× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Guest Network on MR1100 (Nighthawk M1)

dwinters
Guide

Guest Network on MR1100 (Nighthawk M1)

Hey there, 

I have recently purchased the Nighthawk M1 MR1100 from Amazon US. 

Based on your official Netgear US feature factsheet, it is clearly stated that the Guest Access feature is available. 

But as it turns out, it was not the case -- there is simply no such feature selectable in both the WebUI and Netgear Mobile App 

I have followed some instructions to reset the device back to factory settings, and updated to the latest firmware, but I do not see any options for the Guest Access or Guest Network setup. 

I would like to clarify that my device is not carrier issued (e.g. AT&T) or neither is it locked. 

This feature is critical for my setup in my office, and I am very perplexed why this feature is not available on my device and for some other users on this forum -- this is not a feature request, but it is a feature listed on your website

Any clarification from Netgear will be appreciated. Thank you!

Current firmware: NTG9X50C_12.05.05.00

GUI Version: MR1100-100NAS_04.01.72.00

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 12
55Charly55
Aspirant

Betreff: Guest Network on MR1100 (Nighthawk M1)

Hey there too,

In brief, the two networks are the 2,4 Ghz and the 5 Ghz. You can use them at the same time (as one; with same names and same password(s)). Or separate them with different names. eg; 'guest' and 'private' with each a different password (eg; 'welcome' and 'secure').

Futher you can decide under menu>devices> if you want to 'allow' or 'block' a certain MAC adres. In here you can allow all your own devices, and block  devices or unwanted guests to your mobile router.

I hope this anwser helps out your problem.

55charly55

Message 2 of 12
dwinters
Guide

Many thanks for that idea!

However, the main reason why many of us needs a Guest Network is because even with a separate SSID, both are still connecting to the same network.

What this means is that your guests will have access to ALL your local devices and services (e.g. your NAS or security cameras), and also the Web Admin UI for your router.

This a pretty standard feature for almost all home and mobile routers.

In fact, this feature is already embedded in this router’s firmware, but it is not displayed / activated by Netgear.

I would also further clarify that this feature is listed in the factsheet on the Netgear US website for this model.

Message 3 of 12
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @dwinters ,

Guest network is not a feature of the MR1100 as far as I am aware.  I double checked the AT&T datasheet as cannot see any mention of guest network feature.  Please refer to https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/mobile/AT&T_MR1100_2A1NAS.pdf

Can you please let me know what website you saw mention of guest support so we can update with correct information?

Regards,

Arodi

Community Team

Message 4 of 12
dwinters
Guide

Hey Arodi,

Thanks for your reply. There are 4 sources I’m looking at — I’m quite sure that feature is available.

[1] Here is the Netgear US website
https://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/mobilerouters/MR1100.aspx#tab-features

“Guest Access”

[2] AT&T website on settings up Wi-Fi for MR1100
https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/stepbystep/id/stepbystep_KM1318010?make=Netgear&...

[3] Official YouTube video on setting up on MR1100
https://youtu.be/4lIpaJJ6lD8

[4] Overview of the settings page of MR1100 [4:07]
https://youtu.be/y1BDi0QgP9g

The main reason why I bought this router is to test it before I buy another 9 for use in other business offices.

It looks the feature was deactivated on some variants of the MR1100, together with Client Privacy (AP isolation).

Really looking forward for Netgear to release a firmware update to rectify this.
Message 5 of 12
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @dwinters ,

Thanks for the links.  I am checking with the US team.  I assume those links are from a previous version of firmware.  I know with the AU variant we never enabled guest access.  The link for the datasheet provided previously is the latest.

Regards,

Arodi

Message 6 of 12
dwinters
Guide

Hey Arodi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I’m currently using the retail US variant from Amazon US.

I can certainly understand that some features such as LAA are not available for some regions due to regulatory restrictions.
However, Guest Network and AP isolation should not be subjected to such restrictions.

Both features are pretty much a standard in home and commercial routers (including Mobile Hotspots).

What I’m really concerned is that this feature is already baked into this device and firmware, but deliberately turned off for some variants, even though it is advertised that this feature is available before sale.
Message 7 of 12
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @dwinters ,

The US team have confirmed that the AT&T variant has guest access enabled.  We are now checking why it was not enabled on the US retail variants.  Will get back to you soon.

Regards,

Arodi

Community Team

Message 8 of 12
dwinters
Guide

Hi, 

I'm updating this post to clarify that no resolution has been provided by Netgear since the last conversation around 6 months ago.

This is despite advertising and marketing the MR1100 that it supports support Guest Access ( AP Isolation / Guest WiFi ). 

No one has reached out from the engineering team to clarify, despite being advised via Private Message from @ArodiD that they are looking into it. 

Message 9 of 12
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Guest Network on MR1100 (Nighthawk M1)

Hi @dwinters

Let me check this with the team. 

May I please know the current firmware? Is it still on NTG9X50C_12.05.05.00? 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 10 of 12
federic0
Aspirant

Hello everyone,

it looks like only the MR1100 AT&T firmware supports Guest Access ( AP Isolation / Guest WiFi ).

Hoping NETGEAR firmware team can add this feature on the next MR1100-retail firmware update 🙂

BTW this mobile router is awsome (with the guest access it will be even better 😉

All the best

federic0

Message 11 of 12
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for everyone's posting and comments.

Yes. Guest WiFI and AP isolation feature were only enabled on AT&T SKU. We will investigate and see whether we can enable the features in the coming update.

Regards

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7