× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

General question about rural internet

azaudi
Follower

General question about rural internet

I am new to the 4G internet thing.  I have watched a number of videos talking about using different routers to setup the internet off of cell towers.  Many of them talk about getting 60 Mbps to 80 Mbps download with using ONLY a router (no external antenna on the roof)   To realistically get such speeds...60 Mbps to 80 Mbps download...and using ONLY a good router...does the cell tower have to be literally in view and within a mile or so?   I am in rural southeast Arizona.  The tower my phone is now getting a signal from is  2 1/2 to 3  miles from me.  The tower is located on low rolling hills and about 2 miles of flat land between me and the low hills.  I can not actually see the tower.

Trying to determine whether it is realistic to pursue getting something north of 50 Mbps download with my conditions?

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: General question about rural internet

Test it with your phone. If you can get 50mbps off your phone at the spot the router will be, you stand a decent chance of getting that with a 4g router. Otherwise we can't tell you what speeds you're going to get because so many things impact it. 

Message 2 of 3
djt2020
Guide

Re: General question about rural internet

I would say no you won't get those speeds with no antennas and the router indoors. I get 40 Mbps average with an MR1100 Nighthawk and directional antennas pointed at the tower which is visible from 1.5 miles away. With good antenna and a good router you may get 20, but that's all a guess. Trees are a real hinderance to a good signal. I cleared some to get mine working better. As for the hills if the tower isn't to far below the hills it may work okay. The signal does work around obsticles to some degree. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7