× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Devices are connected but no wifi (at least not always)

KCM88
Aspirant

Devices are connected but no wifi (at least not always)

I need a fix yesterday. My M1 is unlocked from Amazon. New. I use Google Fi data sim.

• I Updated firmware a few days ago.
  • Devices: HP ENVY (new) laptop (W10) and iPad 6 (IOS 13.3.1).  Android Phone latest software
  • I need this for teaching online from my car should my power go out.

I set up the M1 on my laptop a few days ago, added the APN, and updated the firmware.

I drove to a higher location where I would work and connected my iPad to the device via Wifi. It said 1 device connected and I ran a speedtest on my iPad. Awesome speeds.

Then I drove to another location 5 minutes away to try another speedtest BUT even though the M1 said it was connected and the iPad said it was connected, There was no internet. I connected my phone and then the M1 said 2 devices connected and my phone said it was connected. No internet on the phone either. I powered off both devices, turned the M1 on, then the ipad again. No difference=no wifi. I powered everything off. I tried again about 10 minutes later. No wifi. Never did connect again that day

So I researched and saw something about turning off standby. There was no option for that but I changed it from 5 to 60 minutes.

Next day I am in my car again and power on the M1. Then I power on the iPad and do a screentest. Awesome. wifi works. I drive to another location 5 minutes away and  the same problem happens all over again, no wifi. I NEED this to be reliable.

I saw in a forum somthing about the 2G vs 5G and which one do I have set? I have them both set to switch. I am signing into the 2G with the ipad.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Devices are connected but no wifi (at least not always)

From reading on google's fi forum, several users have it working. maybe they're in an area where it doesn't switch as much. I'd consult on the google fi forum for additional setting changes that might help prevent the roaming. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If the phone and ipad are connected its not an issue with wifi. Its an issue with cellular coverage. They are 2 seperate chips/technologies from wifi to cellular. 

You could have all the bars on the wifi side but if you're cellular connection is bad, its not going to work. 

So you have these 2 technologies.

1. Cellular. The hotspot has to connect back to the ISP and have a good connection  MR1100-------google fi connection

2. Wifi. This is the connection between the hotspot and your phone/ipad. 

From what you're saying, the connection between the devices and the hotspot is fine. Your problem is the connection between the hotspot and google fi. 

Message 2 of 6
KCM88
Aspirant

Ok, possibly. I see a lot of posts here with the same problem using ATT and other carriers since the last firmware update. I'll keep looking... I

@plemans wrote:

If the phone and ipad are connected its not an issue with wifi. Its an issue with cellular coverage. They are 2 seperate chips/technologies from wifi to cellular. 

You could have all the bars on the wifi side but if you're cellular connection is bad, its not going to work. 

So you have these 2 technologies.

1. Cellular. The hotspot has to connect back to the ISP and have a good connection  MR1100-------google fi connection

2. Wifi. This is the connection between the hotspot and your phone/ipad. 

From what you're saying, the connection between the devices and the hotspot is fine. Your problem is the connection between the hotspot and google fi. 

wondered if the Google fi switching from T mobile to Sprint to US cellular--- or the M1 2Ghz 5 Ghz switching affects this.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@KCM88 wrote:

Ok, possibly. I see a lot of posts here with the same problem using ATT and other carriers since the last firmware update. I'll keep looking... I

wondered if the Google fi switching from T mobile to Sprint to US cellular--- or the M1 2Ghz 5 Ghz switching affects this.

It could be the google fi switching from t-mobile to sprint causing the issues. I know if you're phone isn't designed for it, there can be issues. Google FI only certifies certain devices but does say "others will work".  I know when my brother first joined google fi, his phone was "sticky" in that it wouldn't swap easily from tmobile to sprint even if tmobile had bad coverage. he'd have toggle airplane mode and when it reconnected, it'd connect to the stronger signal. Not sure how that'd work with the M1 as its a hotspot and not a phone.

Its not going to be the M1 switching from 2.4ghz to 5ghz. Its dual band. And its a seperate chip/function from the cellular connection. If the phone/tablet are connected to the M1 fine, its not an issue of the wifi. 

Just like a phone, the hotspot might work better in some locations than others because of cellular coverage. 

Message 4 of 6
KCM88
Aspirant

Google Fi says you cannot use the M1 with them. It's not clear on their website. If there is a workaround—or something changes—somebody let me know.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

From reading on google's fi forum, several users have it working. maybe they're in an area where it doesn't switch as much. I'd consult on the google fi forum for additional setting changes that might help prevent the roaming. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7