× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Disconnecting issues

ivankhoury
Aspirant

Disconnecting issues

I've had this problem for quite a while with this new router firmware... the router will randomly disconnect certain connections (like my game and whatsapp) for like 10-20 seconds (but the rest of the network works perfectly fine) and then reconnect, after a few minutes before repeating the same cycle. This issue never happened with other routers I've had or with this router with an older firmware, so I am 100% certain it's the firmware causing this.

Maybe it's connection timeouts? QoS? I don't know, that's why I am asking if there's anything I can do in the router settings that might solve these random disconnects. I tried rolling back the software but it doesn't allow me to rollback.

My router is VEGN2610 - https://www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/telco/gateways/vegn2610.aspx

The previous firmware was 1.0.0.27, and the new problematic one is 1.0.0.35:

http://prntscr.com/fcox2e/direct

http://prntscr.com/fcox80/direct

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

The firmware has to match the hardware of the modem/router (gateway) any third party firmware that controls the modems settings and allows it to work with your isp has to be support by them. Not a easy thing to find .

If you are lucky you may be able to the modem/router reflashed to a older version at a cost by netgear never heard of this before but the worst they can say is no.

You have two of them so the unit to sent them is no problem if they will do it good luck with question to them.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
William10a
Master

Have you tried the older firmware to see  if the problem goes away?

Message 2 of 11
ivankhoury
Aspirant

Yes, I've had the same router but with an older firmware and it had no issues, the moment my ISP updated it for me the same issues came back. I'm now stuck with the same router which I cannot rollback.

Message 3 of 11
William10a
Master

Can your isp back flash the the unit to the older version that worked as their version of the firmware does not work for you?

I understand they want to keep the modems on their network the same firmware but there seems to be a issue when ot comes to your service and the older version worked.

Message 4 of 11
ivankhoury
Aspirant

My ISP flash firmware by connecting to my router, just like I connect to 10.0.0.138. I can't rollback because the Software Update feature is designed to only update and not rollback, so my ISP cannot do it. I've asked them before as well.

Maybe the issue can be solved by changing something in the router settings or adding a rule? It could also be a feature or default setting changed with the update, right?

Message 5 of 11
William10a
Master

Another way would be to bridge the modem/router and place a new router as your main router. The modem's/router would out of the picture if it is a router problem may not be the answer your looking but since you can manual flash back yo the older firmware to fix your problem.

Message 6 of 11
ivankhoury
Aspirant

I'm not sure I understand.

Message 7 of 11
William10a
Master

If it is the routers firmware you may be able just the gate's modem and bypass the router function  to allow a normal router to replace modem/router's router.

If you able to update the firmware you should be able to downgrade the firmware as well if you can download a copy the old firmware. 

Message 8 of 11
ivankhoury
Aspirant

I cannot downgrade it.

http://prntscr.com/fdt0xt/direct

Message 9 of 11
ivankhoury
Aspirant

I was wondering, can I install a different firmware from Netgear on my router? Firmware meant for another router, or a universal firmware?

Message 10 of 11
William10a
Master

The firmware has to match the hardware of the modem/router (gateway) any third party firmware that controls the modems settings and allows it to work with your isp has to be support by them. Not a easy thing to find .

If you are lucky you may be able to the modem/router reflashed to a older version at a cost by netgear never heard of this before but the worst they can say is no.

You have two of them so the unit to sent them is no problem if they will do it good luck with question to them.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7