× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Ethernet Data Offloading ... how do you get it to work?

bik3rd00d
Tutor

Ethernet Data Offloading ... how do you get it to work?

Configuration:

- brand spanky new hotspot with latest and greatest firmware downloaded on it

- using my iMac to connect to and manage the wifi hotspot via 192.168.1.1

- netgear R6400 home router, plugged into cable modem

My steps:

(1) I plugged the wifi hotspot into my home router.  then enabled data offloading via ethernet.  my wifi connection between iMac and Hotspot dies.  I mean DEAD.  So I go look and see a big red screen on hotspot ... dup IP addr.   Ok ... my R6400 uses the same admin IP addr.   Figured out this problem but it seems to me it would have been possible to catch and complain without killing the wifi connection between hotspot and admin genie app running on the iMac.  Um ... error recovery? Unplug - reboot - reconnect - login.   If I were in Netgear test, I'd add this scenario to the test bucket.  Crazy.

(2) So, I plugged the ethernet cable directly from cable modem into my hotspot.  A glance at the manual says that I must have only the 2G wifi profile enabled.  It also says I should manually reboot the hotspot but the hotspot seems to be doing this all by itself.  Hmm.  Ok ... so I am  plugged directly into cable modem with only the 2G network up.  I then connect with my iMac over the 2G network and the hotspot genie app says that (1) data offloading is working and (2) ethernet is not connected.  This sounds like a definite maybe to me but nope it doesn't seem to be doing data offloading.

So, I've not been able to get this feature working whatsoever and I'd really like to use it.  Can anyone see something I missed?

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 13
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Re: Ethernet Data Offloading ... how do you get it to work?

Hi @bik3rd00d,

I'm not sure why you would want to use this feature in your home.  The way Ethernet offload should work would be that the hotspot would continue to act as a router (in the same way that your home router does).  That is to say the hotspot would strattle and provide firewalling and routing between two separate networks.

For Ethernet offloading, be sure IP Passthrough is disabled.  The Ethernet port should lease an IP address from the DHCP server on your home or hotel LAN for example.  So there should be no IP conflict here.  Normally in a hotel, the hotel network would not be 192.168.1.x.  The Hotspot will continue to braodcast its own Wifi network (on both bands) with DHCP servervices for the hotspot's local network (192.168.1.x by default) and will route the traffic from the hotspot network (think LAN) to the offload network (think WAN).

The manual could be better with its description of "Wifi tethering" and USB tethering. (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/MR1100/MR1100_UM_EN.pdf)  It seems you can only use 2.4GHz Wifi when using Wifi tethering (aka the hotspot wifi acts as a client on the offload wifi network).

But back to my original question.   Why would you want to use this at home when you already have a cable modem and router (presumably with Wifi)?

-Jonathan

Message 2 of 13
bik3rd00d
Tutor

Gosh, whatever did I say that would lead you off?  Nevermind.   I do NOT wish to use data offloading in my home.   However, I did give as much configuration information as I thought would help someone answer my question ... how do I get this feature working.  From the manual, I though that it should simply work.  It doesn't.

So now ... why in my home?  I bought the wifi hotspot for personal use and it arrived at my house.  And so this is where I am testing it before I actually need it out on the road and have difficulties and less information available.  In my home, I know all the equipment and passwords that lurk behind the ethernet port. At least, I own the cable modem and router.  It seems like a reasonable venue for testing.

I'll look at IP forwarding but when plugged into the cable modem the hotspot is both access pt and router.  So, not sure why i'd disable IP forwarding.  Yup, I am going to try it.  Just doesn't sound right.

Message 3 of 13
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi @bik3rd00d,

Sorry, no offense intended.  Your statement:

"netgear R6400 home router, plugged into cable modem
(1) I plugged the wifi hotspot into my home router."

Is what threw me off.  Yes, testing at home does of course make sense.  But can potentially cause issues too such as the IP conflict.

I was confusing two different settings.  Do not change Port Forwarding, but due be sure that IP- Passthrough is NOT enabled (see pages 53 and 54 of manual).  

It's still probably a good idea to change the base IP of the hotspot to something different than your home network.  But keep in mind this will likely chaneg the IP address of the admin web page as well.

-Jonathan

Message 4 of 13
bik3rd00d
Tutor

I double checked my settings and everything is configured properly.  I am also on the latest firmware for the device.

Observations:

- When I plug in the ethernet cable I see the connected device count increment  by 1.

- When I unplug the ethernet cable I see the connected device count decrement by 1.

- Dashboard shows (1) ethernet data offloading configured  (2) no ethernet connection

So, from my perspective either this feature simply doesn't work or I've got a defective unit.  I really don't see any other choices.  And I've yet to see anyone reply to this thread claiming that they have it working.  PnP is working as evidence from the device connected count on the device.  Not sure why ethernet would count as a device though.  Doesn't seem correct.  It should instead be counted as a network interface, not a device connected via wifi.

Does anyone know if the device logs anything ... e.g. var/log/... that could be inspected perhaps? 

Message 5 of 13
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi @bik3rd00d,

I was able to get my Ethernet offloading to work at home.  I had a similar IP address conflict as you did.  But after I changed the IP address of the MR1100, and the DHCP range of the MR1100, all is working well.  See attached screen shots -- hmmm -- haven't figured out how to upload more than one picture

Follow this proceedure:

1) connect to the web admin page on the MR1100 using Chrome (192.168.1.1)

2) Change the IP address and DHCP ranges to 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.10 to .99 for example.  This will trigger a reboot.

3) connect to the web admin page on the MR1100 using Chrome (192.168.0.1)

4) disable Ethernet timeout

5) enable Ethernet offload

6) run Ethernet cable from the MR1100 to the LAN side of your existing home router or switch.  Or the network jack in a hotel

7) IP Passthrough should be "off".  DNS "auto", "use mobile router as DHCP server = checked".Under Tethering I have "Charge Only" and "Turn off Wifi when tethering = unchecked"

7) the MR1100 will display on the LCD -- a wifi and Ethernet icon.  "No usage on data plan" Offloaded to Ethernet

Disable ethernet timeout 

Message 6 of 13
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

config screen shot 1

Message 7 of 13
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

config screen shot 2

Message 8 of 13
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

config screen shot 3

Message 9 of 13
bik3rd00d
Tutor

Big thanks.   I'll try your suggestions tomorrow.   I can't dig out the home router at the moment.  I'll try to figure out a sequence that might allow me to pin point the faulty configuration piece.

Message 10 of 13
bik3rd00d
Tutor

Its working!  All I did was change the device's IP addr and DHCP range.  This would be a good addition to the MR1100 manual. 

Big thanks!

Message 11 of 13
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Awesome!  My pleasure. 

One thing to keep an eye out for going forward.  Another user has reported that since the MR1100 firmware update, the captive portal he uses at some hotel seems to be reporting/suggesting that the MAC address of the MR1100 keep changing.  As a result, every day or so (not sure how often) he needs to re-sign in to the hotel's captive portal and re-authorize the device to continue to offload through the hotel's Ethernet network.

I'm not sure if this is a hotel/portal specific thing or what.  It seems unliklely that the MAC would actually be changing.  More likely the port is going to sleep or just not passing data and so the portal session is timing out?  No idea, just a guess.

I'm not sure if I'll ever use the offloading feature.  Many of the hotels I go to seem to only have Wifi these days.  It's usually slow and unreliable (2.4GHz only) so I tend to use cellular either from my phone or a dedicated hotspot.

I'd probably be much more likely to use the Ethernet to backup my home network in the event that my FIOS went down.  Though given that it worked through hurricane Sandy (despite the fact that I lost power for 10 days) this need seems rather unlikely as well.

Unfortunately since the Wifi range on the MR1100 is rather short, disabling the onboard wifi and connecting a dedicated wireless accesspoint via Ethernet seems alot more likely.  2.4GHz range seems ok on the long setting, but the 5GHz doesn't even cover half of my modestly sized drywall construction house.  Realistically, I get adequate coverage over a 20ft x 20ft area (two floors).  For good speads (>100Mbit) I need to be within 10 feet or so.

-Jonathan

Message 12 of 13
bik3rd00d
Tutor

Well my hotspot will go in my truck and used on trips.  Don't have a need for it in my house.  I have some wifi only tablets and I'd like to explore using them on fishing trips ... navigation and such ... not lures.  Next on my list is to look at antennas for improving cellular data speed/reception.  Yeah, who knows where or how I'll be using it but most definitely not in the house where my home router kicks butt. 

I like the idea of splitting apart components ... switch, router, access.  Thought about this when my last home router bought the farm and kept rebooting. 

Thanks again!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7