× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Can I use a Nighthawk M2 as internet input to Orbi Router?

BgeeOz
Aspirant

Can I use a Nighthawk M2 as internet input to Orbi Router?

I have a dilemma.  No NBN broadband service available because we live in a retirement village that provides internet via their LAN.  No NBN cabling installed, and not within Fixed Wireless Broadband area. Internet provided degrading rapidly as village fully occupied, and younger residents using internet more. Single IP exit to Telstra copper connection supports about 28mbps on a quiet good day. Drops to 1-3 mbps in evenings. Streaming SBS is literally impossible, while Netflix is still usable some times. Village is looking into an upgrade to fiber to Telstra, but they have been in discussion for a long time, and nothing happening for months. 

Considering use of mobile broadband in the interim, but Wifi will not provide all the connectivity we require. Have Orbi with 2 satellites providing in house connectivity, and would like to continue using it. 

So, the question is, anybody have any experience using a Netgear Nighthawk M2 connected to an Orbi router via Ethernet connector from the Nighthawk to the Orbi Internet input? Any technical reason it will not work?  Assuming it does work, and the Nighthawk is getting 30-50 mbps from the mobile tower, will the connection to the Orbi provide that speed?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
APhelan
Aspirant

Great question!! I’m looking to do the same!
Can’t see any solutions but did you end up trying it? If so how did it go?
Appreciate any tips or thoughts.
Thanks
Model: MR2100|Mobiler Router Nighthawk M2, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Definitely, you can set up your Orbi to work to MR2100. We sell such bundle in European countries.

Some tips for such setup.

1. Use MR2100 without battery

2. Enable IP passthrough MR2100

3. Make sure ethernet port timer is set to Never. I think by default, the device is set this way.

4. Everytime MR2100 reboots, you need to reboot Orbi to get a new IP

Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7