× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Can I enable IP pass through mode on an AC340U?

echeal
Aspirant

Can I enable IP pass through mode on an AC340U?

Is it possible to put the AC 340U into IP pass through mode? If so, how?

FYI, the AC appears to have the latest firmware installed: NTG9X15C_01.13.12.14 r18981

Background: I'm trying to use my AC340U (AT&T Beam) with a PocketPORT 2 modem bridge. The PP2 requires the USB modem to be in IP pass through mode. Proxicast (maker of the PP2) has a utility that is perported to put the AC340U into IP pass through mode (see proxicast FAQ ID # 268). Their utility appears to run sucessfully, yet the AC340U fails to actuallly go into IP pass through mode, so it also fails to work with the PP2 (the AC is functional with my PC, but the PC is not getting the real world IP address, it gets a 10.whatever address). It seems the only direct access to the AC340U is via the AT&T AllAccess software, which is really limited (no real access to modem settings, or maybe there is, and it's hidden?). Is there any other way to get the AC into IP pass through mode?

Thanks in advance,  -Ed

Model: AirCard 340U|AT&T Beam
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Can I enable IP pass through mode on an AC340U?

Hello echeal 

You would have to contact your ISP as they do all the support for this product.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
echeal
Aspirant

Re: Can I enable IP pass through mode on an AC340U?

Well, it turns out that the utility provided by proxicast does work. What I didn't realize is that even with IP pass through mode, the IP you get from AT&T is a private IP address (10.whatever), and AT&T routes that private address to a public address (I happen to get a 100.whatever address). In other words, you effectively have AT&T's router between your AC340U and the rest of the internet. So the bottom line is that there is no way to externally access your AC340U (or the device it is connected to, or anything else on your LAN) using a consumer AT&T wireless account. You can probably get a public IP, maybe even a static public IP, with a business account, but the cost of that business wireless service might be prohibitive.

-Ed

Model: AirCard 340U|AT&T Beam
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7