× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Anyone know what the latest firmware for the M1100 fixs?

hippolyte
Apprentice

Re: Anyone know what the latest firmware for the M1100 fixs?

It is more than Data Display, after the factory reset/s, connected device display is also gone. This now constitutes minor security issue if using device while away from home.

Connected devices are still available in the Dashboard and App, including LAN. Whitelist is still useful.

Whirlpool forum and Telstra Community forum informed my decision to sit tight and batten the hatches.

With regard to the plan limit setting, Yes and No. The Dashboard Web page has no settings I can find re Data Usage/Plan. But the iOS Mobile App has a Data Usage Button which promises to take us to a Pre-Paid activation service. Not applicable for Telstra Post Paid.

By the way has anyone tried to restore the pointlessly saved export.cfg files because they do not reset personal preferences. They do nothing, at least from a Mac.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 26 of 72
MicW
Luminary

Hi Hippolyte Here is a picture of my dashboard I circled in red the settings for data display that the new firmware added.( well I hope it has uploaded the picture I'll try again with a ingur link if it doesn't work). Is your dashboard different to this?
Message 27 of 72
MicW
Luminary

The picture of my dashboard is just on the right side o the above post ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 28 of 72
hippolyte
Apprentice

Most useful image, thank you MicW.

I made a couple just now to clarify the plight of a Telstra Customer.

Dashboard image is an attachment.

Not reassuringNot reassuring

Message 29 of 72
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Latest Telstra approved FW is MR1100TLAU,V03.21_00 .
Message 30 of 72
MicW
Luminary

Are you sure of that firmware  number @TeeJay74 , it deviates significantly to prior firmware. If so any information for the telstra guys to get hold of it?

Message 31 of 72
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Please check webgui, nighthawk m1 status->diagnostics->device, PRI version, is it 03.21 or something else.
Message 32 of 72
hippolyte
Apprentice

About the saved export.cfg files, after testing backup and restore on my Mac and then on Windows10, I can confirm they work on Windows and do not work on Mac.

In both instances the Dashboard reports success, and the device reboots. Only the Windows restore takes.

Message 33 of 72
hippolyte
Apprentice

Yes @TeeJay74, we are talking about the same thing just looking at it differently. The latest firmware has changed the PRI version from 02.15 with firmware NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04 to PRI version 03.21 with firmware NTG9X50C_10.25.01.00. Each firmware released to us about 6 weeks after build dates, presumably for provider testing. 

Message 34 of 72
rabbieb
Guide

Yes my M1 shows PRI is 3.21 and FW is NTG9X50C_10.25.01.00. 

"Each firmware released to us about 6 weeks after build dates, presumably for provider testing."

Does this mean Netgear will make it generally available in a few weeks? 

Message 35 of 72
hippolyte
Apprentice

Hi, rabbieb.

You will see the build date in the device info. This one was 2017/03/31. On each update the OTA is pushed to us about 6 weeks on. We got it in March.

Like you I received issues with my device since the latest, along with some feature improvements.

According to Telstra Tech Support there is no access to these updates except as they arrived, Over the Air. Netgear seems to duck the issue by saying each service provider has it’s own requirements.

Hence no way back, no proper troubleshooting forward either.

Factory resets do not revert as the boot loader is also updated at the same time.

My personal decision re this, is to use it while internet works, hope for better next OTA, use Telstra Tech Support for device return only if internet fails.

i hope this helps.

Message 36 of 72
hippolyte
Apprentice

Sorry, I gave the wrong build date it should be 2018/01/31.

Message 37 of 72
MicW
Luminary

@hippolyteThe way your dashboard and modem display look is what mine was like before the firmware. It's quite possible that the lack of display data is not a firmware/modem issue , (as the data retrieval is automated for Telstra customers)but a Telstra problem. If they haven't updated their server to match the latest firmware then you would get that result. I would not be surprised if Telstra dragged their feet in updating the server side,perhaps they may be testing it still for stability, before enabling it on their servers and public use.

Message 38 of 72
hippolyte
Apprentice

Thanks for that @MicW.

At last, some information that makes sense of this mixed blessing update. It confirms my suspicion that the Mobile Assurance SME and Telstra Tech Support Team I spoke with are not in any kind of real support loop.

Your perspective as a non Telstra customer is invaluable.

This would also tie in with reports of Data Usage Info loss for Telstra customers immediately after the NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04 update, which did not happen to me. Perhaps because of my MacOS-only restore issue, I resist factory resets if at all possible.

With NTG9X50C_10.25.01.00, my Data Usage disappeared first, but the amount remained frozen in the Mobile App prepaid section, until the factory resets. After the factory reset required by Telstra “Support” everything went.

There is one reference on the Telstra Community to a Device Returned to Telstra Shop:

A contract cancelled, a new contract/device with OTA firmware updated by Telstra shop, with an early termination fee hassle. Apparently that new device works as it should.

This confuses the issue, and points heavily to the OTA process, not firmware. This theory could only be tested if the update files were made available. Not likely, given track record of Device Supplier/Manufacturer.

Either way, this forum and whirlpool as an observer, plus the more limited Telstra Community have confirmed my gut instinct to resist the blind return without exchange I have been offered by Telstra.

To alter a familiar saw, “If it’s only half broken, don’t fix it”

News Flash: response from a Telstra Tech support on Community:

“I’ve been speaking with our Device Support Teams with regard to this problem and we've not been able to replicate it on Test Devices that have been updated to the same software version OTA.

The version we updated to is NTG9X50C_10.25.01.00

It has been suggest for you to contact Netgear directly to see if they can arrange for the update package to be sent to you to perform the update again.”

In other words; Go ask you mother.

Message 39 of 72
hippolyte
Apprentice

Oops, I meant; Go ask Your mother, a far different meaning entirely.

Message 40 of 72
hippolyte
Apprentice

@rabbieb

Your instinct to obtain the files is a valid and promising troubleshooting step.

Like you I believe we could go a long way to solving these issues, if we could access the firmware files. But I have hit a brick wall from both Telstra and Netgear.

Telstra have moved from a position of “Not Known”, when asked if they were aware of any functioning devices on 24 March, to a position of “not being able to replicate it on test devices” on 26 March.

The only solution offered to me today by Tech Support on the Telstra Community is to refer me to Netgear for an OTA repeat push, which looks to be out of my reach.

What I believe is an unnecessary device return (without exchange device) is now staring me in the face. I am strongly resisting this option.

Message 41 of 72
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi everyone,

I am going to forward this issue to my internal team to have them look into this issue. I will update everyone when I have more information. :]

- Jason N

Message 42 of 72
hippolyte
Apprentice

Thanks, @JasonN. Appreciated.

Message 43 of 72
hippolyte
Apprentice

Hello All,

Please see latest offer of support from Telsta: Nighthawk-M1-Firmware-Update-Protocols

Any advice on whether I should proceed with device replacement. Unable to get to Tech Bar to see it working before I commit. Quandary.

Message 44 of 72
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@hippolyte wrote:

The only solution offered to me today by Tech Support on the Telstra Community is to refer me to Netgear for an OTA repeat push, which looks to be out of my reach.

I don't think we do OTA repeat push, however there's expected to be another firmware update later this month, so if a repeat OTA update would help, that should as well.

Message 45 of 72
MicW
Luminary

@hippolyteHard to say, personally I'd wait for the next firmware. Though maybe it would not hurt to ask Telstra if they can confirm if the replacement M1 they are about to send you shows the data usage display you are missing  if you go that way.

I wonder Hippolyte, have you tried a optus sim (or optus reseller sim) in your M1 and see if that updates the data display. Just a thought, I have no idea if this will have any affect.

@mdgm-ntgr

Any word on what fixs are in the new firmware? Such as, does it fix the Telstra data usage display issue, and does it fix not being able to update from the old firmware to the latest?

Message 46 of 72
hippolyte
Apprentice

@MicW  I am unable get Optus reception bu I did test the sim in a Aircard 790s which performed well and showed data usage, connected devices etc.

Telstra is unable to confirm working device with new software as it will be sent from the factory.

My gut instinct before becoming embroiled in the complaint process was to sit tight and wait for the next FW.

Against the wind, I have accepted new device, but it doesn't feel right.

Message 47 of 72
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@MicW wrote:

@mdgm-ntgr

Any word on what fixs are in the new firmware? Such as, does it fix the Telstra data usage display issue

@ArodiD has mentioned that the data usage display issue will be fixed in the next firmware release.

Message 48 of 72
MicW
Luminary

@mdgm-ntgrthankyou for the information 🙂

Message 49 of 72
MAGADE
Guide

I guy, first sory for my english but it is not my native language.

May somebody can explain to me the process of the OTA update.

I got a AUS version with very old firmware but doesn't want to update

It is an unlocked TELSTRA and used with a french free sim.

It work but it is impossible to get an update.

What mean repeat OTA. It is a synchronisation with a server who check if the product have asked before to update over the OTA with the EMEI number or other stuf like that?

It it possible to ask to netgear to clear my remote acces for my product to reinitialized my update OTA process?

Please, explain to me. Thanks

Message 50 of 72
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 71 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7