× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Can I use the Nighthawk as a travel router - NOT a hotspot (sort-of)

GracieAllen
Tutor

Can I use the Nighthawk as a travel router - NOT a hotspot (sort-of)

My situation is that I have a Nighthawk that CAN'T be used to connect to anything.  I'm on Visible.com and they DO NOT allow me to put the cell phone Sim into the (in THEORY) unlocked Nighthawk so it can talk to the Verizon towers.  DON'T ASK.

I HAVE to use the cell phone for the data connection, but using the PHONE as a HOTSPOT it can ONLY CONNECT TO ONE DEVICE AT A TIME (yes, it actually PREVENTS you from connecting to a second device).  Which means if the phone is being a hotspot and streaming Netflix, I CANNOT go onto the tablet to check the data throughput.

I can, however, tether it to a "travel router" or equivalent.  In truth, Visible is SLOW enough that you're NOT going to be running multiple devices actually DOING anything, so it's not like I'm going to be streaming, doing something on a computer, doing something on the tablet, etc. concurrently.  BUT, it would be NICE, should I NEED TO, to be able to connect a second device occasionally.

IS there a simple, easily-explainted, idiot-proof way of turning the Nighthawk into such a router so my PHONE does the Internet connection, tether it to the Nighthawk, and have the Nighthawk provide the hotspot for devices to connect to?  In theory, there wouldn't even BE a Sim in the Nighthawk, though I have two (one AT&T from a disastrous membership with OTR Mobile, and one for T-Mobile for the never-worked alternative to AT&T before I gave UP on OTR Mobile), neither of which is active as far as I know.  I EVEN have one for Verizon for the old phones before we switched to Visible from Verizon...  (it SEEMED like a good idea at the time)

Doable or not?  Simple?  If SO, are there detailed instructions that can be followed by someone who doesn't have much idea what they're doing?

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 3
GracieAllen
Tutor

Re: Can I use the Nighthawk as a travel router - NOT a hotspot (sort-of)

Hello, anybody out there?

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 2 of 3
Bolla
Aspirant

Re: Can I use the Nighthawk as a travel router - NOT a hotspot (sort-of)

Hi there. Im in need of the same functionality to my Nighthawk r8000. I Will let you know i If i find something elsewhere. I know that Asus has this funtionality via USB, so i guess ITS possible 🙂
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7