× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

How I activated my LTE Modem on Verizon

Rudedog614
Guide

How I activated my LTE Modem on Verizon

I am sharing this in case it is helpful to someone else who wants to use one of the NETGEAR LTE Modems (LB1120, LB1121, LB2120) on Verizon.

Using the online ordering system, Verizon will not recognize the NETGEAR device ids (IMEI #s) as valid devices. From other posts I found on the internet, many people suggested activating the SIM card in another device and then moving the SIM to the LTE Modem. I did not have any unregistered devices handy, so I needed to find another solution.

Knowing just enough to be dangerous, I realized that the IMEI contains manufacturer, model and serial number data that Verizon must be validating, and they have not added the NETGEAR LTE Modems for some reason. I found an IMEI online for a supported LTE device and mangled the serial number portion until it worked for me. Verizon allowed me to complete the order process, assigned me a number and accepted the connection from the LTE Modem. (I am still having an SMS issue, reported in another post, that may or may not be related to how I activated the SIM.)

I found an IMEI for a Verizon MiFi  device online that was: 

99000329xxxxxxy

Using the website IMEI.INFO this serial number breaks down as:

Model: MIFI 4510L
Brand: NOVATEL
IMEI: 
  TAC (Type Allocation Code)........: 990003 
  FAC (Final Assembly Code, aka Mfg): 29 
  SNR (Serial NumbeR)...............: xxxxxx 
   CD (calculated Luhn CheckDigit)..: y

I replaced the xxxxxx with more or less random digits and then figured out the checkdigit. You can use math or a tool to calculate the checkdigit, but the tool at IMEI.INFO uses Javascript validation for the checkdigit, so it is maybe faster to try the digits 0..9 to find the one that passes validation.

Btw, my local Verizon store gave me a few SIM cards no questions asked. As part of the online order process, you have to enter the SIM card number after you get past the device id validation.

Hopefully this information and approach will be helpful for some of you.

Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: How I activated my LTE Modem on Verizon

Hello Rudedog614

Thanks for sharing this info

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
msingewald
Aspirant

Thank you for this.  I used your 8 digit prefix, the 6 digit serial from the LB1120, and the single check digit which I determined from the calculator on the IMEI.INFO site.  Worked perfectly the first time.  Verizon gave me a Micro SIM card, but I think I get dinged for the $40 actviation fee.  Can't win them all! 

Message 3 of 5
Micamelus
Aspirant

So, wait...

How did you change the imei on the 4G LTE Modem?

I'm not that familiar with script and I tried looking earlier on how to change it, but it seems like I couldn't find a place?

I hope you can help me out. Thanks! It'd be of great help! 🙂
Message 4 of 5
msingewald
Aspirant

I did not change it on the modem, I just gave Verizon a fictitious one. They don’t need the real one for it to work.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7