× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Aircard MR1100 won't tether on USB

paulrob
Aspirant

Aircard MR1100 won't tether on USB

I got this device from Telstra today and it basically works ok on Wifi. Battery charged ok too and is now full.

I tried tethering it to the PC but nothing happens. I tried on two different Windows 10 PCs. It never comes up with a network for the device. I connected the USB Type C connector to the router and the USB3 Type A connector to the PC using the cable that came with the device. Checked the userguide online and it says there's nothing else to do. Rebooted the PCs - no joy. Reset the Mobile Router to factory settings and still no joy. Confirmed in the settings via the mobile app that Charge + tether is selected. Help please?

Thanks and kind regards,

Paul

Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
paulrob
Aspirant

Re: Aircard MR1100 won't tether on USB

Here's the non-reply I got from Netgear support:

Based on the serial number of your device, we were able to identify that your unit is not a retail product. This type of unit is engineered / customized based on the needs of an Internet Service Provider and can only be obtained through them. This means that the support including the replacement / return should be handled through the Internet Service Provider which the product was obtained.

So I spoke with the Telstra store where I bought it and they said to contact their technical support call centre. I pointed to the store sign that said "Tech Bar" and they said I had to call the call centre.

The call center got me to tether the modem to the laptop, then open a browser (I used firefox - which couldn't go anywhere) then log into http://m.home/, and this actually got me to the modem control panel and I could log into the modem from there ok. After that I was able to go to other web sites via the tethered connection ok on firefox. First time in three days that tethering has worked...

BUT...

I tried MS Edge browser in windows 10 and it was stuck on not rendering any page. Telstra got my postcode and said there are cell tower upgrades at present in my suburb and there will be service interruptions until Feb 21. Try after that. So I asked them to keep the help ticket open until then. They asked me to try Google Chrome (which they said is the "fastest" browser) and that seemed to work okay.

So it's not completely resolved, but there's some progress. Hope I don't have to log into the stupid comtrol panel every time I want to use tethering (that's not documented anywhere) but there you go.

And Netgear, thanks for offering zero support on your product. I'll remember that next time I see your brand on anything, and I'll tell all my social networks about how much you've refused to helped me. In my view, you should remove your branding from the device if you want to avoid support calls like mine, as most tech dealers tell customers to call the manufacturer if there's a problem.

Kind regards,

Paul

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
paulrob
Aspirant

I should add, it does tether with ethernet, but I have to use an ethernet dongle for that on the ultrabook. Still can't get it to tether on USB. It seems to block all my network settings on the PC.

Thanks again.

Paul

Message 2 of 7
paulrob
Aspirant

Here's the non-reply I got from Netgear support:

Based on the serial number of your device, we were able to identify that your unit is not a retail product. This type of unit is engineered / customized based on the needs of an Internet Service Provider and can only be obtained through them. This means that the support including the replacement / return should be handled through the Internet Service Provider which the product was obtained.

So I spoke with the Telstra store where I bought it and they said to contact their technical support call centre. I pointed to the store sign that said "Tech Bar" and they said I had to call the call centre.

The call center got me to tether the modem to the laptop, then open a browser (I used firefox - which couldn't go anywhere) then log into http://m.home/, and this actually got me to the modem control panel and I could log into the modem from there ok. After that I was able to go to other web sites via the tethered connection ok on firefox. First time in three days that tethering has worked...

BUT...

I tried MS Edge browser in windows 10 and it was stuck on not rendering any page. Telstra got my postcode and said there are cell tower upgrades at present in my suburb and there will be service interruptions until Feb 21. Try after that. So I asked them to keep the help ticket open until then. They asked me to try Google Chrome (which they said is the "fastest" browser) and that seemed to work okay.

So it's not completely resolved, but there's some progress. Hope I don't have to log into the stupid comtrol panel every time I want to use tethering (that's not documented anywhere) but there you go.

And Netgear, thanks for offering zero support on your product. I'll remember that next time I see your brand on anything, and I'll tell all my social networks about how much you've refused to helped me. In my view, you should remove your branding from the device if you want to avoid support calls like mine, as most tech dealers tell customers to call the manufacturer if there's a problem.

Kind regards,

Paul

Message 3 of 7
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi paulrob,

Are you able to advise if you have full admin rights on the Windows 10 PC's and if they are both upto date with Windows Updates?  USB tethering uses windows based drivers and should be plug and play.  Can you supply me your email address so I can contact you directly to further troubleshoot this issue?

Message 4 of 7
paulrob
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, AroiD. I sent you my email in a private message.

I do have admin rights, can install any software at all. One PC (win 10 Enterprise - Lenovo X1 Yoga core i5, with 256 GB SSD and 16 G GB memory) is registered with an Azure account and PIN, so doesn't have a password per se. The other PC (Win 10 Pro on Core i7 with 515GB SSD and 16 GB memory - MS Surface Book) uses a plain local admin account. Both are Windows 10 64 bit versions and always kept up to date with windows updates. Currently I can get it to work with firefox over USB tethering, but MS Edge is completely unresponsive on the net for several minutes, and eventually times out to a blank page. Several more minutes waiting allows me to go to my home page http://bing.com/?cc=au

The wifi icon in the status icon area doesn't change to a LAN symbol for at least 10 mins, in the meantime I can't get to *any* network settings in Windows 10 to see what's going on.

it's more than frustrating. It's unworkable in USB tethering.

Ethernet tethering works much better (almonst normally)

WiFi attachment without cable tethering works fine.

I've just tried it on a third machine with the same outcome (Win 10 Pro 64 bit on Core i7 Lenovo Twist with 256 GB SSD and 8 GB memory). This machine has recently had a full windows RESET (reinstallation) and updated again to the latest updates and manufacturer's drivers.

Thanks and kind regards,

Paul

Message 5 of 7
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Paul,

I have sent you a driver package for manual install.  Please try it out and let me know the results.

Kind Regards,

ArodiD

Message 6 of 7
cy16
Aspirant

Hi ArodiD,

My PC is window 10 and I have similar USB3 connect problem, could you kindly send me the MR1100 USB driver for manual installation.

Thanks in advance.

BR,

C.Y. Wu

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7