× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Can't setup AC1750 to work with MR1100

BillFromMD
Guide

Can't setup AC1750 to work with MR1100

MODEM/ROUTER: Netgear MR 1100 cell hotspot
ROUTER: Netgear AC 1750 (R6350)

I am having ZERO luck setting up this router.

I've been through the setup process half a dozen times with the Netgear Nighthawk app and it's just not happening. I never get the Internet light to light up as any color, which leads me to believe this unit isn't detecting an Ethernet cable. I've tried two cables - one was the one provided and the other the one I use for my PS4, which I hard wire all the time with the MR 1100 with no issues so I know it's not faulty. I only get two lights lit - power and Wi-Fi. The other two lights have never come on.

I initially tried changing the hotspot modem/router to pass through its internet by enabling IP passthrough and disabling DHCP. The MR1100 recognized that the router was connected to it because it said 1 device detected. I never got the router to detect that even a ethernet cable was connected. I then did a factory resest on the MR1100 modem/router (since it was no longer prioviding Wi-Fi since I'd told it not to) and still no luck. 

I haven't been able to complete setup with the Nighthawk app and I've been unable to login to the router with routerlogin.com because it doesn't recognize an internet source.

I'm ready to just take back this modem and give up. Is there ANY hope for setting up this router with a MR 1100 modem/router? They're both Netgear. I didn't think it would be THIS difficult!

So, what should I do besides return it?

Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

Have you tried running the R6350 in access point mode? Leave the MR1100 running in router mode with the R6350 just controlling wireless and ethernet? 

Message 2 of 16
labatt
Mentor

Besides the setting the router in AP mode, good suggestion, you might ask question on this forum as it supports you cell modem.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/bd-p/aircard

Message 3 of 16
BillFromMD
Guide

Not sure how to do that. Guess I've got some more research to do. 

Message 4 of 16
labatt
Mentor

Go to this site and put in the router model. Will take you to a download section where you can download the user manual. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/download/default.aspx

Message 5 of 16
BillFromMD
Guide

I can't do access point mode because I still can't login to the router. I dragged the whole setup over to my Home PC and did Modem (MR1100) into Internet on the Router  (AC1750-R6350) and that into and ethernet port on the PC and still nothing. The PC can see the ethernet conection, but says it has no internet. I found MAC addresses using a CMD line and still, Netgear Genie can't find the internet. Oh, and the Internet light STILL hasn't lit to even show me "yes, there's an ethernet cable but no, there's no internet". This is SOOOOO frustrating! You shouldn't need a degree in computer science AND electrical engineering AND experience as a network technician to install a simple router, especially when the modem and router are from the same company!!!!

Message 6 of 16
labatt
Mentor

Forget trying to use the apps. Not that great and not needed for most things. 

Open a browser on PC or MAC connected by Ethernet and go to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Wireless is fine as well as long as you have a wireless connection to the router, but Ethernet is prefured. That should get you there for a login to the router. If not there are more basic problems. This does not require an Internet connection. 

Message 7 of 16

@BillFromMD wrote:

I can't do access point mode because I still can't login to the router.

A sign of two routers in line and "double NAT".

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Which of the two routers are you talking about there?

If you can connect to the R6350, its proper name, you can get its IP address. Then aim a browser at that and get at the browser graphical user interface.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

You can set up the R6350 on its own. Disconnect it from the MR1100, connect it to a PC, access it in the usual way. Put it into AP mode and then reconnect it to the network, behind the MR1100.

Message 8 of 16
BillFromMD
Guide

"You can set up the R6350 on its own. Disconnect it from the MR1100, connect it to a PC, access it in the usual way. Put it into AP mode and then reconnect it to the network, behind the MR1100."

What do you mean by access it the usual way? And how would I put it in AP mode? You're skipping an awful lot of steps. Tell me EVERY button click, every time I should plug in or take out a cable, how I should be connected to the internet - walk me all the way through it, if possible. Because every set of directions I'm finding online says "Now login to the router" and I want to bang my head against the wall. If I could do that, I wouldn't have come to your website!

I've done everything Netgear's app has asked me. I've tried using Netgear Genie through my PC. None of it works. I can't login to this modem. I took teh first one back and exchanged it and I'm having teh same problem - nothing I do will let me login to this modem. I spent 90 minutes on teh phone with Netgear support and they basically gave up and told me to exchange it. So I did, and same problem. I've never seen the Internet light on, which means it's not detecting an ethernet cable, even though I know the Ethernet port on my MR1100 is working and the cable is fine.

And here's my rant about how this shouldn't be this hard. You shouldn't need computer science and electrical engineering degrees with a networking certifcation to install a home router!

So, pardon my ignorance, but what EXACTLY do you mean by "access the routher the usual way"? Explain it like I'm 5, because when it comes to home networking, it seems I am. 

Message 9 of 16

Did you follow the link I gave for the documentation?

Did you retrieve the manual for the R6350?

Did you find the section Use the Router as a WiFi Access Point Only?

I commend it to your attention.

The alternative is to Enable IP Pass-Through Mode but that looks to be more complicated and you have tried it already and failed.

First you need to sort out what you are taking about. Take this bit:

@BillFromMD wrote:

I've done everything Netgear's app has asked me. I've tried using Netgear Genie through my PC. None of it works. I can't login to this modem.

What is "this modem"? Your first messages was about "setting up this router".

Modems and routers are different things. In your case, the MR1100 is a modem/router.

The R6350 is a router.

Which are talking about here?

Two routers on a network are a recipe for disaster, or at least chaos and confusion.

This explains some of the drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

To get the two to work together, you can set up the R6350 as an access point. See above.

First get the modem/router working on its own. Then tackle the R6350.

Message 10 of 16
BillFromMD
Guide

Did you follow the link I gave for the documentation? YES

Did you retrieve the manual for the R6350? YES

Did you find the section Use the Router as a WiFi Access Point Only? YES

So, while I appreciate all the suggestions on how to set the AC1750 as an access point, and I do agree that if I could do that it would certainly solve my issue, I can't do ANYTHING until Netgear will let me login to the AC1750. Which I can't. I am stopped when I try to login to the AC1750 (whether it's using http://192.168.1.1 or the Netgear App or http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com) because Netgear says I'm not on the internet. I know I shouldn't have to be, but Netgear will not let me login to the AC1750 for the first time without internet access. It just won't. I am defeated every time at the step where I am to login to the AC1750. I’m obviously missing a step or getting something wrong, but I can’t figure out what it is.

The Netgear Nighthawk app refuses to find the AC1750 as I follow the setup process it describes. On the last step, when it tells me it can't find the AC1750, it says to login to the AC1750 Wi-Fi network and to go to Settings on my mobile device (in my case, a Pixel 3XL) and join the network to do so. I go to Wi-Fi Settings on my Pixel 3XL, and when I tap on Tap to Join Network, I am taken to http://www.routerlogin.net when the process grinds to a halt because Netgear can't find internet (while I'm staring at the Ethernet cable that is going from my MR1100 into the Internet port of my AC1750). And only the Power and Wi-Fi lights are on on the AC1750, so I have no doubt it's not seeing an internet connection. For the life of me, I don't know why not. I literally use that Ethernet cable and the MR1100 every day with my PS4 with no issues.

When I try to access the AC1750 by connecting the AC1750 by Ethernet cable from the LAN1 port of the AC1750 to the Ethernet port of my home computer (Win10, if that matters), I cannot login to the AC1750. I've tried routerlogin.com and routerlogin.net and even tried http://192.168.1.1 with the AC1750 connected to the PC by Ethernet cable through LAN1 port on the AC1750 to the Ethernet port on my PC and I cannot login because Netgear Genie appears, no matter which method I try and access the AC1750 (by going to 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com), and wants to connect to the internet. Every. Time. Which, of course, it can't because my PC is connected to a router (the AC1750) that isn't on the internet yet.

So, I tried the whole process all over again, this time connecting a second Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port of the MR1100 modem/router (with IP Passthrough on and DHCP off after doing a 2-minute power cycle) to the AC1750 Internet Ethernet port and connecting the AC1750 through LAN1 port on the AC1750 to the Ethernet port of the PC. This should provide the AC1750 with an internet connection to satisfy Netgear Genie. I went into settings on the PC and joined the Ethernet network. Same result - couldn't login because Netgear couldn't find an internet connection.

So, I tried the whole process all over again for a third time, this time connecting a second Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port of the MR1100 modem/router after having factory reset the MR1100 to its normal settings (with IP Passthorugh off and DHCP enabled and the network name and PW set to what I had set them to previously and a 2-minute power cycle) to the AC1750 Internet Ethernet port and connecting the AC1750 through LAN1 port on the AC1750 to the Ethernet port of the PC. This should provide the AC1750 with an internet connection to satisfy Netgear Genie. I went into settings on the PC and joined the Ethernet network. Same result - couldn't login because Netgear couldn't find an internet connection.

If it matters, I only get the Power light and Wi-Fi light to come on and be steady when I power on the AC1750 even with the Ethernet cable from the MR1100 into the Internet port of the AC1750. And both AC1750s I've had have done this. I can never get the Internet light to come on at all.

The issue must be me, because this is the second AC1750 in a row I've had this issue. But for the life of me, I cannot figure out which step I'm either doing wrong or omitting. Two AC1750 routers, same issue - I can never login to the AC1750 to complete setup. So, any ideas, I'm all ears. I just want Wi-Fi in my upstairs bedrooms. Is that so much to ask? 🙂

Message 11 of 16

I'm sorry, this is a very long saga that is hard to follow. However, I can see lots of places where you may be confusing things. This bits screams out:

@BillFromMD wrote:

.... Netgear will not let me login to the AC1750 for the first time without internet access. It just won't.

You do not need Internet access to set up a router. It should not try tio get you to the Internet. Remember routerlogin.net is not a website on the Internet.

You may have bit the nail on the head when you say

@BillFromMD wrote:

I’m obviously missing a step or getting something wrong, but I can’t figure out what it is.

Looking at the details of your description, there are various missteps in there.

Here is the simplest way to get into the thing.

• unplug router from anything and everything
  • reset it
  • disconnect PC from any modems
  • disconnect PC from any wifi
  • do not go anywhere near any apps or wifi
  • plug an ethernet cable from a PC into the R6350 (please stop calling it an AC1750)
  • you could turn off the PC at this stage although you shouldn't need to
  • turn on the router
  • turn on the PC (if you turned it off)
  • wait for the router's LEDs to stop flashing, especially the power LED
  • point a browser at routerlogin.net (that is not a website on the Internet)
  • you are now into the router's graphical user interface
  • this should take you to a setup wizard
  • kick it into touch (tell it to go away)
  • now follow the instructions to set it up as an access point

When you have done that, you are ready to add the AP to the modem. That too has to be done in the right order:

• Turn off and unplug modem/router.
  • Turn off access point and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem/router. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on access point and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

There are other ways of setting up a router as an access point, but this is the easiest and most reliable. I have done it many times.

Message 12 of 16
flash120
Aspirant

Definitely agree!!! I am at the same point. Having zero success with the APP and no luck trying to surf this site for help and the phone number is not available here I had to google it to try that.  SO frustrating.

Message 13 of 16
flash120
Aspirant

How does one connect to the 1750 without goijg through the 1100 when the laptop has no wifi or cable internet connection?

Message 14 of 16
antinode
Guru

> How does one connect to the 1750

"1750" is not a model number.  Look for "Model" on the product label.

> [...] without goijg through the 1100 when the laptop has no wifi or
> cable internet connection?

As explained above, you don't need an Internet connection to talk to
your own router.  All you need is a (wired or wireless) connection
between a computer/device with a web browser (like your (unspecified)
"the laptop") and your router.

You might consider trying the usual last resort:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.

Getting it to work with an MR1100 (which _is_ a model number) is
another question, of course.

Message 15 of 16

@flash120 wrote:

....the phone number is not available here I had to google it to try that. 

Never phone any number for Netgear that you find with Google. It is likely to be a scam.

There is no phone support. You do it via the support portal:

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Start here:

MyNETGEAR | Product Registration

Start a case and, with luck, they will contact you.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7