× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Aircard 340u Problem with Windows 8.1

GusRandall
Aspirant

Aircard 340u Problem with Windows 8.1

I bought a brand new Windows 8.1 Laptop and Aircard 340u. I updated Windows 8.1 fully and then plugged in Aircard in. Supposedly, when you plug it in, Windows is supposed to recognize the device and install the drivers. That did not happen. Nothing happened when I plugged in the device no matter which port I used and no matter how many times I clean booted and tried again.

I plugged the device into a second Windows 8/1 laptop that I have and it worked perfectly - it immediately installed the drivers and worked. I have no explanation as to why it won't work in the new laptop. Neither did AT&T, nor HP, nor Netgear who I spent over 4 hours on the phone with yesterday.

Message 1 of 13
GusRandall
Aspirant

Re: Aircard 340u Problem with Windows 8.1

If I plug a basic USB2.0 hub into the laptop and then plug the Aircard 340u into the USB hub, the laptop can detect the modem and connect. My sense is that this may be some kind of USB port timing issue as I saw reference to a similar issue in a different forum addressing a different combination of the Aircard and another device (which I think converted the Airdcard into a HotSpot).

While a USB hub works, it does add bulk and one more thing to carry around so I would really like to find a way to fix the problem in the USB control. Something happens in the hub that allows the computer to see the modem so surely there is a way to change some USB settings to accomplish the same thing. Maybe a way to downtune a USB3.0 port on the laptop to USB2.0?

Any ideas?
Message 2 of 13
Jlittle489
Tutor

Did you ever get this resolved?  I have exactly the same situation - New HP Elitebook Folio 1020 with a 340u.  It does not work plugged directly in, but works fine if you plug it into a USB 2.0 HUB.  It works fine on my old HP laptop without the usb hub.

Message 3 of 13
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Jlittle489 ,

Is your Aircard 340u updated to Firmware Version 01.13.12.13 ?
To update firmware on Windows 8, please follow : http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/aircard/Win8%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf
If you are considering upgrading to Windows 10, here is more information on the device: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29490

Let us know how it works for you.

Regards,

NhanN

Message 4 of 13
Jlittle489
Tutor

By plugging the device into another PC and running the AT&T AllAccess Software show that the firmware is "NTG9X15C_01.13.12.13 r18963 ntgrbc-"

Message 5 of 13
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Jlittle489,

Thanks for clarifying. There is a new version 01.13.12.14 now available that was released 8/7/2015.
Please follow the documentation to complete the upgrade.

I hope to hear back from you.

Regards,

NhanN

Message 6 of 13
Jlittle489
Tutor

I update the firmware again, but still the same issue.  It is as if the device is not booting up correctly and reboots itself.

Message 7 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jlittle

Have you tried updating the drivers for your usb 3.0 ports I checked on Hps website looks like they just released some new usb drivers just a couple days ago. hope to hear your feedback.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 13
Jlittle489
Tutor

Will do!  I'll install all the HP updates and report back the USB driver info etc.  Thanks for the help!

Message 9 of 13
Jlittle489
Tutor

I found no new updates available for my PC.  I just found something else interesting.  As I mentioned before the device seems to just reboot over and over.  I have found that if i plug the device into a "charging only" port of a powered USB hub, it will fully boot up to "Ready to connect".  

How much power does this device require from the USB port?  It looks as if the laptop is not providing enough power to the device to allow it to startup.  I will check my laptop to see if there is some sort of power management that is limiting the power to the usb ports.

Message 10 of 13
Jlittle489
Tutor

Update:  I purchased a USB cord that lets you plug into two USB ports at the same time to add additional power (I've seen these on portable hard drives).  It is not a hub, just passive usb cable.  My modem device works fine with this configuration.  The problem is the power being supplied to the USB port is not enough.  I tried this on another laptop of the same model (I'm an HP reseller) and it had the same issue out of the box.  It is an HP issue.

Thanks for your time.

Message 11 of 13
RogerThornhill
Aspirant

Can you provide a manufacturer and part number (or link) for that passive sharing cable?    I searched around and didn't find it.

I'm having a similar problem with my aircard (it sees power but isn't recognized by the computer and doesn't connect to the network) and was hoping to try this suggestion.

Message 12 of 13
Jlittle489
Tutor

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7