× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Can the MR5200 work without a data connection (i.e., data offloading only)?

YumeTsuretekita
Aspirant

Can the MR5200 work without a data connection (i.e., data offloading only)?

I'm looking into the Nighthawk MR5200, particularly because it seems to be one of the few products with both 5G and Wi-Fi 6.

However, I have a use case where sometimes I want to turn data off (perhaps I'm over my data cap, or don't want to pay for data for that particular trip). In those cases, I'd like to have a device that just off-loads onto another Wi-Fi network, such as a hotel Wi-Fi network. In other words, I want the MR5200 to connect to an existing Wi-Fi network for Internet, and then bridge that to its own Wi-Fi network to which my other devices will connect.

With that in mind, the two questions I have are:

1. Does the MR5200 support Wi-Fi offloading? The manual suggests that Ethernet offloading is supported, but doesn't go over whether Wi-Fi is also supported.
  2. When using offloading, is there a way to turn off 5G data entirely, so that the device only uses Wi-Fi for Internet?

Essentially, I'm looking for similar functionality to what is provided by the GL-iNet Beryl, except that that device does not have 5G functionality, nor does it support Wi-Fi 6, hence why I'd rather buy this product if it supports this use case.

Message 1 of 3
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Can the MR5200 work without a data connection (i.e., data offloading only)?

To answer your questions.

1. WiFi offloading is supported. 

2. When using WiFi offloading, you don't need to turn off data. The device will automatically handle the data connection switches between WIFI offloading and WWAN.

To be safe, you can also take out the SIM card when doing WiFi offloading.

Thanks

Message 2 of 3
YumeTsuretekita
Aspirant

Re: Can the MR5200 work without a data connection (i.e., data offloading only)?

Gotcha thanks for the explanation. Having to remove the SIM card isn't ideal but I suppose it can work out. I'll see what happens I guess.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7