× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: DC112A AirCard Smart Cradle - Devices have issues re-connecting to WiFi

YouUseYourName
Follower

DC112A AirCard Smart Cradle - Devices have issues re-connecting to WiFi

I bought a Telstra WiFi 4GX Advanced III with an AirCard Smart Cradle back in January.

I have had no issues connecting to the 4GX Advanced III's WiFi itself, at all. I can disconnect it from the Smart Cradle and all WiFi devices (Television, desktop PC, laptops, phones) all connect to the Advanced III without an issue. I can turn it off, on again, whatever and the Advanced III works perfectly.

I have however, had countless issues connecting to the WiFi when using the Smart Cradle. My particular constant issue is this:

After countless issues connecting to the WiFi, I plugged the desktop and TV in via cable. These devices now have no issue connecting to the internet.

However I also have a smart phone. If I reboot the Cradle, the smart phone connects and has no problems. In fact all wireless devices connect and have no problems with WiFi whenever the Cradle is rebooted. However, if I leave home (go to work) then return (at lunch time or end of day) my phone struggles to reconnect to the Cradle's Wifi. If I choose settings -> WiFi on my Android phone, I can see the "Netgear 38" SSID but when I touch it to connect, it says "connecting..." and then doesn't.

I can forget network, re-enter the password and I get the same issue. The issue is NOT resolved until I reboot the cradle itself. I've tried setting a static IP in my phone connection settings for the Cradle WiFi Network and still had no luck (although it worked better for a time). I can reset the modem to factory settings and I still get the same issue.

I've disabled 5Ghz and only keep 2.4Ghz on, and no luck. I've tried messing with Fragmentation Length, CTS/RTS Threshold, Airtime Fairness, any and every option I can find and still had no luck. I've even dropped the 2.4 Ghz settings under Basic -> Wireless to "Up to 54 MBps" and still get the same issue.

What I find is that if I look under "Attached Devices" on the router, my phone is listed, however it does not have an IP address. Sometimes it doesn't even show the "Device Name", it will only show "---" for IP Address, Device Name and SSID, and will only have a MAC Address. This happens with all wireless devices that end up having trouble connecting to the WiFi.

Turning the cradle off and on again immediately resolves the issue, and Device Name, IP Address, SSID all show up as normal and the wireless device works normally...

Until my phone walks out of range again and tries to re-connect later. Or I turn the TV off and on again.

For some reason, all I can fathom is that the Cradle is not releasing IP addresses or assigning them correctly for the WiFi network. Is there a firmware update that resolves this issue? I'm running Firmware Version V1.0.0.30_1.0.60

Model: AirCard 810S (Telstra)|Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III,DC112A|AirCard Smart Cradle
Message 1 of 30
admiraltknew
Aspirant

Did you get this issue sorted?  My desktop PC wont connect over WiFi (doesn't get assigned an IP address), but my iPhone connects OK.

Message 2 of 30
DeyoSwed
Tutor

Yeah i got the same problem it is really innoying specially because this is bye far my most expensive router setup i have had til now!

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 3 of 30
Wombo24
Guide

@DeyoSwed wrote:

Yeah i got the same problem it is really innoying specially because this is bye far my most expensive router setup i have had til now!

I have the same issue here on a new DC112A, it will not issue an IP to one W7 laptop and the attampted wifi connection remains at "unidentified newtwork" & "No internet access". Factory resets & reboots have no effect.

The laptop has always been fine and otherwise continues to connect directly via wifi to the two AC810S and a AC790s along with a number of other devices with no problems whatsoever.

Direct connect cable works OK, it's clearly a wifi related problem.    

Very annoying

Message 4 of 30
JamesGL
Master

Hi Wombo24,

Is it the only device that will not grab an IP from the cradle?

What are the devices that works fine with the cradle?

Which Aircard unit connected to the cradle?

Message 5 of 30
Wombo24
Guide

Yes its one out of 4 laptops that isn't being issued with an IP. The other 3 other laptops (mix of W7 & W10) work OK as do a couple of Android phones.

I've tried 4 different Aircards in the cradle, 2 x AC810s & 2 x 790s. Same issue.

However the laptop having the issue will establish a wifi connection fine to everything else - all of the above aircards individually, as it will and has reliably for a long time to, numerous other Billion, ZTE, Netcomm & Netgear & Sierra vintage aircards we have here  - a total of around 15 devices that continue to work fine with it. It's only the DC112A that refuses to play. It the attached devices screen the DC112A regognises & lists the laptop MAC address but all the other fields have "-----" same as posts above.

If I connect it via ethernet to the DC112A it works OK.

Message 6 of 30
DeyoSwed
Tutor

For us we have 4 devices always connected a samsung s5, s6 and 2 brand new gaming laptops.

I run default config on cradle.

I can get all devices to connect to the 5ghz wifi and internet will work fine, but after a while connection stalls out for the mobil phones, the laptop however will still be connected to wifi and the internet.

When loggin to the cradle setup the phones show up in connected device list their just not reciving wifi on their end.

The fix has been for me to remove aircard 810s from cradle and plugg it back in or restart device, still very innoying.

Message 7 of 30
DeyoSwed
Tutor

For us we have 4 devices always connected a samsung s5, s6 and 2 brand new gaming laptops.
I run default config on cradle.
I can get all devices to connect to the 5ghz wifi and internet will work fine, but after a while connection stalls out for the mobil phones, the laptop however will still be connected to wifi and the internet.
When loggin to the cradle setup the phones show up in connected device list their just not reciving wifi on their end.

The fix has been for me to remove aircard 810s from cradle and plugg it back in or restart device, still very innoying.

Message 8 of 30
Wombo24
Guide

I now have another device - a HP Probook 4530s - that is unable to connect via WiFi to the DC112A. Same scenario as above, the laptop doesn't recieve an IP address and the DC112A records the MAC address but doesn't list an allocated IP address. Windows 10 remains in a state of "No Iternet Access". The Laptop connects fine to the Netgear aircards directly.

Message 9 of 30
Mustinok
Initiate

Betreff: DC112A AirCard Smart Cradle - Devices have issues re-connecting to WiFi

I have the same problem. After Coming back home, our 2 tablets and 3 (Apple) can‘t connect the wifi. Asks the password, after typing the password asks again the wifi password. I can only connect after I restart the cradle. I have enough to turn it off and on again. 

No new firmware update ?

Is there nobody here from Netgear to answer this questin ?

No ?

Message 10 of 30
Flankarooo
Initiate

Well i thought i was going crazy but i can see i am not the only one 

2 iphones and 2 ipads in the house all have the same issues 

iphone X , iphone 7 , and the latest ipads 

apple TV , PS4 ( both on wifi ) , and all ethernet connected devices never had a problem.

Tryed everything nothing works ...  

Message 11 of 30
Mustinok
Initiate

Betreff: DC112A AirCard Smart Cradle - Devices have issues re-connecting to WiFi

I have the solition. Don‘t buy NETGEAR anymore.

Message 12 of 30
Grant68
Guide

I also have a Telstra WiFi 4GX Advanced III with an AirCard Smart Cradle (DC112a) and also have problems with my android phone not reconnecting to the WiFi network if I go out of range and then come back into range.  More often than not it will not reconnect. 

If I choose settings -> WiFi on my Android phone, I can see the "Netgear 48" SSID but when I touch it to connect, it says "connecting..." and then doesn't.

I have had this problem with Sony Xperia Z5 and now with Samsung Galaxy S8 phone but does not seem to be a problem with Sony Xperia Z1 tablet (though don't take it out of range very often).

The only thing that seems to work is rebooting the DC112a cradle.

I have tried to set static IP on the mobile phone but does not seem to be reliable solution.

Firmware Version  V1.0.0.32_1.0.60

Android 7.0 on the phone

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Message 13 of 30
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Grant,

I am sorry you are having connectivity issues with your cradle. I wanted to confirm that the firmware for your Telstra WiFi 4GX Advanced III & DC112a is up to date with the current firmware version.

Also when the Telstra WiFi 4GX Advanced III is off the cradle. Does it resemble the same issue?

Please let me know :]

- Jason N

Message 14 of 30
Grant68
Guide

Hi Jason,

DC112a cradle has Firmware Version  V1.0.0.32_1.0.60 which is apparently the latest version (I just use the 'router update' option in Advanced, Administration tab and it comes back with the message that "No new firmware version available."

I only use the Telstra WiFi 4GX Advanced III (AirCard 810S) while it is in the cradle because I have no mobile network reception otherwise. When in the cradle it is connected to the MiMO antennnae on the building roof (this is why I have the cradle).  However I can remove the unit from the cradle and do some testing. I will get back to you on this.

By the way the firmware in the AirCard 810S unit is also the latest version according to the update routine....

Firmware Firmware Version: NTG9X40C_11.14.08.24

Firmware Build Date: 2017/06/09

Web App Version: AC810S-1TLAUS_03.03.102.25

Bootloader Version: NTG9X40C_11.14.08.24

Hardware Version: 1.0

TRU-Install: PHS_TELSTRA_B4059

Thanks

Message 15 of 30
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Grant68,

Thank you so much for the response and information. Please update me when you do further testing. :]

- Jason N

Message 16 of 30
Grant68
Guide

Hi Jason,

It appears only to be a problem with the WiFi on the DC112a cradle (I only use the 2GHz WiFi but am guessing the same problem with 5 GHz WiFi). 

When the Aircard 810s is out of the cradle my Android phone connects to the Aircard 810s WiFi OK and when I go out of range and then come back into range it reconnects to the Aircard 810s WiFi without any problems. 

Message 17 of 30
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Grant,

Have you tried doing a factory reset (the button on the back of the cradle) on the cradle? Press and hold the reset button for at least 10- 15 seconds.

- Jason N 

Message 18 of 30
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Grant68,

I just wanted to check in with you and see if your issue has been fixed.

- Jason N

Message 19 of 30
Grant68
Guide

Hi Jason,

The factory reset does not appear to have made any difference.

If I remember to disconnect the phone from the DC112a WiFi prior to going out of range (i.e. by turning off WiFi on the phone) then I can reconnect the phone OK when I come back into range and turn the phone's WiFi back on.  

This made me think it was an IP addressing lease expiry/conflict issue in the DC112a.  I have the phone set to a static IP and that didn't help.

Any other ideas to try?

Thanks Grant

Message 20 of 30
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Grant68,

Please contact the NETGEAR support line for further assistance on this issue.

Let me know if the support line fixes the issue so I can note it down for similar issues in the future. :]

- Jason N

Message 21 of 30
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Grant,

I just wanted to check in and see if your issue has been fixed.

Please let me know. :]

- Jason N

Message 22 of 30
Grant68
Guide

Hi Jason,

No solution so far.

Message 23 of 30
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Grant68,

Please update me when you have receive help with the NETGEAR support line.

Thank you :]

- Jason N

Message 24 of 30
marham
Initiate

Just posting to say I've got the same issue. Have to reboot cradle to get devices (iphone, tablet, computer) to re-connect after having been away for a while.

It's become an annoying routine everytime I get home.

DC112A V1.0
V1.0.0.32_1.0.60

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7