× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

CM500 download speed reduced.

directs
Aspirant

CM500 download speed reduced.

My ISP is Wowway and I am using a CM500 router.  Download router speeds were fine (100+mbps) for several months.  All of a sudden speeds dropped to 20 mbps.  Upload speeds are fine.  Wowway says there is no problem on their end, Netgear says the same.  Netgear replaced the modem once.  Nothing has changed.  THe router is running firmware version 1.0.1.04.  Netgear says there is a upgrade to .05 that must come from the ISP.   Wowway will do nothing, although my speeds, up to 2 weeks ago, were great using .04.  Any one else having this problem and is there a fix?  Thanks

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 4
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Modem Speed

Hi Directs,

Thank you for posting in the community. NETGEAR has already replaced your device and is still having the same issue. They also said that the firmware is provided by your ISP. Is there a reason why your ISP is not giving you the firmware? If you refer to the support page of the CM500, under firmware. It says that the firmware is pushed out through your ISP and not from NETGEAR.

Please let me know. :]

- Jason N

Message 2 of 4
directs
Aspirant

Hi Jason!  I requested this from my ISP, but they are reluctant to update the firmware.  I have read on the internet that this has been a problem with Wowway.  I am not convinced that it will solve my issue as I was running at top speed for almost 2 months and all of a sudden it bottoms out.  Their suggestion.....try an Arris.  Crazy when the Netgear CM500 is on their approved list.

Message 3 of 4
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi directs,

Thank you for your response. Have you tried performing a factory reset on your modem? (holding the reset button on the back of your device for 10-15 seconds)

Is the download speed reduced for wired and wireless connections? 

Can you please PM me with your firmware // PRI # // Sku # // etc. to me.  

Please provide your contact information.

Thank you. :]

- Jason N

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7