× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Can anyone help me with my home networking issue?

Kevin234
Aspirant

Can anyone help me with my home networking issue?

Straight to the point - my router is downstairs and my computer upstairs. No ethernet jacks anywhere in the house and impossible to install them since we are renting.

My room is relatively far from the router (around -70dBm on 2.4GHz using Wi-Fi Analyzer). Speedtest is unstable and sometimes my computer gets <1Mbps whilst my phone/laptop get around 15 Mbps. I'm on NBN and get the full 100Mbps when in the same room as the router. As a workaround, I'm currently using my phone as a hotspot (using the Wi-Fi). However the Wi-Fi on my phone is not always either.

Since I'm not exactly close to the router I don't expect to get the full 100Mbps but I kinda expect a little bit more than 15-20 Mbps. I'm wondering what is best thing to do in this situation. These are the things I've considered:

• Powerline adapters - I've had little success with these in my previous home and I don't think they're a reliable option. I don't really want to buy a pair only to find that they don't work well. If I were to provide the electrical plans for my house would anyone be able to tell me if this would be a viable option?

• Get a better router - I'm currently using the one supplied to me by my ISP (Sagemcom 3864V3AC ). If I buy a better router with more reach will this fix the issue?

• Get a new Wi-Fi adapter for my PC - I'm currently using a Qualcomm Atheros AR98x. Sometimes I get stable speeds and sometimes the speed is so slow I can't even load a website, compared to my phone which has no issues. Do I need to buy a new Wi-Fi adapter?

• Get a really long cable and connect it from the router downstairs to my PC upstairs - unfortunately this is not possible.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Kevin234
Aspirant

Re: Can anyone help me with my home networking issue?

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Kevin234 ,

I have had similar issues in the past.  I would recommend something like an Orbi or a Nighthawk Mesh system.  Plug your PC into one of the ethernet ports of a satellite and the router can be plugged into your existing NBN modem.  The WiFi chipset on the satellite will outperform your PC's WiFi adapter which will give you a more stable connection.  In my case I did not see a degradation in speeds connecting to router or satellite.

Regards,

Arodi

Message 2 of 4
icaruspony
Luminary

If you have cable outlets, get MOCA adapters. They are better than powerline.
Message 3 of 4
Kevin234
Aspirant

Thank you all for your responses and help.

https://19216881.org/ https://1921681001.link/ https://19216801.digital/

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7