× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Enabling n41 on MR5200-100EUS

Krzysiek
Tutor

Enabling n41 on MR5200-100EUS

Hello,

I've bought MR5200-100EUS, but it turns out there's a difference betwen 100EUS and normal version in terms of n41 support. 100EUS lacks it, but normal does have it (but doesn't have n38). n41 band in required by my MNO -- Plus (a Polish operator) for 5G to work. Do you know it there's a way to enable it my model? Is it a hardware or firmware issue? If the latter, do you know if there's an firmware upgrade adding support of new bands possible in the future?

Regards,
Krzysztof

Message 1 of 12
W1lliam
Virtuoso

Both MR5100C-1BNCNS and MR5200-100NAS has n38/n41 supported, you can't now force to pick up non-supported band(s) from AT commands as the FW is filtering it out

Message 2 of 12
Krzysiek
Tutor

Thank you for the explanation. Well, now the weird thing is that European version of the model is filtering out the band required by European mobile network operators. It doesn't make sense to me. 

Message 3 of 12
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Krzysiek wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. Well, now the weird thing is that European version of the model is filtering out the band required by European mobile network operators. It doesn't make sense to me. 

Could you please specify which carriers require n41 in EU countries now?

Thanks

Message 4 of 12
Krzysiek
Tutor

It is Plus (Poland) (MCC 260 / MNC 01). Well, I know only this one, which, unfortunately (for someone who bought 100EUS version), is my MNO 😕

First, I thought they didn't activate 5G for my subscription, then the issue was explained: currently, they provide it only on band n41. There are plans to start offering "true" 5G on 3.*GHz frequencies someday, but it is nowhere near close future (regulatory issues).

Message 5 of 12
Krzysiek
Tutor

Fun fact: when I was looking for a moblie 5G router I couldn't find anything used or discounted. Right now I see a lot of Nighthawk M5 routers being sold on auction portals (e.g. allegro.pl, the most popular one in Poland) for half a retail price. And now I think I know the reason.

Message 6 of 12
Krzysiek
Tutor

@JohnPeng I found a list enumerating bands used by operators in ITU region
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_network_codes_in_ITU_region_2xx_(Europe)#Poland_%E2%80%93_PL
Assuming this list is up-to-date, Plus is the only operator using TD-5G 2500 in this region.

Do you think I can conut on adding this band to the firmware in a future update? Or it won't be worth for Netgear to add it just for one operator? In that case it it possible to change the firmware for US version? (I can see only EU version of Nighthawk M5 in online stores in Poland.) Or request for replacing the EU model for the US one, which supports n41?

Message 7 of 12
Transfluxor
Apprentice

Krzysiek, do not even hope, Netgear never adds bands, they have a clear division of the market by region. I myself am looking towards another 5G manufacturer - Zyxel or D-Link.

Message 8 of 12
Krzysiek
Tutor

@Transfluxor wrote:

they have a clear division of the market by region.

I understand that, but I'd expect that a regionalized version of a modem would support bands used in a given region.

Message 9 of 12
yellowtao
Aspirant

Not only in Poland, but also in China, the n41 band is needed. China Mobile's 5g in China is in the n41 band. My m5 can't use 5g. Mine is also 100-eus. I hope that Netgear can upgrade the firmware to support the n41 band.
Message 10 of 12
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Krzysiek wrote:

@JohnPeng I found a list enumerating bands used by operators in ITU region
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_network_codes_in_ITU_region_2xx_(Europe)#Poland_%E2%80%93_PL
Assuming this list is up-to-date, Plus is the only operator using TD-5G 2500 in this region.

Do you think I can conut on adding this band to the firmware in a future update? Or it won't be worth for Netgear to add it just for one operator? In that case it it possible to change the firmware for US version? (I can see only EU version of Nighthawk M5 in online stores in Poland.) Or request for replacing the EU model for the US one, which supports n41?

Unfortuately, it is impossible to enable n41 on EUS M5 since it requires HW changes, not just a FW update. EUS and NAS M5 have different HW and FW can be changed. Please contact our support to find out how to replace your device with NAS M5.

Thanks

Message 11 of 12
yellowtao
Aspirant

How to contact your technical support, do you mean I can change my M5-EUS to M5-NAS for free?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7