× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

How to disable SIP ALG on the MR1100?

Chieftan
Aspirant

How to disable SIP ALG on the MR1100?

Hi, I am running a single VOIP channel over my MR1100 (latest firmware NTG9X50C_12.05.05.12).  Calls get cut off, and my VOIP provider had me run a test that shows SIP ALG is enabled on my MR1100 modem.  They say I need it to be disabled for VOIP to run reliably.

I temporarilly switched my intenet hookup to a DSL modem that does not have SIP ALG enabled, and the VOIP problems went away.

I saw a reference in this post that it can't be turned of "easily" on the MR1100.  So how do I turn it of un-easily?

Upgrade to the MR2100 is not an option, as I don't believe it is yet available in the USA.  Plus, when it does come out, I'm sure it will be a zillion dollars, and I'm on a budget.

Thanks!

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Chieftan
Aspirant

Re: How to disable SIP ALG on the MR1100?

Interesting development (and solution!)

I found that if I enable "IP Passthrough" on the MR1100, the POE test program registers that SIP ALG has been disabled, and that the environment on my LAN is now acceptable for POE.  Guessing this is because the NAT is no longer functioning within the MR1100?  (Essentially, I was double-NATed before.....once at the MR1100 modem, and again at my WNDR4500 router.)

To accomodate this setup, I switched my router 's WAN configuration to "Get IP Address Dynamically from ISP", and it works like a charm.  I am also still able to access the MR1100's configuration via wired eithernet from my LAN by using the Gateway address I assigned (SNM 255.255.225.0) under "Mobile Router Setup".

The only disadvantage is that I can't use the onboard wireless anymore, but that's OK since I only used it for a direct connection when debugging with an iPad, and I can still tunnel through from the LAN side of my router.  As long as I don't really screw things up, I can always access if from my LAN.

I would imagine I can turn off my DMZ (which was pointing to the WAN side of my router), and also the DHCP on the MR1100 (who's sole purpose was to assign an IP to any wireless device that I might connect to it for troubleshooting purposes).  Note: I also have "Ethernet Standby" disabled.

I ran a test where I called our landline from our POE phone.  The call never disconnected until 12 hours later in the middle of the night.  Not sure if that was due to a connection issue, or an imposed max call time of the POE provider or the landline telco.  Either way, I call it a very successful test!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Chieftan
Aspirant

So, it turns out that you can Telnet to this router and play with some of the internal settings. Don't ask me why I'm so sure of that fact Smiley Very Happy

See this link on how to do it.  Be aware you can do damage if you don't know what you are doing.  Note you have to do this through USB tether on port 5510. (Ethernet wired or wireless has no access to telnet!)

Anyway, what I need to know is "What is the command to disable SIP ALG from the telnet interface"?

(I'm guessing this is the "hard way" that was implied when it was said the "easy way" is through the GUI!"

I wish I knew how the author of the linked page above figured out the available commands....

Message 2 of 3
Chieftan
Aspirant

Interesting development (and solution!)

I found that if I enable "IP Passthrough" on the MR1100, the POE test program registers that SIP ALG has been disabled, and that the environment on my LAN is now acceptable for POE.  Guessing this is because the NAT is no longer functioning within the MR1100?  (Essentially, I was double-NATed before.....once at the MR1100 modem, and again at my WNDR4500 router.)

To accomodate this setup, I switched my router 's WAN configuration to "Get IP Address Dynamically from ISP", and it works like a charm.  I am also still able to access the MR1100's configuration via wired eithernet from my LAN by using the Gateway address I assigned (SNM 255.255.225.0) under "Mobile Router Setup".

The only disadvantage is that I can't use the onboard wireless anymore, but that's OK since I only used it for a direct connection when debugging with an iPad, and I can still tunnel through from the LAN side of my router.  As long as I don't really screw things up, I can always access if from my LAN.

I would imagine I can turn off my DMZ (which was pointing to the WAN side of my router), and also the DHCP on the MR1100 (who's sole purpose was to assign an IP to any wireless device that I might connect to it for troubleshooting purposes).  Note: I also have "Ethernet Standby" disabled.

I ran a test where I called our landline from our POE phone.  The call never disconnected until 12 hours later in the middle of the night.  Not sure if that was due to a connection issue, or an imposed max call time of the POE provider or the landline telco.  Either way, I call it a very successful test!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7