× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: AirCard 785 Retail unlocked . Firmware update FAILED!

trancedroid
Aspirant

AirCard 785 Retail unlocked . Firmware update FAILED!

Capture.JPG

Hi! I tried to update the firmware of my device several times and it failed. I tried once manually using Telestra driver, and it still fails to update. On the website, there is no update for  AirCard 785 Retail unlocked, but I got the message "You got a new update" on the webpage interface of my device which failed to update. I just want to know what's going on.

Message 1 of 15
d4rr3ll
Aspirant

Mine seems to be in a very odd state as well this morning after an OTH firmware update yesterday.  This is a 785 retail unlocked version as well.  When I powered it up the morning the display was wrong, the battery showed as 'undefined' and the top right servivce indicator just shows the 'no entry' sign.  The device still works, but something has gone wrong with the firmware update.  The left 'menu' button on the device no longer works either.

I have tried a factory reset via the web interface but that didn't work.

How can I write either the previous version of the firmware to the device, or have another do at the latest?  I can't seem to find any firmware on the support site.

Message 2 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello trancedroid 

Since you have a Retail unlocked 785 you shouldn't be trying to use the telstra firmware should be using the generic driver which will auto installs from TRU install when you tether to the device. Also make sure you have good signal strength when trying to update.

Hello d4rr3ll 

you can try to do a factory reset by 

To reset the hotspot:

1. Press the Power and Navigation buttons at the same time for five seconds.

2. Press the Navigation button to cycle to the Factory Reset cycle.

3. To start the factory reset, press the Power button. A factory reset takes about one minute.

4. After the device resets, reconnect WiFi devices

Try that and see if the LCD is still giving you the wrong things.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 15
trancedroid
Aspirant

Hi. The thing is, the software downloaded the update several times but could not install it and gave an error. Now, every time I check for update, I never get any. The question is: Are there any updates for this device or not? What's going on?

Message 4 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

yes there is a Firmware update you may want to try a factory reset and then try to update the firmware again.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 15
trancedroid
Aspirant

I did a factory reset and this is what I get.

"No update available

There are no updates available for your device at this time.

Please check again later."

By the way, this is the firware version I got right now:

FW Version:NTG9X25A_02.08.00.51FW Build Date:05/04/15

Can I download the update manually if there is one? There is no  such link for my device on the website.

Message 6 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

There is no manual download what I am thinking happened is we had a firmware that was out for that device then it was pulled because of a issue. I am guessing your device was trying to get the firmware that was pulled so it wasnt working. We are working on fixing it and re releasing it so may not me fully released yet so as long as everything is working for you I wouldn't worry about the firmware. 

DarrenM

Message 7 of 15
trancedroid
Aspirant

Cool. Everything is clear. Thank you!

Message 8 of 15
d4rr3ll
Aspirant

Hi DarrenM,

I tried the factory reset and screen is still as it was before, the device still works.  I tried updating after the factory reset, initailly it said update available when I did 'Check for Update', I tried to download it but nothing happened, now when I click 'Check for Update' I get an Update Error with the message "There was a problem updating your device. Please try again later.".  

I'm happy to wait if a new release is imminent, and hopefully when a new update is available it will be able to update itself?  When do you think the fixed firmware will be available?

My main issue right now is that it won't switch it's screen off when on battery, thus reducing the battery life significantly.

Thanks

Darrell

Message 9 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello D4rr3ll

I have no ETA on that release but it sounds like there could be a issue with your device with the display you may want to contact netgear support if your still under warranty.

http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx

DarrenM

Message 10 of 15
d4rr3ll
Aspirant

Hi DarrenM,

I'm unconvinced it's just the display, I think this is a direct effect of the firmware update.  Surely there must be a way to flash an older version?  Last thing I need is to be without my aircard waiting for a replacement to arrive under warranty.

Darrell

Message 11 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Typically a Factory reset would revert it back and remove the newer firmware but as you said that has not been working for you. The device may of been partially corrupted causing the screen issues like your saying.  But Netgear Support will be able to better determine this and they may be able to send you a RMA and then you can send yours back but you will have to talk to them about that.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 15
trancedroid
Aspirant

This discussion is about the device failing to update. Read the subject please and create your own discussion if your problem is not related to the subject. I'm getting e-mails about you replying and I'm not interested. Thank you!

Message 13 of 15
d4rr3ll
Aspirant

Erm. I have a retail unlocked 785 and the firmware failed to update, I'd say it's pretty much on topic. I guess you don't understand the concept of forums tracedroid? Anyway, so as not to cause you any further distress due to the 9 emails you have received, I'll open another thread that details the exact same problem. @DarrenM - could you look out for the new thread please.

Message 14 of 15
m3ga
Aspirant

I also have the same problem.
Same firmware, tried to update from the web interface, device rebooted and then received the mesaage that the Update Failed.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7