× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Expected Speed using MR1100 as LTE Modem?

EMH
Tutor
Tutor

Expected Speed using MR1100 as LTE Modem?

Hello,

I'm trying to help some friends that live in a rural area and are paying $$$ for slow/low bandwidth internet service. Considering recommending using the MR1100 set as LTE modem with a Netgear WiFi router. AT&T cellular signal is about 2-3 bars in most areas of their house and data DL speed is about 50 Mbps (versus their ISP DL speeds of about 7 Mbps). Can someone confirm for me if they might expect to realize similar DL speeds on wifi throughout their house with this setup? Any and all feedback or suggestions to make this work (or other suggested solutions) would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Expected Speed using MR1100 as LTE Modem?

Your setup should work. 

1. Connect an ethernet cable from M1 ethernet port to Netgear WiFi router Internet port.

2. Turn off the WiFi on M1 and use the WiFi on the Netgear WiFi Router.

3. Better operate the M1 without battery, but you need to use 2amp QC charger in this case

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
PapaSnarf
Guide

The results vary trough area,state and bandwith in the tower and congestion. Example i live in a rural area and i get speeds of 150Mpbs+ my tower is never congested and i don't abuse it either.  However if i switch diffrent bands i go as slow as 30Mbps on the worst day. Its worth trying out and a restocking fee just dont abuse it and hit the 1% of people who do it because it will mess it up for the rest. Also i know about the trick your talking about AT&T, the number 1 rule is to never talk about it with others and never ever ever ever, go to a store and ask about it lol. Check for T-mobile they do offer home internet with no Data caps if the signal is better in your area. I have a few friends who recently singned up with T-mobile internet and they are hitting speeds of 80+Mbps low pings and have no data caps. 

Message 2 of 5
EMH
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, Papsnarf.

Appreciate the response and the information. I was basically wondering if there would be any loss of DL speed when the hot spot signal was broadcast via a wifi router in the house. 

I'm sorry, but I am not sure I understand the caution about abuse and hitting the 1%. Could you please clarify? I thought using hotspots in rural areas without/ or with poor ISP service was not that uncommon? Also, I don't want to mess anything up but I am not sure how this approach would, so if you could help me understand that, I'd be grateful. (Anticipated bandwidth use would be small; streaming is not among their needs.)

I did check to see if T-mobile was available in their area before I started contemplating this approach (as it would have bee a fairly simple solution). Alas, they do not offer service in their zip code. 

Again, I appreciate the info and reply!

Cheers

Message 3 of 5
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Your setup should work. 

1. Connect an ethernet cable from M1 ethernet port to Netgear WiFi router Internet port.

2. Turn off the WiFi on M1 and use the WiFi on the Netgear WiFi Router.

3. Better operate the M1 without battery, but you need to use 2amp QC charger in this case

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
EMH
Tutor
Tutor

John, 

Sorry for the delay in this response. For some reason I was not notified of another response (or it disappeared through user error). Anyway, I do appreciate it. I think my firends have decided to give this a try. Any further or new information/advice you could provide would also be appreciated.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7