× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Hook up MR1100 to Wifi Router

RonOnThePond
Aspirant

@Case850

Okay, but keep in mind that I fly by the seat of my pants with networking. I've worked in IT all my life, but regretably never studied networking, and it remains my main area of ignorance. So I can tell you what I have and how it's set up, but I can't tell you why it works, and my network vocabulary is lacking.

I am using the MR1100 Nighthawk as my only internet source. I have no other options. I use a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE, which has served me well. My desktop PC is connected to the router via Ethernet, as are two Unifi access points that provide wireless coverage throughout my house.

Prior to the NH, I was using a Netgear LB2120 LTE modem, which worked very well but lately became flakey, so I got the NH. I did not want to change my excellent router/AP setup, just replace the modem. I thought I could just unplug the LB2120 and plug in the NH. Ha!

Out of the box, I connected the NH in place of my LB2120. No go. I looked at the NH settings (via the Android app) to look around. There is no bridge mode setting, so I thought it seemed logical to enable IP passthrough and disable DHCP (something I recall about double NATting being problematic?) on the NH, but that didn't work at all. Reset to factory settings and start over.

I noticed that the subnet (I think) my router was using 192.168.1.0 (range 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254. The router's IP is 192.168.1.1. Trying to understand this, I verified that all 19 devices currently connected were in that range.

Then I saw that out-of-the-box, the NH uses the same subnet, with the NH's Gateway IP address the same as my router's IP address (192.168.1.1). This felt like a conflict, and in fact the LB2120's IP address was 192.168.5.1 (when it was working). So I tried changing the NH's Gateway IP address to 192.168.5.1. I was prevented from doing that until I first changed its subnet to 192.168.5.20 - 192.168.5.99.

Rebooted all devices, and it worked. I think it's accurate to say that this resulted in two LANS, because the NH is still doing DHCP and wireless is active. I can log onto that wifi network directly, instead of my usual home LAN via the Ubiquiti/Unifi arrangement. In fact, I must log onto the NH directly to access the Mobile app and view/control its settings.

So far, I have not figured out how to access the web GUI for the NH via my desktop pc, connected to the router. I was able to do that with the LB2120, and I don't know what's different here (yet). Any suggestions?

If I left out a detail you need to know, be specific and I'll be happy to tell you. If none of this makes sense, don't say I didn't warn you at the outset.

I hope this helps someone!

Good luck!

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 26 of 62
WakeSS
Aspirant

Are you guys that are using Ethernet connected on AT&T?

On my mr1100 the eth port goes to sleep every time it swtiches towers or reboots (about every 12 hours or more). Ethernet power save is set to Disabled. Battery pulled. Wi-Fi power save disabled. I've been through about every post on this forum containing reference to the ethernet port.

I have to connect via Wi-fi, push button on mr1100, switch data offload to ethetnet (link light comes on), switch offload back to none.

Completely unreliable for my only internet source.

Thank you!

Message 27 of 62
RonOnThePond
Aspirant

Hi, WakeSS. The MR1100 has been my only internet source for several months and has been very good. I have had no issues with the ethernet port.

I power the MR1100 via the USB port. Its battery has probably never been used. because it is plugged into a UPS which would kick in is for a few seconds if we lose power in the house, but seconds later we always have power again because we have a 50 KW whole-house generator. So I can't really help with battery-related questions.

The ethernet port is connected to my router. My desktop computer is connected via ethernet to the router. Two Ubiquiti Unifi WiFi transmitters are connected to the router, providing excellent WiFi coverage throughout the house. The ethernet jack on the MR1100 has worked fine for me and never goes to sleep (that I know of). I have never had to plug/unplug it, even after rebooting the MR1100 on occasion. However, there is nearly no tower switching because there are few towers nearby. However, yesterday for some unknown reason it did find other towers and did some tower hopping with mixed results, but never did I lose functionality of the ethernet port.

I have not messed around with the data offload function at all. It is OFF and has always been off.

If you want me to look at anything else for you let me know. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Message 28 of 62
SantiagoGF
Aspirant

Hi, I am planning to connect my Mac Airport to this MR1100, could you please give me your advice?

Message 29 of 62
helix919
Tutor

RonOnThe Pond,  I mean no disrespect, but if I'm not mistaken your setup is doing a Double-NAT.  While this isn's specifically a problem it's not really ideal. 

We shold be able to simply place the MR1100 in IP Passthrough connect the modem to a router either via USB (for ASUS routers) or Ethernet and use this as a typical LTE gateway.  However it seems this isn't the design netgear had in mind.  I've been working with this device for months and it's quite limited both in documentation and in it's configuration to allow for this use case.

I am very happy that your setup is effective and totally working for you, however I wish the IP Passthrough functioned properly to allow for you (and me) to use the device as an LTE bridge and have our routers handle the upstream NAT function with the Carrier.

Just my 2 cents....

Message 30 of 62
fire703
Aspirant

I have the MR 1100 Nighthawk Mobile Hot Spot and want to hook it to a Netgear AC750 Wireless Router so I can hook two other computers to it by eithernet cord and also have wireless.  I need some help. I have tried it two or three times and I cannot get it to work.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 31 of 62
fire703
Aspirant

I  just bought the MR1100 Nighthawk to use only as an LTE modem in my house. I want to connect   it    to   my   router   and   let   the   router do   the rest. I need to hook it to two other computers with eithernet and some wireless divices.  I am using a Netgear AC750. I have tried and can not get it to work any help would be great. 

Message 32 of 62
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi @fire703,

I have the MR1100 and have done something similar to what you are asking.  Note that the Nighthawk is itself a router.  And that it's default IP address is 192.168.1.1 or 192.1.0.1 -- which may be conflicting with your actual router.  First, I would try changing the subnet of either the MR1100 or your router so that they don't conflict.  In theory the MR1100 Etherner port could be connected to the "WAN" port of your router but you would be "double-NAT'ing"  Alternatively, if you disable DHCP on your router (and leave it enabled on your MR1100) you could connect the MR1100 to the "LAN".  This would effectively just use the router as a switch only.  But for this to work, all of the devices (MR1100, router, clients) will need to be in the same subnet e.g. 192.168.1.x and not have conflicting IP addreses.

Alternatively, you could put your router in "bridge" or "AP mode" (if it has such a setting) or buy an inexpensive wireless access point to use in lieu of your router.  Like this one for example (I have several of these and the EAP245 as well)

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-EAP225-V3-Wireless-Supports/dp/B0781YXFBT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545...

Given that you want to hook up some PC's as well.  You'll need a small switch like this one too.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Protection-GS105NA/dp/B0000BVYT3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF...

The MR1100 works great in this application.  I just used mine the other day while my internet was out while Verizon was upgrading my FIOS to Gigabit!

Message 33 of 62
fire703
Aspirant

Thanks I will try that

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US), MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 34 of 62
fire703
Aspirant

Does anyone have a problem with Port 80 blocked on the Ethernet connection only on the M1 Nighthawk . The wifi works great I am streaming a scanner frequency for a fire dept on the wifi, when I plug the E-dispatch detector in to a Eithernet connection from the M1 to the Eithernet connection  Port 80 is blocked and it will not stream.

Need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 35 of 62
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi @fire703,

Hmmm, that seems unlikely.  Port 80 is the most commonly used port on the internet.  Most websites (unless they are SSL encrypted -- aka https: :443) use port 80.

Hook up any laptop and try to browse the internet to test it.  Note that most sites/browsers these days are often automatically connecting to port 443 so your traffic in encrypted.

My guess is that the error message you are getting is a red herring.  Most likely port 80 is the outbound port and the inbound port (some other higher number) is what is being blocked.  Or the device doesn't like being behind a NAT (which would be strange).

Sometimes you have to setup manual port forwarding and/or a DMZ for some older devices to support bi-directional communications through a router/firewall like the MR1100.

If you take the device home, does it worth through the broadband router in your house / office and just not through the MR1100?

Message 36 of 62
fire703
Aspirant

Yes you can take a laptop and plug it in and it will surf the net fine. The  E-dispatches detector uses the internet to listen to fire tones and then record whatever department is paged out ,record the message then text it out with a mp3 file to the proper department that has the call in their district. It works fine plugged into the router from Cableone Cable Internet, but when we go to the ATT Nighthawk M1 LTE  it will not stream. I spoke to ATT rep and they said I have to have a static IP address that will cost more a month to make this work. I spoke to the rep at E-dispatches and he said they can program their unit with a static IP address but he does not think that is the problem.

Message 37 of 62
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

There are a couple possibilities going on:

1) inbound (traffice from the E-Dispatch servers going to your E-Dispatch client device may be being blocked or filtered by AT&T.  In general, Cellular network operators are very selective about what kind of incoming traffic they permit on their networks.  Using a VPN is one way around this.

2) The MR1100 itself ight be preventing the in bound traffic.  Setting up a DMZ is one way around this.

I found this info from the vendor which lists the IP address and ports

http://support.edispatches.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2231527-technical-information

To setup a DMZ on the MR1100  go to page 47

https://www.netgear.com/images/InstallationGuide/mobile/MR1100ATT/MR1100ATT-USERS-MANUAL.pdf

Be sure your E-Dispatch client is set to DHCP and use that IP as the forwarding address for the DMZ.

I know it is not recommended, but can your E-Dispatch client use a Wifi connection?  Can you try connecting it via Wifi to a hotspot on your phone (on the same or different plan/carrier) to try and rule out whether it is a "cellular issue" or whether it is a "MR1100 issue"?

Message 38 of 62
fire703
Aspirant

Thanks I will try those things and let you know.

Thanks again.

Message 39 of 62
fire703
Aspirant

IMG_2860.jpgI just did away with the wireless router and got a Ethernet swich box and it works great. I do however still have the problem with the unit not wanting to stream off the Ethernet cord. The unit that I am plugging the ethernet cord into is a detector from e-dispatch and I do not have acess to it . ATT finally said you need a different hot spot with a different sku. Since then I have had ATT send me another Netgear Hot Spot and tell me it will work all I just have to do is lower the mtu from 1500 to 1300. I went into the command on my computer and lowered the mtu on local area connection to 1300. But when I look at the mtu on the hot spot it will not change from 1500. I need it be 1300 on the hot spot for it to stream. What can I do to get this to change?

Message 40 of 62
Myangelbear4
Aspirant

ArodiD, 😊 your solution was perfect for me! I did not need to disable ip pass through or any other steps. I did stop the WiFi network from broadcasting on the MR1100 so it would not be confusing. Thank you so much!

Message 41 of 62
eg1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I could not resolve error message networking error data offloading disabled due to conflicting IP address when i tried to do data offloading with MR 1100 until I read your suggestion. it worked perfectly. Many thanks.
Message 42 of 62
fire703
Aspirant

Ethernet quit working on MR1100 any suggestions wi fi works great

Message 43 of 62
MicW
Luminary

Hi fire703

Have you tried a different cable,

is the cable you are using a straight through or a cross over,

do you get a termination light when it is plugged in,

have you tried plugging the other end of the M1 cable into a different device,

have you tried plugging a differnt device into the device port the M1 is currently using,

also inspect the ethernet port and make sure there isn't anything in there,

or any of the pins bent out of place.

Message 44 of 62
fire703
Aspirant

Yes I did try a different cord. I did plug it into another unit and the light does still not blink like it is sending info. I did look for any bent pins and I did not see any. It was woring ok and then it quit. I did change it from 1500 mtu to 1480 mtu but that should have not affected right? I was told to do this my Netgear rep to try get a detector to stream off e-dipatch. Could it be in the set up of the router?

Message 45 of 62
MicW
Luminary

Fair point , there is a setting in the M1 to put the ethernet to sleep. Have you checked if it is set to disable or sleep after 2 minutes? Set to "disable" if you want the ethernet port to remain active all the time. Settings > setup> Mobile router Setup > Ethernet standby. I also remember an early firmware would sleep the ethernet port immediately after start up I'm using NTG9X50C_10.25.01.01. There may be newer available . I haven't checked for a while as I haven't had any issues.
Message 46 of 62
MicW
Luminary

Also try pinging the ethernet IP of the M1 to confirm if it is responding. If all else fails then try resetting the MTU back to default. If the MTU is incorrect for your ISP then you would have issues using the net.
Message 47 of 62
fire703
Aspirant

Yes I have that disabled

Thanks

Message 48 of 62
fire703
Aspirant

How do you ping the ethernet ip.

Message 49 of 62
MicW
Luminary

First you need the private ip address of the M1, most likely it will be 192.168.1.1, you can confirm that if you have a windows pc by opening a command window and typing ipconfig and reading the gateway address.Another place you can find that address is under settings>mobile router setup>gateway ip adress in the M1 settings itself. Once you have the address type ping 192.168.1.1 (or what ever your address is that you found earlier) if you get a reply then the ethernet port is awake and working.

Message 50 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7