× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home Network Upgrade - 10G In Home - 1G ISP Connection

jtclaw0804
Aspirant

Home Network Upgrade - 10G In Home - 1G ISP Connection

To start with I am about 2 months into reading up on networking.  I basically know nothing about the correct ways to setup and ideal home network, let alone expand into business level with sec (using a laptop currently).  Many problems with existing network starting with NO type of NAS, or primary server/operating station designation for our home. The positive is that i have APC UPS on all electrical components to help mitigate electronics device failures.

My home has 3 levels.  Our bedroom and guest space upstairs, typical living space and wife's office on the main floor, and my office and TV in the basement.

My existing home network consist of:

• Xfinity ISP with 1G Speed
  • Technicolor CGM4140COM (Rented modem/router from Xfinity)
    • Located on main floor of home
    • 10 XPods on the main and upstairs area at the moment
  • Nighthawk X10 (Connected via Cat8 E to Tecnicolor modem/router)
    • Located in basement
    • WiFi Bands used in basement area 
      • Bose 300 Soundbar and associated speakers
      • Nest Cameras
  • JGS524PE (LAG connection to Nighthawk X10)
    • Located in basement
    • Multiple computers and devices connected Cat8
      • Wife's business CPU / Printer
      • My business CPU
      • Samsung TV

I would like to create a small business network that provides security through separation and port management. I have the following wants/needs:

• Design for the future or built to be expandable
  • Secure network
  • Highspeed Modem/Router that i own and do not rent
    • LAG capable
    • VoIP capable
  • 10G Trunk between switches and storage (SFP/SFP+ or other recommended)
  • Axis Cameras to eliminate the monthly Nest cost (Actually have 4 still in the box i haven't used)
  • Media Management

Equipment I have gotten quoted but need help to ensure it will meet the needs above:

• CAX80 (or SXR80) - i would like this to work with the new 6 Tri-Band technology.  Which one works best?
    • It was initially suggested the BR200 but after review seems limited significantly between LAN & WAN
  • RN524XE6 ($3,800) - should i go with this one or the rack mount below?  Do i need redundant NAS for optimal performance?
    • 526X is on sale for $2K off and currently $5,700
  • XS728T ($2,099)
  • GS728TXP ($1,100)

Please supply any feedback that you can to help me be sucessful.  I am very ignorant about alot and somewhat scared to be on the board asking questions.  But my respect for the intellectual exchanges here gave me the courage.  Appreciate any guidance.

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage, S3300-28X-PoE+ (GS728TXP)|ProSafe 24 ports stackable smart switches with POE+, XS728T|28-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP+ Ports
Message 1 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Home Network Upgrade - 10G In Home - 1G ISP Connection

@jtclaw0804,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

You may want to consider the network setup below:

for jtclaw0804.jpg

From the network diagram above, I assume that you have a spacious house.  The modem is connected to the WAN port of the BR200 firewall router.  The BR200 firewall router supports VLAN.  You will need to configure VLANs to segregate networks.  For example: you need to separate the Private (or Admin) network from the Guest network.  A LAN port of the BR200 firewall router is connected to a port of the 1st S3300-28X-PoE+ smart switch.  The port of the 1st S3300-28X-PoE+ connected to the BR200 should be configured as a tagged port so that it will become a trunk link. Tagging the port is needed in order to identify which VLAN the packet belongs to. 

The S3300-28X-PoE+ smart switch supports VLAN and PoE+ (Power over Ethernet).  One port of the 1st S3300-28X-PoE+ is connected to the WAX610 access point deployed at the main floor and another port is connected to the WAX610 access point deployed upstairs.  Since the S3300-28X-PoE+ supports PoE+, it can power on the WAX610 access points through its LAN/PoE+ port.

The 2nd S3300-28X-PoE+ is connected to the first S3300-28X-PoE+ via LAG (or LACP).  Another WAX610 access point deployed at the basement is connected to the 2nd S3300-28X-PoE+.  

The ports connecting the S3300-28X-PoE+ and the WAX610 should be configured as tagged ports as well because the WAX610 is a VLAN-aware device.  Since the WAX610 also supports VLAN, you can assign a wireless network dedicated to the Private network and Guest network.  

The RN526X is connected to the 10G port of the 2nd S3300-28X-PoE+ and its connected to the Private VLAN. 

To learn more about the BR500, S3300-28X-PoE+ (GS728TXP), WAX610 and the RN526X, kindly access their respective data sheets below:

BR200 Data Sheet

S3300-28X-PoE+ Data Sheet

WAX610 Data Sheet

RN526X Data Sheet

To take advantage of Fast Roaming and Mesh, the WAX610 should be managed via NETGEAR Insight.  A 1-year Insight subscription is included on the BR200 and WAX610 when you purchase it.  To know more about NETGEAR Insight, kindly access the links below:

What can I do with NETGEAR Insight?

What devices can I discover, monitor, and manage with NETGEAR Insight?

NETGEAR Insight Subscription

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
jtclaw0804
Aspirant

Re: Home Network Upgrade - 10G In Home - 1G ISP Connection

Thank you so much for the design help.  I had already purchased an OrbiPRO Router, setup as an Access Point, with 2 satellites.  This was the equipment recommended by a NetGear GearHead.  I may have purchased equipment not best suited for my application. 

The NAS Storage device has not arrived, it went from available to back order.  So i am sitting here incomplete and struggling somewhat with setting it up. 

There is more reading to be done on my part to resolve the issues i am having.  Likely a few more support calls :(. 

I sincerely appreciate your help!!! 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements