× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Does the MR1100 Support an external WAP over Ethernet port

squarefeet
Aspirant

Does the MR1100 Support an external WAP over Ethernet port

I'd like to connect an external, higher quality, Wireless Access Point, to the MR1100.  I will have the new WAP not provide any routing or DHCP services, only wireless access and to a different SID than the MR1100.  Is this possible?  What settings do I need to set to allow the Ethernet port to be active, but not have all of the data sent to it, rather than LTE?

Reaon is that the wifi range on the MR1100 is very limited.  I have a spare Ubiquiti WAP that can cover a much larger area. 

Thx!

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
icaruspony
Luminary

Re: Does the MR1100 Support an external WAP over Ethernet port

On the MR1100:

1. Disable Ethernet Standby (so ethernet port does not fall asleep ever)

2. Disable Wifi (saves power, generates less heat, creates no competitive interference for your WAP, and if you are using an AT&T hotspot, you may benefit from LAA speed boost)

3. Leave DHCP server on

4. Disable IP Passthrough

Local subnet data will not travel across LTE.  Only data being sent outside your subnet (to the internet) will travel across LTE.  This is what a networking subnet domain is designed to do.

I would throw a gigabit ethernet switch between the MR1100 and the Ubiquiti, just so you can have additional LAN ports.  If you get a gigabit ethernet switch with Power over Ethernet (PoE) and if your Ubiquiti supports PoE, you can save the extra power outlet.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
icaruspony
Luminary

On the MR1100:

1. Disable Ethernet Standby (so ethernet port does not fall asleep ever)

2. Disable Wifi (saves power, generates less heat, creates no competitive interference for your WAP, and if you are using an AT&T hotspot, you may benefit from LAA speed boost)

3. Leave DHCP server on

4. Disable IP Passthrough

Local subnet data will not travel across LTE.  Only data being sent outside your subnet (to the internet) will travel across LTE.  This is what a networking subnet domain is designed to do.

I would throw a gigabit ethernet switch between the MR1100 and the Ubiquiti, just so you can have additional LAN ports.  If you get a gigabit ethernet switch with Power over Ethernet (PoE) and if your Ubiquiti supports PoE, you can save the extra power outlet.

Message 2 of 3
squarefeet
Aspirant

Thanks for the great response!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements