× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Antenna plugs for Nighthawk M2

ChrisHarding
Aspirant

Antenna plugs for Nighthawk M2

Hi Guys  We livestream weddings and I have two M2's each with a different carrier as sometimes some cell towers are closer than others.   I use a LPDA antenna on a 4m stand in most cases but fing that the tiny TS9 plugs tend to get loose and you end up squeezing them to make them tighter and , of course, enentually they break!!!  To solve this I use a TS to SMA adaper in the primary antenna port and I have added a dab of epoxy adhesive to keep it in place.   My question is IF i am in an area with a signal stong enough to use just the internal Nighthawk antennas will the fact that I have the adapter plugged into the port (but open circuit (so nothing is plugged into it)) turn off the internal antennas ???   Here I'm assuming that once you plug in an antenna to the adapter it will not use the internal antennas in the unit but will they still work if I just have the adapters plugged in??? 

Message 1 of 6
W1lliam
Virtuoso

On original TS-9 antenna port, once you have any antenna connector plugged, the built-in antenna will be disconnected regardless if you have external antenna plugged along with that connector.

Message 2 of 6
ChrisHarding
Aspirant

Thanks so much William 

Darn!  I was hoping the unit wouldn't see the the adapter as it's just an open circuit device with nothing plugged into it but obviously not ..I have actually used epoxy to keep the TS9-SMA adapters in place so instead of trying to chip the adhesive away would it be a better bet to just screw in two SMA 4G antennas into the adapters if I don't want to use my big LPDA antenna (like in an indoor environment)    Your help is much appreciated!!

Model: MR2100|Mobiler Router Nighthawk M2
Message 3 of 6
W1lliam
Virtuoso

You can take a look at this, https://www.fts-hennig.de/antennenkabel/adapter/antennenadapter-nighthawk-m2.html, the beauty of this case is you can remove it when needed and having solid connection when you need to attach external antenna.

Message 4 of 6
ChrisHarding
Aspirant

Thanks

I did look at them but then again I seldom use the Nighhawk's internal antennas so it would probably be more practical to keep the adapters plugged in and use a smaller antenna indoors  ... I have used the M2 as it stands with the adapter glued in but no external antenna and in a good reception area I can actually get a very good signal despite the fact that the internal antennas are disabled ... I guess if the signal is srong enough not even the internal antenna is required

Message 5 of 6
W1lliam
Virtuoso

The antenna connector is also becoming kind of antenna even you don't have external antenna plugged, it would just work as long as the signal in that area is good enough

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7