× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Car charging or hot-wiring of Nighthawk MR1100

in2ndo
Apprentice

Car charging or hot-wiring of Nighthawk MR1100

Hi All.

Anyone knows what car charger I can use for the Nigthawk hotspot MR1100 or the set up to hard-wire it to the car so that is always on.

TIA.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 8
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

My Anker car chargers charge it just fine.  Get one with QC2 or QC3 if you can.  And a high quality (Anker) USB-C cable.

Message 2 of 8
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Message 3 of 8
n3t
Apprentice
Apprentice

Get one that supports QuickCharge 2.0 or 3.0 (QC 2.0 is sufficient, but 3.0 is downward compatible and therefore works, too) as the MR1100 takes 9V if available. It should be able to deliver 15 Watts or more (10 Watts might do, but some headroom is never a bad idea).

Message 4 of 8
in2ndo
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies.
Since the hotspot is going to be mostly in my truck. Providing WiFi access to a couple of dashcams 24 hours a day. I’m looking into this.
https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/
Hopefully someone here is familiar with it or the possible technical involvement running this set up.
I have asked blackvue. But since they make it specifically to power their dash cams. They won’t say either way to power something else.
The lower on this things can be adjusted and the main part. Is that it will shut off the current to the hotspot if the trucks battery is getting to low.
All opinions welcome.

Thanks again.
Message 5 of 8
n3t
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, according to the product information on the web page you linked to, the Power Magic Pro does not actually "power" the devices connected to it — it is just a programmable switch that is placed between the car battery and consumers which should be kept operating even after the engine is turned off, to protect against depleting the car battery to a degree where you wouldn't be able to start the engine from it anymore.

I.e. what you connect to the "back side" of the Power Magic Pro is still powered from the battery and with exactly the same voltage that the battery provides. So of course should you be able to connect a QuickCharge capable USB car charger there alongside the cameras.

Message 6 of 8
TechCure
Aspirant

You could take the battery out and plug it in to any usb car charger.....Then, keep the charged battery separate for outings

@in2ndo wrote:

Hi All.

Anyone knows what car charger I can use for the Nigthawk hotspot MR1100 or the set up to hard-wire it to the car so that is always on.

TIA.

Message 7 of 8
TechCure
Aspirant

You could take the battery out. Then, plug it into any usb car charger without a battery. It will work. Keep the charged battery seperate for use when not plugged in.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7