't mean to interrupt the thread, so please let me know if this isn't helpful. I'm just very interested in the resolution. I'll be quiet unless one of you asks me a question directly. 🙂

Thanks!

-Chris

Message 8 of 13
cmcpher5
Aspirant

After digging around a bit more on other forums I found a work around. It seems the device doesn't like something about the USB ports (3.0 maybe), I put the device on a usb hub on the windows 10 machine and it worked like a charm.

-C

Message 9 of 13
jkershner
Aspirant

@DarrenM wrote:

Jkershner

Thank you for the screen shots. Have another thing we can try to do is Click on you windows/start button go to File Explorer then on the left hand side Click This PC on this screen you should see Devices and Drives

- There was no AT&T drive.

If you see a Drive named AT&T or tru-install Right click on it and then select eject once this ejects see if Windows 10 sees and installs the aircard. If it is still not detected you cna use the Netgear Aircard Watcher install this and check to see if the aircard is detected and working. Here is the link to download Aircard Watcher. 

I installed air card watcher and immedately I got connected to AT&T network, then the Win10 version of AT&T All Access app installed itself.  Looks like that app doesn't do anything, but the Netgear watcher is what is driving the connection to LTE network. 

Not sure if that's the way it's supposed to work, but it's working, so Thx!!

DarrenM

Message 10 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Jkershener

I am glad to hear that Netgear Aircard Watcher was able to get you up and running. If you have any other questions or issues please come back and post everyone in the community is here to help.

Also Anyone that is running into these same issues here is a KB article on how to setup a profile in Aircard watcher and the download link again.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22845

DarrenM

Message 11 of 13
rednlh
Aspirant

I just uninstalled Windows 10 update KB3116908. Since installing it I had been unable to access the internet using the 313U air card. I had no access to the internet at all except wi fi at McDonalds!.  Tried all your fixes listed above. None worked. Looks like KB3116908 was the problem all along!  Will see if the fix lasts. 

Message 12 of 13
rednlh
Aspirant

After trying all the fixes listed here I finally dug out my 2.5 usb hub, plugged it in and it works everytime I reboot!

Have been working on this problem for two weeks and the 2.5 usb hub fixed it. Thanks! Now if I could just get windows 10 to update while on the air card! Do not like making that trip to McDonalds!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7