× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Does Bridge or IP passthrough work with MR1100 or LB1120 when using AT&T

N4KHQ
Aspirant

Does Bridge or IP passthrough work with MR1100 or LB1120 when using AT&T

I have been reading the posts about bridge mode for several days and can't find the answer to my question. Does either the MR1100 or LB1120 work in bridge mode when AT&T is the carrier? Some say you have to change the APN. Others say there was a firmware bug in the LB1120 that Netgear fixed with an update. Others say you have to pay AT&T for a special SIM card. This is just a home network with web cameras, computers, iPads, iPhones. I don't need a public IP for anything I'm running. I have two MR1100 wifi hotspot modems  I have been trying to get to work in bridge mode for a year. Once I put it in bridge mode the MR1100 looses the AT&T connection, light never turns blue on MR1100. Is the LB1120 any different form the MR1100 when it comes to bridge mode and AT&T?

Model: LB1120|4G LTE Modem, MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 4
LlamaLarry
Luminary

Re: Does Bridge or IP passthrough work with MR1100 or LB1120 when using AT&T

I use both an LB1120 and an LB2120 in Bridge mode with AT&T (USA).  I still end up Double NAT'd because of AT&T's Carrier Grade NAT on their mobile plans, but I game, stream, work fine.

Message 2 of 4
N4KHQ
Aspirant

It works on the Nighthawk fine, problem is AT&T won't give the router a public IP number the router can use. It looks like AT&T is using class A IP numbers for the connection. I put my linksys Wifi router in Bridge Mode to solve the double NAT. They say there is a 20 or 22 IP limit but it has never been a problem for me. However, Double NATing is not the problem it used to be, you may find it is not a problem, either net connections works in bridge or regular mode. I think most modern routers must be doing some correction for double NATing these days. Maybe someone can tell us if the do.

Just read the previous reply and I think I understand. AT&T is sending NAT IP address from their site as opposed to the MR1100 giving local IP address. Is this correct.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 3 of 4
LlamaLarry
Luminary

I think that is correct.  whatismyip reports a normal public IP (107.77.x.x), but the IP being reported to my router from my bridged LB1120/LB2120 is 10.x.x.x network (NAT 1), then my router hands out 192.168.1.x (NAT 2). I've never tried trying to set my router IP address and range to something in the network coming from the modem.  I imagine it changes often which might be an issue.

I am definitely not a mobile metworking guy, just some dude trying to make it work in a rural area with no wired broadband.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7